God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » God did not create the universe, says Hawking
God did not create the universe, says Hawking
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 38 39 40
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-02 19:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Coincidental that such a sensational claim (sure to make headlines and cause internet discussion everywhere) coincides with his new book release?

Quote:
"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

Think whatever you like of him as a theorist or agnostic (his previous stance), the man does know how to generate interest in his book.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche certainly got a lot of mileage out of the "God is dead" sensationalism for his books during his lifetime. And while I am sure Hawkins will stand by his statements, the cynic in me suspects he was prodded to do so in such a public manner by his publicist.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 19:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
EtienneLoire said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
OH! So how do you explain the exist of a black hole!?

"It's just there.... slowly consuming all life"

There are 2 explanations today.

1. Universe began as a close to infinitely small and dense point. It started expanding, in an explosion because the matter density was so great. After several billions of years, matter particles will collect together forming galaxies, we'll call them universal revolvers. Everything revolves around something. The reason a (super massive) black hole stands apart from all the other ones is the universe is proven to be continually expanding. So clusters of matter will join with the largest cluster of matter it can reach.

2. Two Universal branes (sheets of negative energy) collided together causing the big bang. And 2 universes were created, one in each brane from the point of collision. This is string theory since it goes beyond the 4 dimensions we're aware of, I won't get into it too much since we're still analyzing data from the new Microwave emission satellite we just launched.

Do not pull that from wiki explaining you are smart. If you knew anything about science you could have explained it with out using google.

I have a degree in particle physics, I don't need Google or Wiki to explain myself.

Tough you need Wiki or Google to explain what god is, and still can't get very far.

lolwat

Prince.. lol

Is it time for me to bust out my unbelievable credentials picture again?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 19:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

God is just crazy talk, and the absence of proof is not the reason for my lack of belief.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

But, I do... I wasn't kidding when I said I had 2.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-02 19:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Agreed, yet many people do it with scientific theory as well.
They do not, that's the thing.

You don't get to make any sweeping statement in science based on faith, unless your statement can provably predict, and reproduce, future events.

When Einstein said "Relativity! Ta dah!" the default assumption among all scientists was that he was flat-out wrong. It was "just a theory," and a fairly crackpot one at that. Until years later, a solar eclipse showed gravitational lensing of stars precisely in accordance with his theory.

That's how science works. Religion does not work this way. It is a false parallel. It only seems like the same thing if people didn't pay attention in science class, and see science only as some pseudo-authority figure asking them to accept things on faith.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Which also gave light to the idea of negative energy.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 19:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:
Still does not state how god can not exist.

What is god then?

A maximally great being that exists outside of our universe with the ability to interact with this universe in any way it chooses.

I think that would probably be a fairly accurate description of what many people believe God to be.

This is like saying our universe is a crystal ball that a little kid called God is holding and poking us through it.

Theres no such a thing as 'outside' or 'inside' this universe. The people who think this, have it very very wrong.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For some reason, we humans seem to implicitly understand that the burden of proof of a statement is always on the positive assertion.

That is, if you make any claim, the default view is that it's false and you need to prove that it's true. You don't get to assume it's true, and defend it by saying "Well you can't prove it isn't."

It's completely ridiculous. Nothing works that way.

Yet for some reason, we're completely willing to employ this bogus reasoning on the subject of religion, and religion only.

Theism- belief in that a god exists
Atheism- lack of belief that a god exists

Gnosticism - claims to know that something exists
agnosticism - claim to not know if something exists

Gnostic theist believe in a god and claim to know that god exists

Agnostic theists believe in a god, but admit that they do no know if that god exists

Gnostic atheists do not believe in a god, and claim to know that god does not exist.

Agnostic atheists do not believe in a god, but do not know whether god really exists.

This is all any human can state. But if all theists were gonostic theists, and all atheists were gnostic atheists... the demands of "Prove there is a god!Prove there isn't!" would be valid.

Not all theists say there is 100% proof of a god, and not all atheists say there is 100% proof there is a god.

So this cycle will always continue till the end of time, all you can do is wait for death, live your life, that is it.

By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
God is just crazy talk, and the absence of proof is not the reason for my lack of belief.

I wouldn't say it's crazy talk.

It's human faith.

If anything humans have unique to ourselves is the ability to hold a thought and believe in something.

I think that ability itself is more powerful than 'god' which is just a product of our aptitude.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 19:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 the Bible has morales so god must exist
By Saiii 2010-09-02 19:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

You don't get to make any sweeping statement in science based on faith, unless your statement can provably predict, and reproduce, future events.

