VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-07-14 15:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Valefor.Thelaughingman said: »
Let's do some good old theorycrafting for a lazy White Mage.

Can someone tell me why this set isn't the perfect TP set for WHM/NIN as of the time of writing?

I would be going with this if I ever poored that much gil into a whm mule. Atm just using redingote and zelus/goading instead though

I'd probably say savateur's gaiters would beat blessed pumps +1. Since you're only losing that insignificant amount of haste between "25%" and true cap, the other stats would do more for you. Oh, and iirc, Brutal is gimping you with a KClub.
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-07-14 16:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

AFAIK, Brutal is only bad if both of your weapons stand to be reduced by it. With a reasonably powerful weapon in the main-hand that isn't averaging a higher number of attacks/round than Brutal's bonus, it should still be optimal.

Someone is free to chime in and tell me that's incorrect, though.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-14 16:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It ends up a few hundredths of a percentage point in Ghillie+1's favor unless your attack is capped.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-14 16:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Also no, Savateur's gaiters don't win. Kthonios/Shedir/Rubeus/Ninurta/Iuvenalis/Blessed+1 is the optimal haste combination for anything a WHM will be hitting.
[+]
 Valefor.Thelaughingman
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Thelaughingman 2012-07-16 03:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Because you have 28% haste, for starters.

WHM is very attack and fSTR starved, so incorporating those things is a good idea. You're also going to be mostly meleeing weak things, so accuracy is usually not a big deal. Evergreen Earring is pretty terrible.

Probably a fair assessment against the Earring, Ghillie is probably better, although it would cut into Subtle Blow (but only a very, very small amount).

I'm aware it goes a little too far with haste. The issue is that I couldn't find something I considered a good tradeoff against it - for example, dropping more then 2 sTP would drop it down a hit, and using a Brutal will gimp the Kraken Club.

Dropping Savateur's Gaiters in order to drop the Haste down for example, would drop you below the Subtle Blow cap. Muddle Pumps were something I considered since they add +5 STR while keeping as much accuracy, but the Subtle Blow seemed better then +5 STR.

Furthermore, most White Mage sets I've traditionally seen have been geared towards getting TP faster so you can spam Hexa/Realmrazer faster, since that greatly outpaces white damage generally - I'll need a bit of math to be convinced of any build that raises hit requirements to do more damage during auto-attack rounds, although trading accuracy/attack is something easier to understand without busting out the numbers.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Also no, Savateur's gaiters don't win. Kthonios/Shedir/Rubeus/Ninurta/Iuvenalis/Blessed+1 is the optimal haste combination for anything a WHM will be hitting.

That's 1% short on Haste unless you can pull the exact Haste values to actually cap out Haste.

Store TP actually matters a small amount, since it will be reducing the amount of hits needed, and adding double attack gear nerfs your Kraken Club, so a White Tathlum would be absolutely required to make a Kthonios set worthwhile. Additionally, I feel Iuvenalis is the wrong choice, +7 STR isn't going to be worth the 1% extra Haste.

The argument I really see is the +14 attack during auto-attack rounds against +8 accuracy and being able to cap Subtle Blow. Additionally, since the set I originally set forward has the added bonus of having a bit of haste leeway, you could use the Iuvenalis in that set instead, adding +7 STR, which shallows the gap between the two sets if both strive to cap their haste like any good set will do.

Kthonios/Shedir/Blessed+1/Rubeus/Ninurta/Blessed+1/White Tathlum probably wins out over Zelus/Shedir/Iuvenalis/Rubeus/Goading/Savateur's/White Tathlum in terms of damage while keeping the same hit count, since it is about twice the attack for half the accuracy and being able to cap Subtle Blow. I think the stat difference is still small enough however to make it a somewhat hard choice between the two.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-16 04:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Better start throwing AGI gear into your TP set too since that effects subtle blow.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 06:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really glad we're making simple mathematical decisions based on feelings now.

