League of Legends
First Page 2 3 ... 421 422 423 ... 577 578 579
 Asura.Lolserj
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Andras
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 09:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

basically i'd rather have riot make every champion 'cancer' instead of just going "well here is a champion that is a bit to strong, so lets make it worthless"

basically i want everything to be strong as hell instead of being weak as hell
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
Server: Cerberus
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2013-01-09 11:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess kat only felt slow when you roam, never can be at top/bot quick enough! Also I like the will of the ancients recipe change, I miss a useful build from kage's pick.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 11:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

"we want our supports to get Will of the Ancients so the AD casters on your team can actually get spellvamp"
 Siren.Renavi
Server: Siren
user: Renavi
By Siren.Renavi 2013-01-09 11:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I wait to play ranked until I have full rune pages for my champs or just go in and hope for the best? D:
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 11:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Renavi said: »
Should I wait to play ranked until I have full rune pages for my champs or just go in and hope for the best? D:

wait until you feel you're ready to do it, I would recommend full rune pages but they aren't 100% necessary

unless you're weird like me and have 20 rune pages
 Siren.Renavi
Server: Siren
user: Renavi
By Siren.Renavi 2013-01-09 15:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lolserj said: »
Siren.Renavi said: »

wait until you feel you're ready to do it, I would recommend full rune pages but they aren't 100% necessary

unless you're weird like me and have 20 rune pages

Oh, well, I'm 3-4 right now in ranked, just hit 30 like 3 weeks ago, two full rune pages so far but I'm trying to get more for all my junglers, and then sometimes I don't even get jungle because of pick order, etc. >.<
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 15:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

basically i'd rather have riot make every champion 'cancer' instead of just going "well here is a champion that is a bit to strong, so lets make it worthless"

basically i want everything to be strong as hell instead of being weak as hell
Its the same for every game that offers many characters and competitive play.

Past a certain number, it is very hard to balance things and every new character (or some old characters that people suddenly discover how to use) are going to have an edge over the average characters, an edge that can often not be beaten.

Since it takes a lot of time and testing and Riot doesn't seem to want to use their pro players for anything useful other than tasteless tournaments/leagues/qualifiers, they resort to overnerfing or making characters weak, so that they can always slightly buff them if they went too far.

It's a very simple thing that everyone in the gaming industry does.

They'll ignore Katarina, Nunu, Ezreal, Kha, ZED and whatever other champion is godly right now because it makes their game live. Whenever a new character taking the spot of any of the ones that are currently godly is released, or whenever there is a huge bitching from the community about X thing (and by huge, i mean h u g e), they'll do their job properly and nerf X champion.

I'm the kind to say that X or Y needs nerf, but in truth, I don't like characters to be nerfed, I just like to be objective. I don't want Katarina to be nerfed for real, they would ruin her, it's better to keep these slaps on the wrist since Riot cannot afford to balance her properly (or even better, let the power creep burry her into the ground. bruisers/assassins mid already to that).
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-01-09 15:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer subtle nerfs, but they have to be smart. You can diffuse a champ's advantage by chipping at the thing that makes them unbalanced. Pro vs. normals though is a whole different ball game, i.e. why a Katarina steam rolls in normals is probably vastly different to Katarina's edge in pro games.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 15:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarina will most of the time never be picked in pro games as she's mainly a solo Q champion. Pros build a team strategy and Katarina is "easily" shut down by most common strategies used.

The thing about pros isn't really what they think, but what they know. Most people at Riot are Diamond (the people taking important decisions at least) so they understand the mechanics very well, but they aren't enough people in number, they need a wider range of data.

Also, a good example of nerf (needed or not is another story) was Diana coming out. She made Akali disappear completely. Ever since Diana has been nerfed, there as been a flood of Akalis left and right, even more than there were Dianas in the past actually.

Power creep is probably the best nerf, as it allows to keep characters as they are, not nerfing them, just making them kind of obsolete (but in Akali's case, she was still as powerful/faceroll etc, it was a win/win, even if Diana surpassed her by a huge margin).

Darius is too balanced and his lategame suffer a lot. A team like CLG.eu (well, whatever they become now) for example would never pick Darius, but other "blitzkrieg" teams pick/ban him a lot in tournaments.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-01-09 16:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Katarina will most likely never be picked in pro games as she's mainly a solo Q champion. Pros build a team strategy and Katarina is "easily" shut down by most common strategies used.

Uhhhhhhhh, what?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 16:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time*.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-01-09 16:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time*.

No, not even close.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 16:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »
Most of the time*.

No, not even close.
As if the game hadn't changed drastically the past few weeks (and isn't still changing right now).
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 16:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarina Morgana is still a very valid team comp that you'll almost never see go away
Server: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2013-01-09 16:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarina Morgana is still a very valid team comp that you'll almost never see go away
I like the mumu/kat combo but hes always banned
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-01-09 16:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time*.

No, not even close.
As if the game hadn't changed drastically the past few weeks (and isn't still changing right now).

