Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-04 19:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Skill > Gear is what I go by.
This is never accurate, though. You're leaving stuff out. Skill gear > skill ≥ gear > neither skill nor gear. If you have two equally skilled players, then the one with better gear is going to win. If you yourself do something multiple times, one with a supbar set of gear, and once with awesome gear, you will do better with the better gear. In the same sense you can be the best player ever, and be given a lv 1 weapon, gear does have to do with performance too, which is why the combo of skill gear is best, can't rly just say skill > gear
Truth, I admit defeat. Did not even think on that ><;
Bah I need to campaign and finish gettings notes for my awesome Iron Ram boots! or should I go and do floor 20 nyzuls over and over and *** up the nyzul static I am because Iron Ram is subpar!
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 19:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that you're the one who doesn't get it. Not one person in this thread is agreeing with anything you say, about 5 different people have proved you wrong on different accounts and you continue to argue. You're obviously wrong and don't want to admit it. All your posts are getting rated down for a reason, you know.

I'll agree if you can give me a valid reason why I should care about other people's opinion over my own. Especially if their opinion is nothing more than a random jab, then disappear.

I'm going to completely ignore you from now on unless you can prove to me that you actually understand my point. Remember, I don't lose anything from not responding to you. If you're going to attempt to claim the same, then we can agree that everything is good, no?

Quote:
Let's say we do dancing edge and have 100 DEX for SA (Idk what thf wears, just using this as a sample)

6 hit ws when /nin, 100 dex bonus only applies to first hit. We have 7 FSTR (adds 7 dmg to each wep).

33+7 = 40
37+7 = 44
26+7 = 33

Dancing Edge Pharp/blau

144 + 44 +44 +44 +44 + 40(offhand hit) = 360 DMG

Dancing Edge Blau/Sirroco

140 + 40 + 40 + 40 + 40 + 33(offhand hit) = 333 DMG

360/333 = 1.08108 = 8.108% increase in WS DMG.

Maybe it's just me but are you missing the whole second portion to that post?

You've shown that P.harpe/Blau produces more WS damage. Now you need to show how much more frequency Blau/Sirocco WSs over P.harpe/Blau and then compare them.

Before you do that, remember Blau has a weapon ranking of 26/9 => 2 where P.harpe has a weapon rank of 4, so go back and correct your math.

Basic fundamentals of the game, huh.

Quote:
And don't even bother saying something like "why waste time getting something subpar when you could be working for the bigger picture."

They can be done simultaneously, seeing as how all of the big pieces have some sort of delay involved during which you can't work on them.

That makes even less sense. Why bother working on two pieces of gear that performs the same function if one is obviously weaker than the other. Why not devote all your time into the better piece? If you can't, I'm sure there are other slots where you can devote your time into getting the best for. Why not work on that?

Quote:
The argument hasn't been distorted, you just fail to see your own contradictions.

You can't say not to go for the 'subpar' things, and then turn around and recommend 'decent' alternatives until you get the best.

Subpar and decent mean the same thing.

"Don't go for the in-betweens, but do."

lol

Do you want to know the downfall of Virtuosus's argument? It's his attachment to the word 'subpar'. When I used subpar earlier, I said 'subpar to the best'. You can go back and check it out yourself, it's on page 2.

So yes, if you're going to use subpar that way, subpar really does mean the same as decent. The way he's distorting my argument is that he's transforming 'subpar' from 'subpar to the best' to 'subpar to average', which completely misrepresents what I'm saying. Which is why he's an idiot and rather obsessive about winning this argument. I've already pointed out how he's quoting single words and passing it off as my argument, I've already pointed out how he's distorting what I want to say, I've already pointed out how he's trying to put words in my mouth. Because of his mutilation of the word 'subpar', he is guilty of all of it.

I, on the other hand, haven't distorted anything, to the best of my knowledge. If I have, tell me where so I can correct you or I can correct myself.

Quote:

Why are you using a coral harness in your MDT set rather than a merman's harness? Why are you using dance shoes instead of emissary boots? Why a scorpion harness instead of a scorpion harness +1 in the evasion set?

