Views On Astral Burning?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Views on Astral burning?
Views on Astral burning?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 26 27 28
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-19 16:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Eh, exploiting level sync and use of summoner 2hr is clever more so than it's smart. But being clever for instant gratification isn't exactly conducive to anything other than being "leet" and in my opinion defeats the purpose of playing FFXI in the first place.

All you needed to say was, "Eh, exploiting level sync and use of summoner 2hr is clever BUT being clever for instant gratification isn't exactly conducive to anything other than being "leet" and in my opinion defeats the purpose of playing FFXI in the first place."

No need to even draw a fine distinction juxtaposing clever vs. smart... It's self-defeating when, as I wrote, the words can be used interchangeably. Your point is made clear enough with the small edit...
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-19 16:43:24
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

But derailing threads is fun! >.>

Up next the difference between ketchup and catsup! xD
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-19 16:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sarcasm so noted... /clap
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-19 16:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Up next the difference between ketchup and catsup! xD

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I HATE when people spell it catsup. It seriously drives me insane...

Not trying to contribute to derailing, just drives me crazy so I had to comment lol

carry on with why astral burns are ruining the game or whatever...
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-19 16:47:24
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, no reason to be so uptight, I just wanted point out the minor difference between the two since it's subjective and relating to the topic. Anyways, to keep on topic, anyone else wanna take a stab on SE's next course of action or lack there of?
 Shiva.Phioness
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-19 18:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest the whole point of it wasn't about gear its a question of morals. Your wordshifting skills show your lack of understanding and the fact that in your case: Ignorance is bliss. Read my last 2 statements and look at the big picture /throws Tbest a bone

The bone being: Taking advantage of a shortcut (one that RMT will use) one that SE will most likely change because it exploits a way to make XP with little or no work.

In a land of fat, lazy ***, people have refined cheating/shortcuts/circumventing laws/rules/and steping on each other to gain the upper hand. Its become all about getting the job done, and not caring about who we step on, or how much can I get with giving little in return. Some have a bunch of Cartmen's (I love South Park) running about with delusion that "Hey I'm not fat, I'm big boned!" People are looking quick easy hassel free solution, but some love their cake to much. F&^k sharing it, I want it free, quick, easy, loaded with crap, and get your f%^kin own.

Now think of cake as morals

Oh and I thought of it this way:

Seth works hard at his job, is very thorough, and gets promoted for to assistant manager after 2 years.

Jason does a mediocre job, makes mistakes sometimes, but takes the boss out for drinks and kisses his ***. He gets promoted in 1 year.

So which are you? The hard worker or the peter puffer? I can tell by your postings who's who so keep it up. Oh and you got something on your chin!
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-19 20:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugly Avatar Guy said:

That is all...

You promise? I think you have made your point now, so STFU please.

And change you avatar for crying out loud....
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-19 22:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

LoL it's just a land of QQ out there...

Just a thought that if SE did decide to change this and ban folks, or take action then those who are wailing/ gnashing their teeth out there get what they want... A server further cleared of liars, cheats, and lazy fat kids...

Seriously, when you guys are done taking your high horse for a ride where do you keep it boarded?
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-02-20 01:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't know why you comparing other 'unfair' action that 'can' be done with the game to make astral burning look fair.

And no, i think no one of the guys says it is allright that AFB can be done has a point.

While it is so obvious that Leveling SMN to 75 with that trick is wrong. And even more wrong is to leech on other jobs with that same trick.

You'll make SE nerf the game once more i know lol.
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 01:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelvinclein said:
I just don't know why you comparing other 'unfair' action that 'can' be done with the game to make astral burning look fair.

And no, i think no one of the guys says it is allright that AFB can be done has a point.

While it is so obvious that Leveling SMN to 75 with that trick is wrong. And even more wrong is to leech on other jobs with that same trick.

Well it's not 'wrong' to leech a few lvl~ or get a job to sub.
I think it's 'wrong' when players go 1-75 x3 in 4 days.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-02-20 02:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

W T F u talking about? lol When it's stated that ppl are leveling jobs directly to 75.. how do you think to keep ppl from doing that?

Even if you take it to lvl 60 just with that it's 60 levels you haven't played.

And btw, SMN can't be used in party because hit concept is different, it is used as Main Healer due to his low performance within an exp party expetially after toau areas. You still can solo with smn, no matter what it takes, play your job, enjoy it hell.. every job has something he's good for...
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 02:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelvinclein said:
W T F u talking about? lol When it's stated that ppl are leveling jobs directly to 75.. how do you think to keep ppl from doing that?

you obviously didn't read my post. I'm stating that I think it's wrong to lvl 75 by this.
I didn't say anything about trying to stop people from doing this to 75.
I stated if people do this to 75 i think its 'wrong.'
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-02-20 02:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, and in fact how is SE gonna keep ppl from doing that? Isn't this abusing of the trick? but wait.. isn's skipping even 4-5 levels, abusing of the trick??
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 02:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelvinclein said:
yes, and in fact how is SE gonna keep ppl from doing that? Isn't this abusing of the trick? but wait.. isn's skipping even 4-5 levels, abusing of the trick??