Because Katarina doesn't have her passive still.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 17:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time*.

No, not even close.

Because Katarina doesn't have her passive still.
1) Power creep.
2) The game has changed drastically after the last tournament played.
3) "All matches are played on Zed Patch" (latest tournament listed, Rengar was still a viable pick).

Of course Katarina stays the same cancer safe pick and people who want to resort to cancer safety will resort to her (or not), but that's not how you win tournaments reliably and the game is evolving nonetheless.
 Sylph.Zaraku
Server: Sylph
user: Zaraku
By Sylph.Zaraku 2013-01-09 17:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

WOW KATARINA SO BAD
 Sylph.Zaraku
By Sylph.Zaraku 2013-01-09 17:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 18:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

By volkom 2013-01-09 18:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

can't be hatin on katarina. she's too good

[+]
 Sylph.Zaraku
By Sylph.Zaraku 2013-01-09 19:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Kat is always picked in ranked and tournaments, I don't understand your logic :|
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-01-09 19:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a raptor with a bazooka riding a flying shark. Relax on your logic bro.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 19:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Zaraku said: »
Kat is always picked in ranked and tournaments, I don't understand your logic :|
Read my previous post, it answers your question regarding tournaments.

About ranked:
That's mainly what I'm referring to.

TL;DR: There are more options than just Katarina and Diana (RIP) nowadays, options that were not as widely accepted/popular 3 or 4 weeks ago. By this logic, and due to the game evolving, Katarina might not be the most picked mid anymore but I'm just stating the obvious here.

Spreading the Katarina visual pleasure.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 19:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like the "safe" pick thing and saying it isn't how you would win a game is a contradiction
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 20:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
but that's not how you win tournaments reliably and the game is evolving nonetheless.
It is safe because it has been played this way for a long time and hasn't been nerfed in any way (and is therefore still a powerful pick). But safety doesn't make you win as shown by Karthus vs Lee Sin not long ago, this is a perfect example of what I am explaining since the beginning.

Now, you have many other options giving similar or better results but that would involve learning them, mastering them and so on. Because of this, said similar/better options cannot hatch after some time and also won't reach their climax for a while.

If you keep playing the same thing endlessly while other people have spent the efforts and time on new, better things, you won't keep winning. But that's stating the obvious. Playing safe doesn't make you win, you need to move the risk/reward ratio in order to keep winning.

Example:

You play Katarina because she's a very solid pick, as you have been doing for a long while now. Suddenly, you fall on a pre-nerf Diana only a few weeks after her release. What happens? It's the same example as Froggen's Lee against idon'trememberwho Karthus.

That's what I'm referring to. It happened after the last tournament but people have figured out better mids than Katarina, it's as simple as that. Then, logic will tell you that in the future power creep will keep this up.

But once again, I'm merely stating the obvious.

This does not mean that Katarina is weak or whatever, she is cancer incarnate, but there are stronger cancers out there that can also be very solid picks in tournaments. That is all.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-01-09 20:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure if she was toxic she'd be nerfed into the ground already (see old Eve).
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-09 20:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't dislike Katarina, I play and enjoy her from time to time.

That being said, while I did enjoy Yun and played the ***out of him, he needed a nerf (and got one).

Let's keep it objective:

- Voracity: Scoring a kill or assist will reduce the cooldowns of Katarina's abilities by 15 seconds.
- Shunpo: Active: Katarina teleports to target unit and gains 15% damage reduction for 3 seconds.

Those are the 2 points that need to be adjusted. Outside of these 2 specific things, she's high risk high reward and she's not toxic.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2013-01-09 21:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
but that's not how you win tournaments reliably and the game is evolving nonetheless.
It is safe because it has been played this way for a long time and hasn't been nerfed in any way (and is therefore still a powerful pick). But safety doesn't make you win as shown by Karthus vs Lee Sin not long ago, this is a perfect example of what I am explaining since the beginning.

Now, you have many other options giving similar or better results but that would involve learning them, mastering them and so on. Because of this, said similar/better options cannot hatch after some time and also won't reach their climax for a while.

If you keep playing the same thing endlessly while other people have spent the efforts and time on new, better things, you won't keep winning. But that's stating the obvious. Playing safe doesn't make you win, you need to move the risk/reward ratio in order to keep winning.

Example:

You play Katarina because she's a very solid pick, as you have been doing for a long while now. Suddenly, you fall on a pre-nerf Diana only a few weeks after her release. What happens? It's the same example as Froggen's Lee against idon'trememberwho Karthus.

That's what I'm referring to. It happened after the last tournament but people have figured out better mids than Katarina, it's as simple as that. Then, logic will tell you that in the future power creep will keep this up.

But once again, I'm merely stating the obvious.

This does not mean that Katarina is weak or whatever, she is cancer incarnate, but there are stronger cancers out there that can also be very solid picks in tournaments. That is all.

so counterpicks make a champion less tournament viable?
First Page 2 3 ... 421 422 423 ... 577 578 579