Because Mandau costs alot. Once I thought my gear was good enough, I decided to stop upgrading little things and focus on the Mandau. The Voyager Sallet does annoy me, but getting heca cap+1 right now would set back the Mandau way too much. And Merman's harness is impossible to fine.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 19:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

He has differentiated between the two, so their meanings would be different. Such as Amemet+1 being decent, and NQ being sub par. I don't agree with that but it draws a line in that contradiction crap going back and forth.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but are you missing the whole second portion to that post?

You've shown that P.harpe/Blau produces more WS damage. Now you need to show how much more frequency Blau/Sirocco WSs over P.harpe/Blau and then compare them.

Before you do that, remember Blau has a weapon ranking of 26/9 => 2 where P.harpe has a weapon rank of 4, so go back and correct your math.

Basic fundamentals of the game, huh.

It has nothing to do w/ correcting the math.

For example, let's say we have a 65/35% rate on DoT/ws dmg.

You had Pharp/Blau as an 18% increase total.

But if you apply the dot/ws ratio

(18 x .65) + (8.1 x .35) = 14.35% total increase instead of your projected 18%.

My point was that excluding WS damage, your number was a lot higher in the DMG+ portion of pharp than it should have been.

Again, *** basics. Next thing you know, you won't understand this and I'll have to hold your *** hand as I walk you through every step.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Considering neither weapon was capping fstr, there is nothing to correct. Again, if you want to create a WS set and have me compare them, I'd be more than happy to, but I'm fine w/ my basic example.

Again, the point being that I'm actually able to do this ***and you just continue w/ the DOT portion of increase and consider it as the fulltime increase.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 19:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just quoting out of context, and I'm not gonna go back and forth arguing semantics, but by that logic you can call Blau sub-par because comparatively to Mandau it's worse. You'd call an average geared player decent (or another variant), and a weaker player subpar for not being at least average.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 19:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

lol.. but he suggested "decent" options.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ihina, I'll put this in a form that even you can understand.

You have it as 18% decrease in speed and 18% increase in DoT. The second you get anything less than an 18% increase in WS damage, then the total increase in terms of DMG will be less than 18% total, while the attack speed will remain 18%, thus making Blau/Sirr superior, and not the two of them being "on par"
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-04 19:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

pharpe is in no way 18% increase in dps thats what im going to say

pharpe/blau dps (23% DW here which can be used on a later tp gain test if needed) = (37+33)*60/ 298 = 14.09

blau/sk dps = (33+26)*60/ 252 = 14.04

14.09/14.04 = 0.36% higher

Thats without factoring fstr which boosts blau/sk more. So in the end, blau/Sk has to be at least 0.3% faster to equal pharpe/blau. Since you already showed that blau/sk is 18% faster, we got the deal set.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

No, he was saying that Pharp/blau was 18% more dmg/hit and blau/sirr was 18% faster, making them practically even for DPS, not saying that Pharp/blau is 18% more dps

Edit: And yea, you were right about him not accounting for fstr. He also didn't account for Pharp/blau not being an 18% increase total because the increase for WS is going to be less than 18% in terms of average dmg/hit
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-04 19:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

He did say 18% more dot, i thought this was the same as dps? lol damage per hit (which he should have used then) certainly is not damage over time imo.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

He worded it confusingly, but that's not what he meant. He meant in pure dmg her hit its a 18% increase and yea he did say dot, but then he followed it up with while being 18% slower and he did say that they were on par with each other.

So he technically did say DoT, but that's not what he meant.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 20:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Dancing edge, really?

Explain the cuch belt.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 20:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hurray for having your whole post erased because you hit refresh.

Anyways...
Quote:
He has differentiated between the two, so their meanings would be different. Such as Amemet+1 being decent, and NQ being sub par. I don't agree with that but it draws a line in that contradiction crap going back and forth.

Do you know what a red herring is?

It really doesn't matter if he's already differentiated between the two. If he's going to claim I said something, he needs to make sure that his intended definition matches mine; not dictionary.com's.

Quote:
Anything considered the best cannot be worked on 24/7. I said that already. So you work on the smaller pieces so that you have something to use until you get to the big pieces. Both can be done simultaneously.

That's nice that you've already said that, but I've already covered it too. See:
Quote:
Why not devote all your time into the better piece? If you can't, I'm sure there are other slots where you can devote your time into getting the best for. Why not work on that?
Quote:
It has nothing to do w/ correcting the math.

For example, let's say we have a 65/35% rate on DoT/ws dmg.....