I'm Sure SE is gonna "nurf" this next march update. Keep your socks on.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-20 03:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugly Avatar Guy said:
LoL it's just a land of QQ out there...

Just a thought that if SE did decide to change this and ban folks, or take action then those who are wailing/ gnashing their teeth out there get what they want... A server further cleared of liars, cheats, and lazy fat kids...

Seriously, when you guys are done taking your high horse for a ride where do you keep it boarded?

Says the Queen of QQs
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-02-20 04:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong in doing this really, just gotta suck to be that smn when you hit 75 and sitll have like 40 summoning skill, as summoning magic skill is important for a smn >_> and it takes forever to skillup.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-20 04:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to Elemental Syphon, it is important, SMN magic skill that is
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-20 04:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Astral Burning sounds fun and seems like it saves douzens of hours spent lvling, hours saved are hours you can spend doing other things, so fun + time saving is probably why most people wouldn't say no to it.

Not giving my opinion of why it's good or bad you guys have covered that pretty much, can understand why some people are so against it though considering they spent weeks/months getting a job to 75 just to read people can do it in a few days lol

I wouldn't think everyone that does it is a bad person or all that lazy, a job like smn can be hard getting to 75 (like a few other jobs) if you wait on pt invites, kinda discouraging, probably makes Astral Burning a means to an end.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Aurielle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Aurielle 2009-02-20 04:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really think it is an issue of "right and wrong" here. Obviously, if SE says it's okay for now, then there's nothing morally wrong about using the level sync system to your advantage. My only real problem with it, is that it just further opens the flood gates to the raging river of high level noobs that has been flowing through the game for a while now. A new player (a level 13 MNK) I met last week had a burn party sync to him and it took him to level 22 in one shot. Big mistake. All he does now is /sh for more burn action. When we explained that his skills were still level 13, he was not concerned with that fact at all.
Level sync is great for people who know how to play the game and do their jobs, but it breaks a lot of new people in general. Have you ever had a level 56 WHM ask what to do in a party at their level--"Errrmm...keep us alive and enfeeble the mob"? I have. Have you had to explain SATA to a level 60 SAM? Yeah, had that too. Before level sync, people had to advance in all areas of the game in order to advance their jobs. They had nice long spells of xping and learned their jobs. Now I see level 60 somethings seeking all the time with no Aht Urhgan access, no Vahzl or Altep crystal, sometimes not even enough money to ride a chocobo. If they manage to get to the party, their gear looks like they got it out of the rummage pile at the Altana Saves Shelter.

Bottom line, then I swear to Christ I'll stop typing:

In all honesty, I would love to burn my SMN to 37 for endgame. I'm just thinking we should keep the noobs out of it...they are having a hard enough time already.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-20 04:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I might Astral Burn my SMN for 3 free merits every 2 hours lol
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Server: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-02-20 04:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i've been playing this game since about a month after it came out and i sadly enough only have one lvl 75. I got a lot of stuff at random levels too, but thats not really anything special. I, unlike some people that play, don't have time to play this game for more than a few hours at a time. Am i offended that anyone could get to 75 in a few days? nope. I am all for this if SE doesn't consider it wrong. SE implemented level sync, and they knew, just like all of us did, that it would be exploited. don't be jealous of someone leveling a job to 75 faster than you. if anyone is... get a flippin life. I would do this in a heartbeat if i knew more than a couple of ppl that had smn even unlocked.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-20 04:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Aurielle said:
My only real problem with it, is that it just further opens the flood gates to the raging river of high level noobs that has been flowing through the game for a while now.

I have to agree with this, the big downside to power leveling, a newer player expects to have a PL (or in this case a Astral Burn) whenever they want to level. I've known people who refused to level without a PL, till they got over it.

There are a lot of higher level people who really don't know much about playing the game properly, that's my only concern with Astral Burning and level sync. Taking your time is some times better.

For example, I won't level SAM now i'm 59 untill I have thf to 37 and all lvl 60 gear with skills to a good level like most people would do, but newer players are desperate to get to 75 and take all the short cuts they can and it only harms them in the long run.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Server: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-02-20 04:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

oh. a quick note about noobs being 75. i don't know about any of you, but long ago in a far away land, it actually took a lot more EXP to lvl to 75 than it does nowadays. around that time, only a few actual good dedicated players made it to 75. Around the time of the exp nerf, which i think was in 2006, it became much easier to lvl to 75. and there was a vast number of ppl that made it to 75 shortly thereafter. and over the course of the years, many other have made it to 75 in only a few months time of playing the game. there is little chance that many of these players know what i know. there were noobs before level sync and there will be more to come... I partied with a samurai before level sync that i actually out damaged as a 50 ninja. pretty amazing huh. he wasn't a product of level sync. perhaps people should make an attempt to educate people that suck rather than calling them noobs or whatever names you call them. if they don't want to listen to what you have to say, then... callem a noob. just don't b a leet loser...
i personally have never ran into anyone that leveled from 1-75 in only the lvl 20 areas... how many people do you know that go out and buy this game without a friend telling them to? really now...
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-02-20 04:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Summoning magic skill does several things:

