First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 18:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
I see. So you're trying to put words into my mouth and say I think the best course of action is to wear worthless gear until you can obtain the best.

No, I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm quoting what you said yourself. All you're doing is contradicting yourself:

Bismarck.Ihina said:
That's even my point, to not put effort into getting something that's subpar and devote your time into getting the best.
Bismarck.Ihina said:
Get that Amemet mantle 1 so you can pass yourself off as decent, then farm until your brain rots until you have enough for the Cuchulain's mantle.

tl;dr: You're an idiot.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 18:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Bismarck.Ihina said:
I see. So you're trying to put words into my mouth and say I think the best course of action is to wear worthless gear until you can obtain the best.

No, I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm quoting what you said yourself. All you're doing is contradicting yourself:

Bismarck.Ihina said:
That's even my point, to not put effort into getting something that's subpar and devote your time into getting the best.
Bismarck.Ihina said:
Get that Amemet mantle 1 so you can pass yourself off as decent, then farm until your brain rots until you have enough for the Cuchulain's mantle.

tl;dr: You're an idiot.
Bismarck.Ihina said:
subpar
Bismarck.Ihina said:
decent

In case you still haven't seen it yet.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 18:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Well, you ARE using Pharpe, are you not?

Yes I am. As I said, it's a respectable damage combo on par with the Blau/Sirocco.

(37+33) / (33+26) = 1.186

Which means it's roughly 18.6% more DOT at the cost of

(210+178) / (178+150) = 1.1829

...at the cost of 18.29% delay. You get more WSs off with Blau/Sirocco because of its lower delay and whatnot, but that could be countered by the higher DMG you'd getting from using p.harpe/blau.
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-04 18:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the main issue of this debate is that your putting down gear because YOU alone think it's bad.

Gear listed before is not worthless in any way, shape, or form. What you are trying to say is, that something that can still do the job, and has no downsides really is utterly pathetic and useless. Hell if anything you could own all pieces and swap them around. Game is situational, either you adapt to your situation or your going to get burned.

Right now we are at a point where TP burning by capping haste followed by accuracy is the norm, and if your TP burning then you are doing to want whatever sTP you can get in order to make it more efficent. The fact is that your putting down good gear that achives that and offers no real loss.

Not sure what the dagger issue thing is, I could care less. My main point is about the armor.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 18:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
sub·par (sub-pär) adj.

Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production:

That car's make is of old, it's performance is subpar to that of a new make.

Quote:
de·cent (dee-suhnt) adj.

Adequate; fair; passable:

A decent wage, but not as much as my brother makes.

Oh look, they mean the same thing....Waiting for your response.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 18:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This is kind of sad. You really, really want to win this internet argument, don't you? Taking things out of context, believing what you want to believe in, distorting my stance like there's no tomorrow. You're quoting single words and trying to pass it off as my point, for god's sake.

Anyone with half a brain would know better.

I've already gone over my stance a number of times in this thread, I'm not going to continue to do so with you because you'll just continue to ignore it and believe what you want anyways. Feel free to throw out more memes and pat yourself on the back when it's all over.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 18:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think the main issue of this debate is that your putting down gear because YOU alone think it's bad.

See:
Quote:
For the record, I agree that ASA legs are better than Homam, and Cobra harness is better than various other pieces.

Also, see:
Quote:
Seem to miss my point. My point is not that ASA/Cobra harness is better than another piece. It's that you shouldn't go out of your way to obtain a piece of gear that's subpar to another available piece of gear. Rather than spend all that time campaigning or working on ASA missions, you should work on salvage/ACP missions for the better pieces.

It's all in the thread, all you have to do is read and comprehend. Although I admit, this thread is getting a tad long.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 18:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Yes I am. As I said, it's a respectable damage combo on par with the Blau/Sirocco.

(210+178) / (178+150) = 1.1829

...at the cost of 18.29% delay. You get more WSs off with Blau/Sirocco because of its lower delay and whatnot, but that could be countered by the higher DMG you'd getting from using p.harpe/blau.