You missed the point. First of all, I've already stated that while P.harpe/blau hits 18% harder, Blau/Sirocco hits 18% faster. Thanks for covering something that's already void.

Also, going back at your original math, you added +7 to each weapon for each fStr. P.harpe has a weapon rank of four, so could you kindly go back and fix that before I continue. If you don't know how, ask me and I'll do it for you.
Quote:
That's just quoting out of context, and I'm not gonna go back and forth arguing semantics, but by that logic you can call Blau sub-par because comparatively to Mandau it's worse.

Ok. My bad. Up to this point, I made the assumption that you people knew how to reason. Obviously you don't, because you made the statement that Blau is subpar to the Mandau. NATURALLY, you're all going to take this out of context and claim I stated the blau is better than the Mandau. HOWEVER, I feel the need to remind you that THFs often sub /nin and can actually use TWO weapons.
Quote:
You'd call an average geared player decent (or another variant), and a weaker player subpar for not being at least average.

You're switching back and forth between two definitions of subpar and frankly, I don't care enough to keep up. I'm here to argue my point, I couldn't care less what yours is.
Quote:
He/she already said not to go for the subpar options. So by his words, the blau is subpar and one should just go straight for Mandau, rather than spending time working on a subpar option. All of ones gil should just go straight to Mandau!

See Above
Quote:
lol.. but he suggested "decent" options.

See thread
Quote:
You have it as 18% decrease in speed and 18% increase in DoT. The second you get anything less than an 18% increase in WS damage, then the total increase in terms of DMG will be less than 18% total, while the attack speed will remain 18%, thus making Blau/Sirr superior, and not the two of them being "on par"

Wrong. Dot remains roughly the same. The only difference is WS frequency and WS damage, which you need to figure out. You've been going at it wrong from the beginning, or do you not realize the Blau/Sirocco hits faster than the P.harpe/blau?
Quote:
But I thought you said gil wasn't an excuse? You should take your own advice and step it up on the farming, it seems.

And I'm working on it. Are you trying to claim that the best gear are easy to get?
Quote:
Decent is still "subpar to the best."

Straight for the Mandau!

If you want to be consistent with what I'm saying, it's straight to decent, than straight to the Mandau.

Blau/Sirocco then Mandau/Blau. X's knife is situational.

The P.harpe dropped on my lap, and on par with the Blau/Sirocco, and I don't have to worry about wind damage against certain mobs, so I'm going to use that until I get my Mandau.

Quote:
He also didn't account for Pharp/blau not being an 18% increase total because the increase for WS is going to be less than 18% in terms of average dmg/hit

Tell me I'm mistaken(please), but did you just claim you can pull off 18% more WSs with Blau/Sir over P.harpe/Blau?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 20:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Explain the cuch belt.

It's better than the Warwolf belt.

Done.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-04 20:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismark.Ihina said:
Hurray for having your whole post erased because you hit refresh.

Since you mentioned Firefox earlier.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 20:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I love you.

edit: Please have my babies
 Bahamut.Aiyana
Server: Bahamut
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-06-04 20:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Now this is getting interesting. I am looking forward to the full formulae written out and filled in for each weapon set.

Chuch belt vs Warwolf belt(unaugmented).
6DEX 10att
5DEX 5STR - 2.5att (I believe, for one-handers)

Difference: 1DEX 7.5att, or 5STR
From what I have gleaned of other job's and gear choices.. Att vs stat is extremely situational.
Augment the Warwolf with +5att and this isn't even a contest anymore.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 20:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You missed the point. First of all, I've already stated that while P.harpe/blau hits 18% harder, Blau/Sirocco hits 18% faster. Thanks for covering something that's already void.
You're welcome
Quote:
Also, going back at your original math, you added +7 to each weapon for each fStr. P.harpe has a weapon rank of four, so could you kindly go back and fix that before I continue. If you don't know how, ask me and I'll do it for you.
You're a *** moron. Weapon rank doesn't just give you extra DMG, it raises the cap the DMG you can gain from fstr. You're not hitting 7 caps neither pharpe nor blau, so there's no diff in the two weapons until you have more str than will cap for blau. In my case, I don't, since fstr is only 7. You're a *** moron if you think there is anything there to correct.

