God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » God did not create the universe, says Hawking
God did not create the universe, says Hawking
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40
 Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-02 19:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Saiii said:
lol wat. Sorry, but the Earth's rotation around the Sun is not the cause of gravity.
Damn you're stupid :( The Earth "Rotates" or spins on its axis..... The Earth Revolves or Orbits around the sun.....
u trollin?

No.

He corrected what I said.

I said the Earth revolves around the sun..

He corrected me by saying that it rotates around the sun ; ;
He didn't correct you by saying the Earth rotates, him using the word "rotate" was just a mistake. Anyone with reading comprehension skills knows he was calling you stupid for thinking that the SUN is the cause of the law "gravity."
Edited for moar mistakes.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
Saiii said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
Thing is, scientific theory will always give us a more realistic and projected probability of outcome/truth than resorting to faith in an ancient tome ever will.

This depends on the question.

Science is very good at explaining the observable.

Science is very poor at explaining the unobservable and the irrational.

There will always be things that exist beyond our line observation or logic, however, I honestly don't see how religion can be a reasonable alternative.

Still does not state how god can not exist.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
lol wat. Sorry, but the Earth's rotation around the Sun is not the cause of gravity.
Damn you're stupid :( The Earth "Rotates" or spins on its axis..... The Earth Revolves or Orbits around the sun.....
u trollin?

No.

He corrected what I said.

I said the Earth revolves around the sun..

He corrected me by saying that it rotates around the sun ; ;
He didn't correct you by saying the sun rotates, him using the word "rotate" was just a mistake. Anyone with reading comprehension skills knows he was calling you stupid for thinking that the SUN is the cause of the law "gravity."
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
OH! So how do you explain the exist of a black hole!?

"It's just there.... slowly consuming all life"

There are 2 explanations today.

1. Universe began as a close to infinitely small and dense point. It started expanding, in an explosion because the matter density was so great. After several billions of years, matter particles will collect together forming galaxies, we'll call them universal revolvers. Everything revolves around something. The reason a (super massive) black hole stands apart from all the other ones is the universe is proven to be continually expanding. So clusters of matter will join with the largest cluster of matter it can reach.

2. Two Universal branes (sheets of negative energy) collided together causing the big bang. And 2 universes were created, one in each brane from the point of collision. This is string theory since it goes beyond the 4 dimensions we're aware of, I won't get into it too much since we're still analyzing data from the new Microwave emission satellite we just launched.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 19:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

guys,
open a science book,
read about gravity
come here
and post what you learned.

kthx.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-02 19:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
What is god then?
You didn't just do that. ):
 Unicorn.Mireillechan
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Mireillechan 2010-09-02 19:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Unicorn.Mireillechan said:
Asura.Meowzma said:
I heard Steven uses the voice of Microsoft Anna in chat rooms.
Creepy o.o;;
You. Want. To. Have. Some. Boom. Sha-ka.la-ka. Boom. Sha-ka.la-ka...... Boom. Sha-ka.la-ka.
lmao XD

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-02 19:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason, we humans seem to implicitly understand that the burden of proof of a statement is always on the positive assertion.

That is, if you make any claim, the default view is that it's false and you need to prove that it's true. You don't get to assume it's true, and defend it by saying "Well you can't prove it isn't." If I, as a source of pseudo-authority on this forum, said "Because I can't prove any of you aren't trying to hack me, you're all banned," you would be rightly upset.

It's completely ridiculous. Nothing works that way.

Yet for some reason, we're completely willing to employ this bogus reasoning on the subject of religion, and religion only.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I can sure as hell explain the universe and why it exists and even explain why there are several other universes.

But yet, a "believer" can't explain what god is.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-09-02 19:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've called myself agnostic for a long time, just because it seemed to be the most diplomatic approach. I'm not going to believe that god exists, but since no one knows for 100% absolute positive sure, I didn't want to say I do not believe. In all actuality, after having grown up in a very strict Christian household and then turned away in 'rebellion from God' and deciding to figure out what I believe on my own, I'm really at more of an 'I don't care' point in my life. I don't believe god exists. I'm not going to believe god exists later. I don't care if you do. It's not something that I think about or that concerns me. So, I think for me, personally, the better word to describe me is going to have to be non-religious.

But what I truly think is that people are allowed to believe whatever they want here. If you want to believe in the Flying Spaghetti God, you do that. Just don't expect everyone else to do the same. If you want to believe that Santa Clause married the Easter Bunny and they changed their names to Brad and Angie to hide it, you do that. But don't expect me to. That's all. Just respect that other people don't believe the same as you.
By Saiii 2010-09-02 19:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:

Your point is not valid. This section has nothing to do with the game, and thus a thread that has nothing to do with the game is put into it. What is so hard to understand? PM Scragg to remove any section of these boards if you think there should be nothing expect the game on ah.com.