You're free to make inferior decisions. For everyone else, here's the set you should be using versus anything that WHM has business smacking in the face in the first place:

Flame Sachet vs. Smart Grenade is a toss up based on the target's VIT. Sachet is better approximately half the time.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 06:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

But you know, it's not like I didn't say it a few pages back already.

Using Dynamis DCs as a target to simulate content where melee WHM can actually be applicable (Red Curry Buns assumed)

TP

WS:
I'm assuming you have Realmrazer, because if you're going to make a relic, you might as well use it to its full potential:

Appear to be optimal.

tl;dr Use your redignote for something else (even Hedera + Kthonios is better)
I was wrong about smart grenade (underestimated fSTR - that said it's 50/50 on whether you get fSTR increase ... still, there's no way to predict whether you will or not)
Inquisitor's doesn't seem to be good for anything
Iuvenalis and Healer's +1 are interchangeable on Realmrazer
Don't bother with Neptune's Pearls, Ghillie x 2 all the way
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 07:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also not only does Iuvenalis come out ahead, it also serves for inventory+1, because you don't need to carry around separate WS hands.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-16 08:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

:x but I love my white mittens
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 09:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Go sit in a corner.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-16 09:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

dayum gurlfrand
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 09:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Now if we can cut the *** with 28% haste sets and accuracy/subtle blow on bloody kclub melee WHM, will someone do something useful like test for pDIF penalties on Hexa Strike and Mystic Boon?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-16 10:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

P.S. puks at MMJSP are pretty cool for that sort of thing
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 10:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't bring that sass up in here.

Sekurrity, this *** got to go.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camaroz
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2012-07-16 10:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really glad we're making simple mathematical decisions based on feelings now.

[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 10:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of feelings, my feelings tell me that this is the best boon:

Although I may have forgotten to emotion out Mudddle Pumps when I put it together.
Regardless, Legion so...my mystic boon set willl have to do without
, if emotions end up showing that they're better.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 10:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mystic boon yo.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-16 10:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Go sit in a corner.
:\
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 10:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalli, you'll know this, what's the highest you can get BOOST-STR /NIN and what does it involve?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 10:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, no use of weapon or sub slot.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2012-07-16 11:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

+22 STR (378+16+77=471)

Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-16 11:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalli, you'll know this, what's the highest you can get BOOST-STR /NIN and what does it involve?
Sorry, wasn't at the computer.

Zenith Crown +1 (Aug)8
Colossus's Torque7
Augment. Earring3
Aptus Earring (Aug)2
Anhur Robe12
Ayao's Gages10
Merciful Cape5
Olympus Sash5
Clr. Pantaln. +218
Orsn. Duckbills +220

378 + 16 + 90 = 484, 4 waste, +23 STR

Remove either earring to save inventory space.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 12:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

All right then, looks like the 21/22 I've been assuming in my calculations is about right then.

Ayao's gages :/
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-07-16 13:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a little more testing:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Talk:Hexa_Strike

It seems like the 300TP Crit rate is likely at or above 25% (but below 40%). Hexa Strike does not seem to have an attack penalty.

I'm not sure about Mystic Boon, but I think I can say for sure that it doesn't have an attack bonus.

Edit: Actually, considering I was using a 99 Yagrush... I think it's fairly safe to say Mystic Boon has a hefty attack penalty? I used it with 300 TP for 247 damage with the linked stats. It should have had 191 base damage based on the mods we have and should have been doing from about 350 to 730 damage with the fTPs and Ratio.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-16 14:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, an attack penalty on Mystic Boon seems almost fair.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-07-16 14:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm still testing it. I haven't repeated such a low value, so perhaps I missed my mainhand and landed my offhand. My new range is 391 -> 605 and my predicted range is 347 -> 677

I'm collecting data much faster now that I improved my technique. Melee the Bluffalo down to ~10%, disengage, Banish it down to 1-3%, WS it. If I'd done that from the start I'd probably be about done these tests by now.
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24