The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 447 448 449 450 451
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2024-04-29 23:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the worst and best luck. I have only gotten a single max rolled +2 so far, so getting a 2nd is amazing, but also literally useless since you already had one. Hope you like BLU.
By Shichishito 2024-04-30 04:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

When you win the lottery but your bank account already carries cap gil.
By Dodik 2024-04-30 10:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Like winning the lottery twice in a row on successive tickets.
By Trishula 2024-04-30 11:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Samuraiking said: »
Looks like the worst and best luck. I have only gotten a single max rolled +2 so far, so getting a 2nd is amazing, but also literally useless since you already had one. Hope you like BLU.

I do, but just wish that 2nd earring was for any of my other jobs :(
[+]
By Taint 2024-04-30 11:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The math on the odds of that happening proves God and aliens both exist.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-04-30 14:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
The math on the odds of that happening proves God and aliens both exist.

...or that SE took shortcuts in the pseudo random number generator they use for earring creation.
By Dodik 2024-04-30 14:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not called pseudo random for funsies, you know.
[+]
By Deezzer 2024-05-23 04:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the gleti explication ws pieces need to be augmented to best nyame r20.
By drakefs 2024-05-23 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

No but you must be ATK capped.
By Deezzer 2024-05-24 01:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

what actually defines attack cap. are there a set Att number or is it all guessing. i assume im capped because it doesn't go over a certain amount with Expication at colibri camp (like 65k ish) but how do you tell what the cap is?

edit: im using r15 mythic and nyame r20 set.
By Nariont 2024-05-24 02:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

In the most general sense, if you arent in a party getting full buffs and the mobs getting debuffed appropriately, you're probably not going to be atk capped

locus colibri are 1292 def on the high end, pdif cap for a plain blu, is 3.25 so without any def down you'd need 4,199 atk to cap out on them. PDL gear raises the pdif, so say jut gleti's body +9% bumps you to 3.54~ so now you need 4,573 atk to cap at your new PDL raised pdif

DEF downs play a large part in lowering the atk needed to cap, like just light shotted dia III drops the def down to 994~ meaning you now need 3230 atk to cap with 3.25 or 3518 at 3.54

Numbers may be off as its way early in the morning, but yeah just assume you never are unless you got a full buff array or its low level trash
[+]
By Deezzer 2024-05-24 03:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have mentioned my bard is full rema and have corsair and WHM in party. My trust are koru and sylvie.
By Nariont 2024-05-24 03:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah thad do a lot to bridge the gap, though still may not be enough just due to lack of def downs, not sure. But all depends. the CP/EP mobs tend to have basic def/eva values so you can get a reasonable idea of where your atk needs to be to cap out, it gets tricky once you dont have that data to fall back on
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-05-24 03:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

drakefs said: »
No but you must be ATK capped.
I know you're perfectly aware of what I'm about to say and that you exactly meant it, but I'm writing this to make sure other people reading will not misunderstand.

Technically you do not need to be "just" attack capped.
You need to be X% above attack cap.
Where X is, roughly, the amount of PDL you have.

So if you have 15% PDL, you need to have around ~15% attack ABOVE the number that represents the att cap for your current target.
If you are, say, ~5% above the cap, then it means roughly 10% of PDL will be "wasted".
By drakefs 2024-05-24 17:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Deezzer said: »
what actually defines attack cap

The mobs defense defines how much ATK you need. The issue is, the mobs defense is an unknown value for any mob that that is "Impossible to Gauge". Smarter people than me can math it out after a bit of testing but for the most part, you will need to feel it out for NMs.

Even on normal mobs, a "Low defense" check only means your ATK is at least 25% higher than their defense (really wish SE would retool this to mean you are ATK capped). In the example provided above, you can see you need closer to 4X the mobs defense in ATK to ATK cap.

And as Sechs pointed out, you need to be ATK capped while wearing the PDL gear.

i assume im capped because it doesn't go over a certain amount with Expication at colibri camp (like 65k ish)

The only way to tell, is to either lower the mobs DEF or raise your ATK, even more (add another debuff or buff) and see if you maintain the same highs. You can also try swapping in a PDL piece but the difference is not going to be significant enough to truly stand out. You would have to be tracking your previous highs (without the added PDL) over 100s of WS to see if you get a new high.