It doesn't matter that this subforum has nothing to do with the game. We are talking about perception here.

The other poster said that the stereotype of Atheists is created solely by theists. I disagree.

I used this thread as an example.

Wether or not it was appropriate to make this thread here is meaningless when it comes to perception by others.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-09-02 19:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Magnumatic said:
What put gravity in to place? The Earth's natural revolvement around the sun

Saiii said:
Saiii said:
Damn you're stupid :(

The Earth "Rotates" or spins on its axis.....

The Earth Revolves or Orbits around the sun.....
u trollin?
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 19:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

1. Universe began as a close to infinitely small and dense point. It started expanding, in an explosion because the matter density was so great. After several billions of years, matter particles will collect together forming galaxies, we'll call them universal revolvers. Everything revolves around something. The reason a (super massive) black hole stands apart from all the other ones is the universe is proven to be continually expanding. So clusters of matter will join with the largest cluster of matter it can reach.

2. Two Universal branes (sheets of negative energy) collided together causing the big bang. And 2 universes were created, one in each brane from the point of collision. This is string theory since it goes beyond the 4 dimensions we're aware of, I won't get into it too much since we're still analyzing data from the new Microwave emission satellite we just launched.

Do not pull that from wiki explaining you are smart. If you knew anything about science you could have explained it with out using google.

Post deleted by User.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Funny no one demands to know how Santa can not exist. In theory anything can exist.

Santa, god, curious george are all thoughts created by humans.

They exist as "thoughts".

When we use the word exist, we imply the meaning of exist in the physical universe as energy or matter.

And no, god is not energy or matter.

Unless someone can tell me what type of energy, negative energy, matter or antimatter this "god" is.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 19:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Stanflame, stop posting from EtienneLoire, it makes you sound french and ridiculous.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-02 19:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For some reason, we humans seem to implicitly understand that the burden of proof of a statement is always on the positive assertion.

That is, if you make any claim, the default view is that it's false and you need to provide proof that it's true. You don't get to assume it's true, and defend it by saying "Well you can't prove it isn't." If I, as a source of pseudo-authority on this forum, said "Because I can't prove any of you aren't trying to hack me, you're all banned," you would be rightly upset.

Yet for some reason, we're completely willing to employ this bogus reasoning on the subject of religion, and religion only.
Agreed, yet many people do it with scientific theory as well.
 Unicorn.Mireillechan
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Mireillechan 2010-09-02 19:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Caitsith.Silvaria said:
Indeed. It's the scientific equivalent of, "God did it, I believe it, that settles it." 8(
It's madness. MADNESS!
EtienneLoire said:
What is god then?
You just opened a can of worms right there, my friend. =.=
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

Do not pull that from wiki explaining you are smart. If you knew anything about science you could have explained it with out using google.

I have a degree in particle physics, I don't need Google or Wiki to explain myself.

Tough you need Wiki or Google to explain what god is, and still can't get very far.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meowzma
Server: Asura
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-09-02 19:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Saiii said:
Cerberus.Superman said:
i have a ? for him if Gravity made self creaton what created the Gravity? his anwsers just leads to more questions. so it proves he does not know ***but just another perons looking to be in the books with his name as GOD killer lol. ding new page
Umm. Gravity isn't "made". It's a law of physics that describes reality and how different bodies in reality relate to each other.
Man discovered the laws, what put them in place? That's his question.

What put gravity in to place?

The Earth's natural revolvement around the sun >_>

Not god ...

and what does the sun revolve around huuuh?

The super massive black hole at the center of the Milky way.

By Saiii 2010-09-02 19:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

A maximally great being that exists outside of our universe with the ability to interact with this universe in any way it chooses.

I think that would probably be a fairly accurate description of what many people believe God to be.

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-09-02 19:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

That is, if you make any claim, the default view is that it's false and you need to prove that it's true. You don't get to assume it's true, and defend it by saying "Well you can't prove it isn't." If I, as a source of pseudo-authority on this forum, said "Because I can't prove any of you aren't trying to hack me, you're all banned," you would be rightly upset.

Coming from a very religious family, I have noticed this, as well. My parents are very intelligent people, and yet, when it comes down to it, they fall back on the, "Well, you can't prove god DOESN'T exist"...and I guess it works, because it always shuts me up, LOL...unfortunately, they seem impervious to the utter lack of logic of what they're saying. 8(

Edited to add: I think this probably comes from the fact that a belief in a god is so utterly ingrained into the human psyche, that it ends up as a "given", rather like the existence of the sun. It would be asinine to argue against the existence of the sun, and to some people, it's equally ridiculous to argue against the existence of a divine being.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:

What is god then?

A maximally great being that exists outside of our universe with the ability to interact with this universe in any way it chooses.

I think that would probably be a fairly accurate description of what many people believe God to be.

If that's the case, according to string theory, the 5th dimension will be labeled as "god".
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 19:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sup Bart =P
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40