Quote:
Wrong. Dot remains roughly the same. The only difference is WS frequency and WS damage, which you need to figure out. You've been going at it wrong from the beginning, or do you not realize the Blau/Sirocco hits faster than the P.harpe/blau?

What am I wrong about? Please point out where I said the DOT increase would be less than 18%. I said the TOTAL increase from DMG+. Total includes both DoT and WS, not just DoT.

Blau/sirroco is 18% faster for DoT, Pharp/Blau hits 18% harder for melee damage. This means that if you gain a higher percentage of WS from Blau/Sirroco than Pharp/Blau provides DMG increase in % for ws, then Blau/Sirroco wins over all. If you want to make a TP and a WS set, I will do the math for it, but other than that, I can't compare attack speeds w/o proper sets (by the way though, it's going to be a higher increase in number of WS than you get from DMG increase, since we're not comparing mainly blau to pharp when it comes to WS DMG).

Before you talk more about weapon rank, I'll educate you on how it works, so that you can shut the *** up.

Greater Colibri have 67 AGI.
Blau Dolch, rank 2, caps at 10 fstr
Pharp, rank 4, caps at 12 fstr

I said 7 fstr in my comparison. In this case, 7 fstr is 91 STR (yes you should have more than this, but I pulled a make believe set out of my ***. If you want a better set, then make it yourself and I'll do the math on it).

You do not exceed cap on either, so both weapons get DMG+7.

Now, let's say you have 111 STR. This is rank 12 for colibri.

Since Blau caps at rank 10, you'd get 10 dmg to blau and 12 dmg to Pharp.

When you hit don't hit cap on blau though, you don't get *** extra damage from pharp and when you're not capping fstr on either, than weapon rank doesn't mean ***.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 20:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Quote:
Explain the cuch belt.

It's better than the Warwolf belt.

Done.
Don't see how(unless fstr is capped). You gain 0 dmg in your first hit (because of the 1-2 fstr) from dex bonus. Then you lose 1 fstr for hits 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Unless you're going to claim 7 attack is better than 1 DMG for 5 of the 6 hits.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
Server: Bahamut
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-06-04 20:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Greater Colibri have 67 AGI.

Did you mean VIT? Small typo perhaps, but STR-AGI check on fSTR doesn't sound right.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 20:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, was a typo, but they do have 67 agi too. Both stats are 67, which is why I mixed them up. I'm sure that's the only mistake he's gonna be able to call me on though.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 20:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You're a *** moron. Weapon rank doesn't just give you extra DMG, it raises the cap the DMG you can gain from fstr. You're not hitting 7 caps neither pharpe nor blau, so there's no diff in the two weapons until you have more str than will cap for blau. In my case, I don't, since fstr is only 7. You're a *** moron if you think there is anything there to correct.

Let's make it so the dagger combination I favor is played at its maximum/best but fall short on the dagger combination I'm not favoring.

Either you fully account for fStr or you set them all to 0. Correct it, or don't. It's really up to you. I'm not going to argue on unequal terms that you shrewd because you want to give one side an unfair advantage.
Quote:
Don't see how(unless fstr is capped). You gain 0 dmg in your first hit (because of the 1-2 fstr) from dex bonus. Then you lose 1 fstr for hits 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Unless you're going to claim 7 attack is better than 1 DMG for 5 of the 6 hits.

*sigh*

First of all, the Str will apply to all hits.

Second, it's not 7atk advantage, it's 7.5.

Third, it's not 0DMG increase, it's .3DMG increase. To all hits, not just the first.

True that it floors to 0, but the game adds everything up in decimals first, and then it floors at the end. If you do the math, it's a 30% chance of gaining another DMG.

Fourth, true that you lose 1fStr, but that does cap, whereas DEX never caps.

In short

1DEX + 7.5atk > 5str + 2.5atk

k

BTW, I think it's kinda cute how you attributed 1DEX to 0DMG but you then said 5STR = 1-2 fSTR. Your desperation is showing.

And can we not bring in birds. If you're going to center your gear on birds, then so be it. Don't have it apply to all mobs in the game.

Edit: And since we're playing with decimals, I'd like to throw in that the cuchulain's belt has an additional +.5acc to it.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 20:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm sure that's the only mistake he's gonna be able to call me on though.

Oh please, I'm not as petty as you are.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 15 16