Rift
First Page 2 ... 31 32 33
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 06:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

With Rift's Head Start opening up tomorrow, I thought it was time to create a general thread for Rift. It and WoW General will stay stickied in the Arcade section.

If you're a douchebag, you will be topic banned. This isn't a thread for you to troll in. That being said, discussions about the pros/cons of Rift are encouraged and welcome.

Links
Rift Head Start

Telerapedia
Zam's Soul Builder
Other Rift Fansites

My shameless plug: TehKrizz.net (Rift FAQ and beginner's guide)

Server List:
[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
Server: Leviathan
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2011-02-23 06:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the beta for a few days and it was a little to much like wow for my taste. I read what alot you posted in the last thread maybe i didnt give it enough of a chance to see the differences.

Hmmmm i might try it out during one of my ffxi brakes i take.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 06:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I only played about 10 minutes worth of WoW (free trial). It reminded me of LOTRO so I went back to playing that. Rift has a lot of things I enjoyed from LOTRO, but a much, much more complex class system.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 07:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Part 2 of my beginner's guide has been posted. I explain more about the soul tree system.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 07:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So back to the discussion about which server to go to, what timezone is everyone in and how much raiding do you plan on doing?
[+]
 Unicorn.Tessy
Server: Unicorn
user: Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-02-23 07:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
So back to the discussion about which server to go to, what timezone is everyone in and how much raiding do you plan on doing?

Hi Krizz,

As I have mentioned erlier are anyone welcome to jon our Rift LS, we start of as a social LS, but of course long terms looking to do some endgame stuff, but for starters start to enjoy the games all aspects, learn how Rift in all general works, what classes etc.. Most of the guys in our LS play in GMT times, but we also have some NA players who joined us. Again anyone is more then welcome to join!

So far we haven't decide if we are going on defiand or Guardian sides. But I will update the topic when we get settled in and anyone get a free choice, otherwise I wish you all happy hunting on new grounds insde Rift :)

/Tessy
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 07:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Tessy, which shard is your guild planning to be on? I don't see it on your guild site.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-02-23 08:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Tessy, which shard is your guild planning to be on? I don't see it on your guild site.

@Krizz, We haven't decided yet, I Will talk to the guys tomorrow to get a final Call on wich side We choose. Sorry for the crap spelling writting from my iPhone atm.

Our RIFT Website is here

The site needs a loving touch, I'll start on the site this weekend.

Tessy

Edit: I just got an SMS, our new Rift LS Will choose "Defiant side"
 Asura.Tristean
Server: Asura
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2011-02-23 08:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao .. I need to read... a;lsjdflasjkdf
 Unicorn.Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-02-23 08:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tristean said:

You need to read what?
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-02-23 08:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tessy said:
Asura.Tristean said:
You need to read what?
He edited his post. He originally asked if they released a shard list. :P
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 09:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tessy said:
Right now I plan on going Guardian. Unless I change my mind in the next few days, maybe we'll meet in the battlefield.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 09:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Defiants are probably going to outnumber Guardians by quite a bit at launch. We're probably rolling Guardians as well though. Rolled Kelari in beta but the High Elf/Bahmi leap proved too good to pass up. They should make the fox more useful :<
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 09:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, please tell me there's going to be a better character design system with the actual launch. Half the time it felt like I was going for the look that I disliked least rather than choosing features I actually liked. Was my biggest gripe with the game tbh.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 09:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Also, please tell me there's going to be a better character design system with the actual launch. Half the time it felt like I was going for the look that I disliked least rather than choosing features I actually liked. Was my biggest gripe with the game tbh.
I was listening to a podcast the other day. They're not going to expand on the character design very much, if at all, due to performance. They want to maintain their current level of performance.
 Unicorn.Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-02-23 09:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Unicorn.Tessy said:
Right now I plan on going Guardian. Unless I change my mind in the next few days, maybe we'll meet in the battlefield.

