The USA sucks
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 42 43 44
 Odin.Trelan
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-07-02 16:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't understand why you have to justify keeping illegals out, and why people who are capable of working and paying for things like food and medical dont understand the frustrations of the working class who end out paying for these things. Only in America...
 Unicorn.Roxanna
Server: Unicorn
user: Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-02 16:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
I still don't understand why you have to justify keeping illegals out, and why people who are capable of working and paying for things like food and medical dont understand the frustrations of the working class who end out paying for these things. Only in America...

Because we've become too politically correct for our own good.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Wait, does Darki not know Alaska is part of the USA?

yeah what about it? I was still wondering how life is over there, not in a political matter.
/facepalm.
 Unicorn.Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-02 17:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

yeah what about it? I was still wondering how life is over there, not in a political matter.
/facepalm.

You can see Russia if you look hard enough!
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Roxanna said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

/facepalm.

You can see Russia if you look hard enough!

OMFGZ WHERE
/eyeglasses
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-07-02 17:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread title of "My State's OSHA/EDD Board Sucks" = One page, with two posts, both of which say "Ah, sorry to hear that, man...I hate it when the system screws you over."

Thread title of "The USA Sucks" = Sixteen pages of rants over American foreign policy, domestic policy, economic policy, American culture, politicians, jingoistic put-downs from non-Americans, American liberals-hating-on-conservatives, American conservatives-hating-on-liberals, Americans just hating on Americans in general, and some tea/beer sipping.

Very prudent choice on the part of the OP.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-02 17:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The vast majority of people in this country, except for the Native Americans, are descendants of "illegal" immigrants. By that, I mean immigrants who did not get visas, did not wait in lines, did not learn the language first, did not past any tests, did not have employment lined up, etc. They just showed up.

Why? Because until relatively recently in US history, that's how the immigration system worked. There were no laws. Open border policy.

I'm deeply ambivalent about the current illegal immigrant situation, and disagree with both sides in multiple ways. But this romanticized historical fantasy that most Americans' ancestors went through some painful complex system and "earned" their way into the country is utter ***.

Similarly, this romanticized crap about how previous generations of immigrants "assimilated" is even worse. No, most first generation immigrants don't learn their new country's language because they're too old to do so. It's the second generations that become fluent. In that same vein, Irish, Italians, Germans... they all formed their own inner city ghettos and fought with one another nearly constantly, refusing to deal with anyone not from their racial group. For the better part of 100 years it was no better than the worst racially tense slums we have today. It's just human nature to trust those like you more than anyone else.

Look at the list of major riots through US history. Most of those were race riots. Irish versus Italian. Catholics versus Protestants. It was hardly idyllic. In fact, you could say the current crop of illegal immigrants behave themselves even better.

So while I think the illegal immigration situation is serious, and definitely against the law, the whitewashing of history to make ourselves look noble and hard-working while the current crop of immigrants aren't, is infuriatingly self-centered and hypocritical.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-02 17:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
The only country that does not suck has to be either Sweden or Kenya. For obvious reasons.

pfft, alaska baby!

or the north pole, 6 months of day and night time ftw?

I dunno, from this, seems you kinda implied Alaska was its own country.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

So while I think the illegal immigration situation is serious, and definitely against the law, the whitewashing of history to make ourselves look noble and hard-working while the current crop of immigrants aren't, is infuriatingly self-centered and hypocritical.

ahh... these words, echo on my mind like the noises of sex at night... yes yes.
 Odin.Trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-07-02 17:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Roxanna said:

I agree, how sad is that. Noone wants to come to America, yet ppl are going through hell to cross the border. America is racist, yet we embrace every culture here. We need healthcare reform, yet a hospital cannot refuse to treat you if you don't have insurance. I guess I could be alittle bias... I pay my taxes and for my own insurance. It is nice to be self sufficient (=^.^=);
 Phoenix.Tunafests
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2010-07-02 17:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

ahh... these words, echo on my mind like the noises of sex at night... yes yes.

wut.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-02 17:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Really, I think America is no more racist than most of the world. Most races in Europe/Asia hate each other.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-02 17:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I'd say Americans are less racist than most of the world. The difference is, most other countries in the world are so homogeneous that it doesn't come up as often. (With the exception of Europe, which are going through their own immigration issues these days.)
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
Unicorn.Roxanna said:

I agree, how sad is that. Noone wants to come to America, yet ppl are going through hell to cross the border. America is racist, yet we embrace every culture here. We need healthcare reform, yet a hospital cannot refuse to treat you if you don't have insurance. I guess I could be alittle bias... I pay my taxes and for my own insurance. It is nice to be self sufficient (=^.^=);

all sounds so melodic, fact when you don't have health care you get charged an eye for that treatment you recieved at the hospital, or the fact that when you need to do doctor appointment follow ups the medical bill stacks up pretty neatly.

and people who come to america crossing the border have it worse where they already are at, i don't think they mind going through racism just to get a job and help out their families, I don't think people are crossing the boarder for the lulz and struggling all that far just so ' haha look I'm american' ^^ ... heavy reasons for heavy actions.
 Unicorn.Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-02 17:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
Unicorn.Roxanna said:

I miss those days. Now, I can't get on the state insurance because I'm legal, not knocked up, older than 19, and white. That is honestly what the letter they sent me explained. I was flabbergasted. I'm having surgery on Monday that I need, but can't afford, and will have another $20k in medical debt after. I have 2 choices, apply for financial assistance (which I already have) and hope it covers it, deal with the debt collectors (already am) or declare bankruptcy and further destroy my credit.
Seems like a no-win situation.
 Odin.Trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-07-02 17:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The vast majority of people in this country, except for the Native Americans, are descendants of "illegal" immigrants. By that, I mean immigrants who did not get visas, did not wait in lines, did not learn the language first, did not past any tests, did not have employment lined up, etc. They just showed up. Why? Because until relatively recently in US history, that's how the immigration system worked. There were no laws. Open border policy. I'm deeply ambivalent about the current illegal immigrant situation, and disagree with both sides in multiple ways. But this romanticized historical fantasy that most Americans' ancestors went through some painful complex system and "earned" their way into the country is utter ***. Similarly, this romanticized crap about how previous generations of immigrants "assimilated" is even worse. No, most first generation immigrants don't learn their new country's language because they're too old to do so. It's the second generations that become fluent. In that same vein, Irish, Italians, Germans... they all formed their own inner city ghettos and fought with one another nearly constantly, refusing to deal with anyone not from their racial group. For the better part of 100 years it was no better than the worst racially tense slums we have today. It's just human nature to trust those like you more than anyone else. Look at the list of major riots through US history. Most of those were race riots. Irish versus Italian. Catholics versus Protestants. It was hardly idyllic. In fact, you could say the current crop of illegal immigrants behave themselves even better. So while I think the illegal immigration situation is serious, and definitely against the law, the whitewashing of history to make ourselves look noble and hard-working while the current crop of immigrants aren't, is infuriatingly self-centered and hypocritical.

Times are different, it is silly to try and compare the immigration laws now to that of a new country founded by immigrants. It is an issue now, not then. Any country that has an influx of immigrants from a specific border nation will take precautions... it's just common sense. I have no problem with immigrants. If you would like to live in the US please do it according to law, it is possible to become a citizen or work here if you were not born here contrary to popular belief.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ricco
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-07-02 17:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Another reason the US sucks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100702/ap_on_bi_ge/us_california_budget_minimum_wage

No pay how great our country is :P

"Doctors and lawyers who work for the state will not be paid at all until a budget is signed because minimum wage laws do not apply to those professions."
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Nope. I'd say Americans are less racist than most of the world. The difference is, most other countries in the world are so homogeneous that it doesn't come up as often. (With the exception of Europe, which are going through their own immigration issues these days.)

doesn't Japan and China hate each other to death, and on top of that they hate america and other countries to a beating pulp... simply because of what happened a couple generations ago.

America, Europe, China, Japan, all the others, doesn't matter what level of racism it has, it still doesn't mean it's right to be racist.
 Siren.Miayoko
Server: Siren
user: Miayoko
By Siren.Miayoko 2010-07-02 17:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Mainland Japan doesn't care for Okinawan's either I would know I lived there close to three years. They didn't care for the darker skin and slang that they spoke becuase Okinawa had become more "Americanized" due to the huge amounts of military that lived there.

Wherever you go in the world there will be racism. America's just seems to be more on display.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-02 17:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

doesn't Japan and China hate each other to death, and on top of that they hate america and other countries to a beating pulp... simply because of what happened a couple generations ago.

