Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22721 22722 22723
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-10-16 11:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
It's a sandwich. Cook some meat and you're good to make your own for a week. Takes no time to throw a sandwich together, you get fresh veggies, skip the nitrates and other cancer causing *** in deli meat, and save money.
not sure how much overlap there is with the "exploit subway coupons" crowd and the "buy a weeks worth of raw meat and go batch cook it at home" crowd, lol

not sure how much cheaper all the ingredients, cook time, prep time and power bill would be compared to that ~38.00 a week cost for 5 footlong subs, but if you enjoy eating the same stale food for 5 days in a row and live near an easy access high quality cheap ingredient store, sounds good.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 11:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I work for PETA, I'm part of their anti-Chihuahua division.

My mental image of you was that guy that spend the day sitting on sofa scratching your balls while picking on Eiryl (and eventually Afania).

Well, good to know Im not entirely correct here then.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-10-16 11:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
PETA has done some wild stuff for the sake of "saving" animals
They believe that pets are doing involuntary servitude and must be released from it. As in better off dead.

Their "shelters" are 100% kill.

I could go on for a long time about PETA, their beliefs and what they actually do but I would really rather not. Too depressing.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-10-16 11:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »
not sure how much cheaper all the ingredients, cook time, prep time and power bill would be compared to that ~38.00 a week cost for 5 footlong subs, but if you enjoy eating the same stale food for 5 days in a row and live near an easy access high quality cheap ingredient store, sounds good.

Footlong sub has like 6 oz of meat. You can get a batch pack of chicken for $2.50/lb. That puts cost for a generous sandwich worth of meat at $1.25. If you gotta eat a foot long loaf of bread every day, you're probably paying at least $1.50 for that. With toppings and electricity, you're probably right that you aren't saving a whole lot of money upfront. But, you are saving the known carcinogens in deli meat and likely an eventual medical bill related to it. Amortize that out, and it might look better.

The rest of your complaints aren't well thought out. Driving to and from subway(or walking) is going to take longer than prepping the sandwich by minutes unless you live in a building with a subway. Add up those minutes all week, and you have the time it takes to batch prep meat and then some. You don't need a special store with 'quality ingredients' to beat the bagged garbage they offer at subway.

Well-prepared and stored meat is not 'stale' for 5 days. There's not even that much of a loss in quality on the 5th day. I get the impression you haven't cooked enough for it to be habit, and you view it as more work than it actually is because you never developed the skill.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-16 11:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

PETA is definitely one of those right idea but horrible execution deals.

I hate zoos, its an animal prison. No sugarcoating it. As one example. But I don't think they'd be better off dead or released, they were raised in captivity. They'd just die.

There's no good solutions only least worst solutions. Animals are sentient beings and deserve better than captivity. We literally breed them against their will and abduct their children (and sell them). Any outside species seeing that would consider us absolute monsters.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-10-16 12:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Footlong sub has like 6 oz of meat. You can get a batch pack of chicken for $2.50/lb. That puts cost for a generous sandwich worth of meat at $1.25. If you gotta eat a foot long loaf of bread every day, you're probably paying at least $1.50 for that. With toppings and electricity, you're probably right that you aren't saving a whole lot of money upfront. But, you are saving the known carcinogens in deli meat and likely an eventual medical bill related to it. Amortize that out, and it might look better.

The rest of your complaints aren't well thought out. Driving to and from subway(or walking) is going to take longer than prepping the sandwich by minutes unless you live in a building with a subway. Add up those minutes all week, and you have the time it takes to batch prep meat and then some. You don't need a special store with 'quality ingredients' to beat the bagged garbage they offer at subway.

Well-prepared and stored meat is not 'stale' for 5 days. There's not even that much of a loss in quality on the 5th day. I get the impression you haven't cooked enough for it to be habit, and you view it as more work than it actually is because you never developed the skill.
you are greatly overestimating the amount of viable grocery stores in america versus subways within walking distance or short drive distance compared to the population. Your argument sacrifices a great amount of variety with a different random meat each day and gives you most likely zero cost benefit, or costs even more. And your calculations regarding time are poor because the majority of americans dont work from home and they likely have multiple subways on the way home from work, meaning it's a couple minutes spent per day versus a great deal more time each day with your alterative.

I am far less optimistic then you if factoring in "grocery stores that sell chicken for 2.50/lb" and how much of the entire population is nearby one, compared to a subway.

The sub I listed had 16 oz of meat but I agree on the health decline risk with cold cuts and sadly when moving from Canada my favorite chicken breast sub and white cheddar was not offered here, so I have no idea what they currently push as alternatives to it.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-10-16 12:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

you are greatly overestimating the amount of viable grocery stores in america versus subways within walking distance or short drive distance compared to the population. Your argument sacrifices a great amount of variety with a different random meat each day and gives you most likely zero cost benefit, or costs even more. And your calculations regarding time are poor because the majority of americans dont work from home and they likely have multiple subways on the way home from work, meaning it's a couple minutes spent per day versus a great deal more time each day with your alterative.

Practically speaking, I do not think the average person should or would make sandwiches at home instead of going to subway. It's not a hill I'm going to die on.

That said, I am in a high cost of living area, and 19 of my last 21 meals cost under $3 in ingredients and hit my target macros. I have cooked well over 90% of my meals for years. I can prep a week worth of lunches and dinners for 2 people in under 2 hours, and each meal is fridge to table in under 3 minutes once prepped. That is an average of around 7 minutes total effort per meal (add 20 minutes shopping and it's closer to 8). Maybe you can park, get your sandwich, and get back in the car in under 8 minutes, but any perceived time savings are negligible. A couple customers ahead of you because you had to stop in during rush hour, or a missed light, will flip the balance.