That is allright, you are welcome :)
By Wombat 2011-02-23 09:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the noobliness of this question:

How do the graphics/art of Rift compare to those of WoW?
By Trentweskin 2011-02-23 09:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly the graphics really are not that impressive. Even at max settings it is quite disappointing despite whatever HD screen shots you may have come across.

Also the game play is quite lacking. In it's purest form, RIFT is a World of Warcraft clone with a better class system. While beta testing, within the first 10 levels you have access to the 3 class structure which was fun. However the quests are uninspiring and it honestly feels like a free to play mmorpg.

I was just expecting a better game for all of the hype.
But then again let's re-examine FFXIV :(.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 10:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't like the storyline or just the quests in general?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 11:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Faeblight RP
Gnarlwood PvE

Those seem to be the two servers that a majority of the people I've talked to are going to.
By Trentweskin 2011-02-23 12:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I find the quests to be so repetitive and without any originality.
Nothing that anyone hasn't seen or done before.
Kill this, collect this, and it isn't even done in a clever way.

I was also not a big fan of the rifts themselves. I often found myself so clustered with other people and the constant spamming of spells that I couldn't even tell what was going on.

However this is just my opinion, I personally will continue to play FFXI until suitable changes are made to FFXIV. Either that or wait for the eventual release of Diablo 3, which ever comes first.

If Duke Nukem Forever is finally going to be released, I have hope for D3.
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
Server: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2011-02-23 12:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if any decent laptop or desktop could run this properly.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 12:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand not liking the quest grind.

I love the rifts. It's pure chaos until someone higher level or with the right build comes in and starts tanking things. All I do is join the public group and try to keep people alive. If it's a weaker rift, I'll just test my solo build and see if I can stay alive while tanking.

I actually had a rift where I died 6 times. It was ridiculous. I was also 3-4 levels lower than the mobs.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 12:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Mmbacon said:
I was wondering if any decent laptop or desktop could run this properly.
Once Head Start kicks off tomorrow I'll see how my laptop does. It can play FFXIV on low settings (this is prior to the settings change they made).

Edit:
Minimum System Specifications
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500, or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specifications
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection)
 Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: izzlet
By Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia 2011-02-23 13:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm playing on a laptop with a crappy old 128 mb video card atm, the game runs alright, kinda jittery here and there, except during rifts where there's lots of people. That's when it gets bad. I ran into problems on the weekend while I was trying out the defiant side, so many people on the iron giant boss that my game froze and crashed, lol. I'm pretty patient with the lag, though. :\

idk why they even make gpus that aren't integrated with the motherboard if it's impossible to find a place to buy an upgrade anyway. getting a whole new desktop soon since i can't find a place to buy parts for my laptop ~_~
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 13:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated server list.

Spross-Passage (German PvE) and Tempête (French RP)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-02-23 14:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rift's "Legacy Renderer" allows you to play with slightly below minimum specifications. If you want to run at max settings though, be prepared to shell out for 1 or 2 GTX580s and a sandy bridge processor.

My vote's for Gnarlwood on Guardians. I'll definitely be rolling other characters on other servers, (GamebreakerTV's PvP guild on Seastone woooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO), so exactly what we do isn't my concern, I can have fun regardless, and we can always make a chapter of the guild on both sides.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 14:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much anything made within the last 3 years or so that has an actual graphics card rather than an integrated unit should be able to get playable framerates.
 Asura.Tristean
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2011-02-23 14:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The low renderer for graphics makes the game look like a half step above WoW.

But overall, that's the one thing I was disappointed about was how the game looked.

FFXIV spoiled me in that department... I still log on to just look a pretty things... but then quickly log off because I'm remind of how SE ripped my heart out.

And good luck finding a MMO nowadays that isn't played through some type of questing. It works, that's the only reason MMOs have it. A lot of westerners will say, "Grinding mobs = Asian games over there"

So what're you guys going to name some of your characters?
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-02-23 14:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I really just don't find XIV to be all that "pretty". :\ It just has this... sandpapery feel to it. I dunno, maybe it just seems too realistic for my fantasy MMO style, but it just seems off to me. ><
[+]
First Page 2 ... 31 32 33