Your math is only relevant if you have amnesia 100% of the time. Pharpe's %incrase during WS is going to be considerably less.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 18:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
I've already gone over my stance a number of times in this thread

So your stance is that unless you have the best gear, you shouldn't be using sub-par pieces? Then why do you use P.Harp? You're using it until you can get X's Knife right?

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure P.Harp is sub-par to X's Knife, so going by your own "stance", you're doing it wrong.

Didn't you say in the example of Back pieces, that you should farm for an Amemet Mantle +1 so you can be somewhat decent (sub-par), until you can get a Forager's/Chuchalain's? You said you shouldn't aim for sub-par gear and I'm pretty sure farming for an HQ Amemet counts as going through the trouble to obtain a sub-par piece of gear.

And the reason I'm having to use bold so god damn much is because you can't see with your own eyes that you're making a horrible argument and just contradicting yourself/being a hypocrite.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 18:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you provide numbers yourself, then?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 18:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So your stance is that unless you have the best gear, you shouldn't be using sub-par pieces?

Oh my god. I'm not going to keep doing this with you. I've completely lost track of how many times I've gone over my stance and you still don't get it.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-04 18:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Quote:
See:
Quote:
For the record, I agree that ASA legs are better than Homam, and Cobra harness is better than various other pieces.
Also, see:
Quote:
Seem to miss my point. My point is not that ASA/Cobra harness is better than another piece. It's that you shouldn't go out of your way to obtain a piece of gear that's subpar to another available piece of gear. Rather than spend all that time campaigning or working on ASA missions, you should work on salvage/ACP missions for the better pieces.
It's all in the thread, all you have to do is read and comprehend. Although I admit, this thread is getting a tad long.
Oh yeah I saw. But you still went on about how it wasn't for several posts. And honestly if you know what you are doing Add on missions / campaign is easy to get the gears. If its taking you more than a month to get add-on's done then something is wrong.

And if getting 'subpar' equipment is bad, then does that mean that me getting my Iron Ram set is bad and that I should have worked my sorry *** off to get sea, and sky access and get Koenig? Please do tell me I am wrong so I can put your words into the ground...
Bismarck.Ihina said:
This is kind of sad. You really, really want to win this internet argument, don't you?
Same can be said for you buddy.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 18:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Can you provide numbers yourself, then?
I'm not going to make a thf set, but I'll give you a general go through.
Quote:

Let's say we do dancing edge and have 100 DEX for SA (Idk what thf wears, just using this as a sample)

6 hit ws when /nin, 100 dex bonus only applies to first hit. We have 7 FSTR (adds 7 dmg to each wep).

33+7 = 40
37+7 = 44
26+7 = 33

Dancing Edge Pharp/blau

144 + 44 +44 +44 +44 + 40(offhand hit) = 360 DMG

Dancing Edge Blau/Sirroco

140 + 40 + 40 + 40 + 40 + 33(offhand hit) = 333 DMG

360/333 = 1.08108 = 8.108% increase in WS DMG.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-04 19:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You haven't used WSC (which actually weakens PHarpe comparatively here)!
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 19:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
I've gone over my stance and you still don't get it.

I'm pretty sure that you're the one who doesn't get it. Not one person in this thread is agreeing with anything you say, about 5 different people have proved you wrong on different accounts and you continue to argue. You're obviously wrong and don't want to admit it. All your posts are getting rated down for a reason, you know.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 19:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Oh yeah I saw. But you still went on about how it wasn't for several posts. And honestly if you know what you are doing Add on missions / campaign is easy to get the gears. If its taking you more than a month to get add-on's done then something is wrong.

I have all three pieces, and I've obtained all of them the second day the expansion was released. Assume more about me, and thanks.

Not to say it was fun.
Quote:
And if getting 'subpar' equipment is bad, then does that mean that me getting my Iron Ram set is bad and that I should have worked my sorry *** off to get sea, and sky access and get Koenig? Please do tell me I am wrong so I can put your words into the ground...

I'm not a PLD myself so I can't be too specific. However, first of all, god yes, get sky/sea already. Second, I think some pieces of Iron Ram is good for the mag def bonus. If you don't intend to work towards Ares body/Hydra body/V.body, then yeah, you're doing it wrong. I don't see too many people running around in Koenig anymore though.