1. Decreases the wait time between when a Elemental Spirit is summoned and uses a spell and the time before casting another.
2. Increases the intelligence of the AI of an Elemental Spirit. The spirit will generally cast more powerful and relevant spells more often. When its AI is good, the Light Spirit sometimes defies the spell recast timer when your HP is low.
3. Magic skill determines the chance to be interrupted while casting magic that uses that skill.
4. If you are over skill cap it affects Blood Pact: Rage and Blood Pact: Ward.
* Blood Pact: Ward with standard duration of less than 180 seconds:
o 30sec duration: +1sec/skill over cap, 150 skill over cap is needed to reach max duration of 180 seconds
o 60sec duration: +2sec/skill over cap, 60 skill over cap is needed to reach max duration of 180 seconds
o 90sec duration: +3sec/skill over cap, 30 skill over cap is needed to reach max duration of 180 seconds
o 180sec duration: no gain
* Blood Pact: Rage
o Accuracy bonus and Magic Accuracy bonus based on how far over the skill cap the player is. Source
5. Increases the MP recovered when using Elemental Siphon.

From ffxiclopedia.
Gimped summoning magic? no thanks :P
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 05:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ziggz said:
oh. a quick note about noobs being 75. i don't know about any of you, but long ago in a far away land, it actually took a lot more EXP to lvl to 75 than it does nowadays. around that time, only a few actual good dedicated players made it to 75. Around the time of the exp nerf, which i think was in 2006, it became much easier to lvl to 75. and there was a vast number of ppl that made it to 75 shortly thereafter. and over the course of the years, many other have made it to 75 in only a few months time of playing the game. there is little chance that many of these players know what i know. there were noobs before level sync and there will be more to come... I partied with a samurai before level sync that i actually out damaged as a 50 ninja. pretty amazing huh. he wasn't a product of level sync. perhaps people should make an attempt to educate people that suck rather than calling them noobs or whatever names you call them. if they don't want to listen to what you have to say, then... callem a noob. just don't b a leet loser...
i personally have never ran into anyone that leveled from 1-75 in only the lvl 20 areas... how many people do you know that go out and buy this game without a friend telling them to? really now...

hehe
 Gilgamesh.Phalon
Server: Gilgamesh
user: patience
By Gilgamesh.Phalon 2009-02-20 05:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You know this whole thing about skilling SMN magic is a farce.

My first job was SMN since its still my favorite job for sentimental reasons.

SMN rarely get to summon in most exp parties unless its to give the pt a quick stoneskin or acc n eva.

Either way it was never EVER enough to recap skill even if your skill was capped from the previous level.

Now I do know that since then SE let us receive skill up from other activities instead of just actually summoning a million times in a row and I know because it was how I was able to finally get the last 5 smn skill.

Point being here is that SMN is never going to get enough skill up in a regular party to cap skill. They will have to do it the old fashioned way. Alone.

Give the whole SMN skill up a rest here.
 Ifrit.Aurielle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Aurielle 2009-02-20 05:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ziggz said:
there were noobs before level sync and there will be more to come... perhaps people should make an attempt to educate people that suck rather than calling them noobs or whatever names you call them. if they don't want to listen to what you have to say, then... callem a noob. just don't b a leet loser...

Fair and well said. I've been playing for a long while now and I agree for the most part. I just think that level sync has definitely added to the problem.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-02-20 05:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Aurielle said:
I don't really think it is an issue of "right and wrong" here. Obviously, if SE says it's okay for now, then there's nothing morally wrong about using the level sync system to your advantage. My only real problem with it, is that it just further opens the flood gates to the raging river of high level noobs that has been flowing through the game for a while now. A new player (a level 13 MNK) I met last week had a burn party sync to him and it took him to level 22 in one shot. Big mistake. All he does now is /sh for more burn action. When we explained that his skills were still level 13, he was not concerned with that fact at all.
Level sync is great for people who know how to play the game and do their jobs, but it breaks a lot of new people in general. Have you ever had a level 56 WHM ask what to do in a party at their level--"Errrmm...keep us alive and enfeeble the mob"? I have. Have you had to explain SATA to a level 60 SAM? Yeah, had that too. Before level sync, people had to advance in all areas of the game in order to advance their jobs. They had nice long spells of xping and learned their jobs. Now I see level 60 somethings seeking all the time with no Aht Urhgan access, no Vahzl or Altep crystal, sometimes not even enough money to ride a chocobo. If they manage to get to the party, their gear looks like they got it out of the rummage pile at the Altana Saves Shelter.

This^

Altough I dont believe that just beacause SE say this or that, its morally right/wrong. Each person has their own moral values.
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 06:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Aurielle said:

This^

Altough I dont believe that just beacause SE say this or that, its morally right/wrong. Each person has their own moral values.

=o
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 26 27 28