Speaking from experience, cooking at home does not have to be an immense time sink. It isn't more expensive than subway, even if you abuse coupons. It's healthier, and it tastes just as good as anything with comparable nutrition. I think the practical issue is that people are addicted to sugars, oils, and the general practice of getting a different meal from a different culture every single day. That's a perfectly reasonable choice for many folks. But, based on my own experience, I don't think it's fair to say that eating subway exclusively is a particularly effective money or time-saving technique.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-10-16 18:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Practically speaking ...
Practically speaking the nearest subway to me is 60 miles. If I am traveling that far to shop I am not eating at subway.

But late this month I will be traveling for 4 - 5 days. Eating at subway once on that run, while the sale is on, I can get behind. Indeed, my budget practically demands it.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 18:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Call me when you go, we can have lunch together at subway
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 18:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, those subway prices are about the same as here, considering the money exchange ratio.

Dang, and now i feel like eating some, but its about time to sleep.

Gonna settle down with one cup of coffee
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-16 21:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I am in a high cost of living area
We all are :(
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-16 21:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Gonna settle down with one cup of coffee
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-10-16 22:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a sandwich. Cook some meat and you're good to make your own for a week. Takes no time to throw a sandwich together, you get fresh veggies, skip the nitrates and other cancer causing *** in deli meat, and save money.
not sure how much overlap there is with the "exploit subway coupons" crowd and the "buy a weeks worth of raw meat and go batch cook it at home" crowd, lol

Protip: The Ducks in the park are free.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 22:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The cats too
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-10-17 11:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, those subway prices are about the same as here, considering the money exchange ratio.
But isn't most everything else cheaper there?
By Pantafernando 2024-10-17 11:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a metric that can compare living costs between (some) countries, i think its the Big Mac metric.

I didnt check it, but a 1ft subway snack is relatively close to our 30cm one.

But i think a very good salary here is very poor to US salary, so kinda got me surprise those $5.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-17 11:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Though $5 is the discounted price.

So your discounted price is about the full one here
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-17 11:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-10-17 12:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Subway by me is pretty disgusting.

Mr Subs is where it's at.

Length doesn't matter, it's all about girth.

Basically 2 for $10, but it's more of a Chicago thing.
[+]
By Afania 2024-10-17 14:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a metric that can compare living costs between (some) countries, i think its the Big Mac metric.

I didnt check it, but a 1ft subway snack is relatively close to our 30cm one.

But i think a very good salary here is very poor to US salary, so kinda got me surprise those $5.

Big Mac metric is often used but I don't think it is entirely accurate tbh.

A quick Google shows that price of big Mac in Brazil is $4.81.
In my region it is around $2.5.

Except our GDP per Capita is 3 times higher and GDP(PPP) is even more than that.

In other words, big Mac price in Brazil is extremely expensive by comparison.

I don't know why the cost is being set that way, maybe tax or local competition causing undercut? I've heard that tax in Brazil can be high. but I personally don't trust this kind of metric.
 Phoenix.Vespajava
Server: Phoenix
user: Vespajava
By Phoenix.Vespajava 2024-10-17 15:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The 3~4 hours of cumulative shopping/prep/cook/portioning could be compared to say.... an online game that can effortlessly consume 3-4 hours in a day^.~ Your maffs checks out,too. Home cooking is far better on your pocket when you enjoy your process. Preach!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-17 15:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This week we had lots of conflicts.

About private servers, about AI, about the third bout, about bots/multiplayers, about expansion, about subway.

To sum up, this was a productive week.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-10-17 15:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Flurries in the forecast for Monday. lawl couldn't even make it to Halloween huh? It's not gonna last at all, but it's still annoying
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-17 15:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

1-you get snowstorms in july, ive been in them
2-mother nature had to remind the oilers hockey season started
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-10-17 15:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Flurries in the forecast for Monday. lawl couldn't even make it to Halloween huh?
I understand you are disappointed that it isn't a blizzard but at least its past your thanksgiving.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-17 16:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

American Thanksgiving has one purpose:
It is the marker designating which teams have a < 1% chance of making the nhl playoffs.

It used to be 0%, then something happened in the 2018-19 season and an exception was found when St. Louis went from second last at the start of December to go on to win the cup.
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-10-17 16:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot that just happened cuz I literally did nadda for it.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-10-17 17:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Meant to address this part but forgot, ironically you couldn't be farther from the truth; I used to short order cook professionally. These days I have to stretch a budget for 5 adults and do all of the grocery shopping for us and the visit 4-5 stores dance for the best deals etc.

My stance came from seeing a lot more data over the years contrary to your estimates. For example the average person drives 4 miles to their grocery store of choice. There are a lot of factors that people face increasing the pricing you originally stated in your comparison, regardless of us living in expensive parts of the country.

Your original reply stance of telling people to go cook meat was backpeddled into "I'm not saying people should do this"

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
American Thanksgiving has one purpose
Did you see the new thanksgiving pizza crap coming out this year? covered with turkey stuffing cranberry green beans etc just nasty. I need to get one to mess with the kids, lol.

And lastly the reason I actually loaded up the site at work today, doing an exam and got this question instantly without reading the material thanks to final fantaxy 11 auto translate, thanks to all those man-thras out there, lol.

Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-10-17 17:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

covered with turkey stuffing
Sounds delicious

By Pantafernando 2024-10-17 17:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks to all those man-thras out there, lol.

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22721 22722 22723