America, Europe, China, Japan, all the others, doesn't matter what level of racism it has, it still doesn't mean it's right to be racist.

No one is saying it's right to be racist, but to say America is the most racist country, is just wrong.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 17:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
Unicorn.Roxanna said:

1) As Jearik previously mentioned, you're wrong statistically
2) Without looking into actual numbers I'd probably agree that racial tension is at a much lower level than i previous generations.
3) Hospitals get *** out of that money, and when funding is down entire clinics get shut down. Once a hospital is closed then what? If you want to argue against healthcare reform there is much more stable ground to stand upon.
 Unicorn.Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-02 17:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

It may not be right, but it's human nature. We are more comfortable around those most like us. You've showed that yourself with your previous comments about how you would be treated in the US. Doesn't make you racist though.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:

Times are different, it is silly to try and compare the immigration laws now to that of a new country founded by immigrants. It is an issue now, not then. Any country that has an influx of immigrants from a specific border nation will take precautions... it's just common sense. I have no problem with immigrants. If you would like to live in the US please do it according to law, it is possible to become a citizen or work here if you were not born here contrary to popular belief.

it really isn't as easy as you make it sound :/ really isn't. not that I have a problem I already have a visa considering puerto rico belongs to america, but I mean for example: for mexicans who are crossing the border like mad monkeys it isnt easy to get a visa and live there/work and happily ever after.

and where they are at is really tough for them too, some of them would rather risk their necks crossing the border now, work in america while trying to legalize their families so they can come to america legaly or something.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-02 17:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Miayoko said:
Mainland Japan doesn't care for Okinawan's either I would know I lived there close to three years. They didn't care for the darker skin and slang that they spoke becuase Okinawa had become more "Americanized" due to the huge amounts of military that lived there.

Wherever you go in the world there will be racism. America's just seems to be more on display.

I dunno, i'd say Germany in WWII was a pretty large display of racism.
 Siren.Miayoko
Server: Siren
user: Miayoko
By Siren.Miayoko 2010-07-02 17:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Siren.Miayoko said:

Touche.
 Cerberus.Dizzmal
Server: Cerberus
user: Dizzmal
By Cerberus.Dizzmal 2010-07-02 17:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
@ Dizzmal, I think i've already discussed those points before crystal clear *re-reads* yup... I have. not feeling like repeating myself right now, I'm hungry waiting for food.
apologies I'm at work and 12 pages was wrote by the time I replied.
 Unicorn.Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-02 17:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Siren.Miayoko said:

WWII was an example of how one person can alter a country. Read up on it more, it's actually very interesting how it happened.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-02 17:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Roxanna said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

It may not be right, but it's human nature. We are more comfortable around those most like us. You've showed that yourself with your previous comments about how you would be treated in the US. Doesn't make you racist though.

I don't know, human nature seems like eating shitting sleeping and procreating, something we all do, I am not racist, never have been, so I can't consider this human nature, more like ignorance?

and I wouldn't mind living with americans at all, I meant americans would mind living with me, I couldn't walk with this latin face on america because of the way I know I will get treated, and actually have before, I've made many trips into america several times, and theres always someone somewhere being racial towards me. Something we don't get in PR. PR being a main tourist point, attracting many tourists like Hawaii, I can tell you we aren't this way with ourselves or anyone from outside our place.

so it isn't human nature :/ at all.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-07-02 17:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:
Odin.Trelan said:
Unicorn.Roxanna said:

1) As Jearik previously mentioned, you're wrong statistically
2) Without looking into actual numbers I'd probably agree that racial tension is at a much lower level than i previous generations.
3) Hospitals get *** out of that money, and when funding is down entire clinics get shut down. Once a hospital is closed then what? If you want to argue against healthcare reform there is much more stable ground to stand upon.

Yup actually just witnessed this a clinic on the westside of town just had to close down due to the city not having money in their budget. Pretty damn sad I myself have not been to the doctor in 3 years because my employer does not offer insurance.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 17:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Roxanna said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Siren.Miayoko said:

WWII was an example of how one person can alter a country. Read up on it more, it's actually very interesting how it happened.

I like how you assume they know less than you about the subject automatically >.>

Anyhow, whether one person changed the country or not, it's still a form of racism gone nutso.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 42 43 44