When Einstein said "Relativity! Ta dah!" the default assumption among all scientists was that he flat-out wrong. It was "just a theory," and a fairly crackpot one at that. Until years later, a solar eclipse showed gravitational lensing of stars precisely in accordance with his theory.

That's how science works. Religion does not work this way. It is a false parallel. It only seems like the same thing if people didn't pay attention in science class, and see science only as some pseudo-authority figure asking them to accept things on faith.

People would do better to just accept the fact that God is not and will not ever be proven through objective evidence.

"God" is a subjective experience that differs from person to person.

Considering this, it those who don't believe in "God" would do better to stop asking for objective proof when they know it does not exist.

Post deleted by User.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

If you do not have anything relevant to the thread please do not ***it up.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 19:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:

I wouldn't say it's crazy talk.

It's human faith.

If anything humans have unique to ourselves is the ability to hold a thought and believe in something.

I think that ability itself is more powerful than 'god' which is just a product of our aptitude.

I'd rather believe in the greek gods, which are closer to being a God to me, they are just as human only with a higher power or whatever. Not saying I believe in them, I believe in no God.

This God society portrays as the untouchable is stupid;
can god create a rock so heavy he can't lift it himself?

lol *** please.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-02 19:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
I wouldn't say it's crazy talk. It's human faith. If anything humans have unique to ourselves is the ability to hold a thought and believe in something. I think that ability itself is more powerful than 'god' which is just a product of our aptitude.

Or the product of cows, in the case of the milk jug.
 Leviathan.Hastefeet
Server: Leviathan
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-09-02 19:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

*** christ i thought hawking knew this
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 19:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

If you do not have anything relevant to the thread please do not ***it up.

How is it irrelevant? Belief that the bible has morales doesn't suddenly prove the existence of god.

Seeing as the majority of people who want to try and prove that a god exists, they use the ridiculous argument that the bible has moralistic value and therefore god must exist.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Considering this, it those who don't believe in "God" would do better to stop asking for objective proof when they know it does not exist.

We're not asking for proof as a method of evidence acquisition.

We know the truth, that god is a fictional being created by human faith.

We ask for "proof" to degrade those who believe in "god" simply because once a believer is presented with that question, they have absolutely nothing to offer.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

When Einstein said "Relativity! Ta dah!" the default assumption among all scientists was that he flat-out wrong. It was "just a theory," and a fairly crackpot one at that. Until years later, a solar eclipse showed gravitational lensing of stars precisely in accordance with his theory.

People would do better to just accept the fact that God is not and will not ever be proven through objective evidence.

"God" is a subjective experience that differs from person to person.

That is the problem... we do not know what is out there. We are but a spec, a tiny grain of sand in a vast expanding and forever changing universe.
By Saiii 2010-09-02 19:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

A maximally great being that exists outside of our universe with the ability to interact with this universe in any way it chooses.

I think that would probably be a fairly accurate description of what many people believe God to be.

This is like saying our universe is a crystal ball that a little kid called God is holding and poking us through it.

Theres no such a thing as 'outside' or 'inside' this universe. The people who think this, have it very very wrong.

Why is this such an absurd thought?

Why do you believe that our universe is the "highest" level of reality?
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-09-02 19:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:

We're not asking for proof as a method of evidence acquisition.

We know the truth, that god is a fictional being created by human faith.

We ask for "proof" to degrade those who believe in "god" simply because once a believer is presented with that question, they have absolutely nothing to offer.

LOL
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 19:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

I haven't said such things, please don't misunderstand.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:

Misconception.

The scientific community no longer thinks the universe is the highest level of existence.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-02 20:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

When Einstein said "Relativity! Ta dah!" the default assumption among all scientists was that he was flat-out wrong. It was "just a theory," and a fairly crackpot one at that. Until years later, a solar eclipse showed gravitational lensing of stars precisely in accordance with his theory.

My point is that there are uneducated people on both sides who make silly claims. I said that many people say that about theory because they believe theory is fact when it, indeed, is not. I am talking about average people, not scientists or priests.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 20:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Saiii said:

This is Darki we are talking about here, come on.

can you read my posts? otherwise shut the hell up.

Post deleted by User.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

God/science aside, I do not think it is the highest level of reality.

So can I ask what atheist think of reincarnation? If you do not go to heaven, hell, or a after life?

What happens to you after you die? you turn into mako energy to fuel the planet and keep it form being destroyed?

i want answers, please.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 20:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

God/science aside, I do not think it is the highest level of reality.

So can I ask what atheist think of reincarnation? If you do not go to heaven, hell, or a after life?

What happens to you after you die? you turn into mako energy to fuel the planet and keep it form being destroyed?

i want answers, please.

You must have never seen the Lion king.

But there's your answer.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 38 39 40