Quote:

Can you like, tell me why? I'm not the one distorting other people arguments here. Being persistent is no such indication.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Can you like, tell me why?

Can you like, stop being dumb?
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 19:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
They can be done simultaneously, seeing as how all of the big pieces have some sort of delay involved during which you can't work on them.

Not to mention if you're doing stuff like lowmanning Limbus or fighting high end stuff, you don't want to be doing it in ***for gear. You *need* those sub-par temporary pieces to complete the tasks required to obtain those amazing end all be all pieces. You're completely right but they won't admit they're wrong so it's pointless to continue on in this manner of proving them wrong.

I'm out for the night, gonna go drink with some friends, wooh! Be on laterish to see what other dumb posts they reply with.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 19:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
The argument hasn't been distorted, you just fail to see your own contradictions.

You can't say not to go for the subpar' things, and then turn around and recommend 'decent' alternatives until you get the best.

Subpar and decent mean the same thing.

"Don't go for the in-betweens, but do."

lol

Thank you! I'm off to get wasted now and wake up on a roof on top of a Vegas hotel, Hangover style.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember earlier you said something along the lines of me mentioning obvious, basic mechanics, though when the obvious, basic mechanic of DMG% being differnt between TP and WS, it magically seems to slip your mind. Hence, me mentioning obvious, basic mechanics, because, as I said earlier, I don't think you know what the *** you're talking about.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-04 19:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Quote:
. Oh yeah I saw. But you still went on about how it wasn't for several posts. And honestly if you know what you are doing Add on missions / campaign is easy to get the gears. If its taking you more than a month to get add-on's done then something is wrong.
I have all three pieces, and I've obtained all of them the second day the expansion was released. Assume more about me, and thanks. Not to say it was fun.
Quote:
I'm not a PLD myself so I can't be too specific. However, first of all, god yes, get sky/sea already. Second, I think some pieces of Iron Ram is good for the mag def bonus. If you don't intend to work towards Ares body/Hydra body/V.body, then yeah, you're doing it wrong. I don't see too many people running around in Koenig anymore though.
Quote:
Can you like, tell me why? I'm not the one distorting other people arguments here. Being persistent is no such indication.
So then if you were smart you know that the add-on pieces have extreme use for every job and they are by no means subpar, the pants more so than anything as they beat Bravo's hands down.

Also I could care waaay less about lolseasky. My personal opinon, *** it. Skill > Gear is what I go by. Usually I don't like the 'you need this certain piece of gear to do your job right' thing. But if it's easy to obtain and it would certainly improve you overall, at least attempt to get it if nothing else. If you are good enough without it, I'd personally say screw it.

And it's mostly cause you started crap that didn't need to be started. Kinda like messing with a hornets nest, we don't like it when people give crap opinons and can't back it up.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Skill > Gear is what I go by.
This is never accurate, though. You're leaving stuff out.

Skill + gear > skill ≥ gear > neither skill nor gear.

If you have two equally skilled players, then the one with better gear is going to win. If you yourself do something multiple times, one with a supbar set of gear, and once with awesome gear, you will do better with the better gear. In the same sense you can be the best player ever, and be given a lv 1 weapon, gear does have to do with performance too, which is why the combo of skill + gear is best, can't rly just say skill > gear
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 19:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, the math was done, dance shoes+1 are better than emissary boots. There's a thread on BG about it, was over a year ago though.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 19:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
The argument hasn't been distorted, you just fail to see your own contradictions.

You can't say not to go for the 'subpar' things, and then turn around and recommend 'decent' alternatives until you get the best.

In his defence sub par and decent are not =/=. Decent being acceptable and sub par being unacceptable, less than expected etc.

As for the contradiction *** that's been going on for a page and a half:
I said:
I'd say it's more worthwhile to obtain the next best gear available instead of being gimp till you obtain the best pieces, in my opinion
He said:
I can respect that opinion. I just have a different opinion where I'd rather devote all of my time and resources into getting the best. Virtuosus seems rather persistent in arguing which opinion is better, which is kinda lolz. That's not what I'm here for.

He agreed, but rather do it his way, let it die already.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16