I should have mentioned my bard is full rema

If you have Aria, just use Aria. There is likely no way you will ATK cap with Aria without an Idris GEO added to the group.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-05-24 18:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Easiest way to define monster DEF is via ranged attacks, and that's how it's usually done. That said you won't find many people willing to do that especially on high end NMs that have an entry fee.

Longhorned has the stats of many endgame mobs on his Twitter but going through all of that on a site whose search function barely works on a good day is torture.
By WhissTHeGOAT 2024-05-27 09:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

is the Odin HTB sword still good for OHing? and also, how is the prime Sword for blu?
By Shichishito 2024-05-27 10:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think zantetsuken is still the best option when TP bonus misses too much to be viable but you don't need the extra ACC from augmented tanmogayi +1 to cap ACC for your main hand.

From what I read 1 hand primes are all a bit disappointing compared to the 2 handed ones although it'd seem odd if this also applies to prime sword on BLU. Primes whole selling point seems to be physical damage limit which should benefit from BLUs tool set since they got quite a bit of self attack buffs and defense down.

However, you can cap -DT without prime and the 4 refresh will most likely not compete with tizonas MP on hit effect outside of situations where you're disengaged or doing pitiful white DMG. All it has going for it is probably more DMG in high buff situations.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-05-27 12:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

"More damage" would only really be true if you're the only DD, making use of Imperator's self Darkness chains. Maybe also in extremely short fights where you can't use AM3 but that'd negatively affect Caliburnus too and on fights that short it doesn't matter to begin with. Tizona enhanced Expiacion is still the strongest sword WS pound for pound and Savage -> Expiacion is still a really strong skillchain combo.

Add in Aria and Tizona blows Prime sword away. 80-99k Expiacions with the benefit of AM3 TP generation.
[+]
By Deezzer 2024-06-03 22:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you get the Sortie A Shard Boss item from doing Blu AOE Nukes like Spectral Floe or Subduction
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-03 22:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you get the Sortie A Shard Boss item from doing Blu AOE Nukes like Spectral Floe or Subduction

Yes, but each cast only counts for 1. If you kill 3 with the same spell, counts as 1.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-03 23:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In other words, only the main target of the AoE counts as a kill for the objective, so you want to rotate dmg around and kill with single target spells if possible
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2024-06-09 17:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, there's been a new discovery.

BLU can learn spells from monstrosity.

Friend of mine is addicted to monstrosity, he likes to play as and levels monsters. He was on a Hippogriff, and it's possible to fight against other players (but you can't change gear, and you have to be level capped).

He taught a blue mage jettaura when he died against him.

New discoveries people, new discoveries.
[+]
By drakefs 2024-06-09 21:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sabishii said: »
Guys, there's been a new discovery.

BLU can learn spells from monstrosity.

Friend of mine is addicted to monstrosity, he likes to play as and levels monsters. He was on a Hippogriff, and it's possible to fight against other players (but you can't change gear, and you have to be level capped).

He taught a blue mage jettaura when he died against him.

New discoveries people, new discoveries.

An actual useful(?) discovery... only took 10 years.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-18 20:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Icebrand is the more compelling one since it doubles as a magic weapon while still being a pretty cool offhand. In terms of damage, Thibron will still win whenever you can use it if you're spamming SB/Expi but Icebrand/Flametongue look like a lot of fun to play with. Probably wouldn't choose it over something for another job like Diamond Aspis but I've thought about getting one of them just as toys in the theoretical event that I ever win a Bonanza.
[+]
By spicychai 2024-07-02 11:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still working on gear, but I'm running ayanmo+2/carmine+1/jhakri+2 mostly atm with naegling/thibron and 1200jp trait bonus.

This kind of works as both a WS and tp set until I get more diversity, but I wondered how much of a damage jump malignmance is?

Because right now, my Monk has kendatsuba+1 with kaja knuckles and I'm doing quite well in terms of survivability and damage, and I'd like to kind of shelf monk in favour of BLU for a while.

I mean, Monk's a pure DD so that's understandable, but I also felt like the gap would be closer.
By Shichishito 2024-07-02 13:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

malignance doesn't do much in terms of direct damage increase. It's good TP phase set cause it provides a lot of safety due to defense stats like -DT, eva and meva combined with a lot of ACC and STP that still enable decent TP phase. I don't think malignance is more damage/faster TP than a combination of Adhemar+1 and well augmented herculean but that's a glass canon set.

Afaik it takes more effort to get a BLU in a position to deal decent damage than it is with a MNK and I believe MNK is more safe by default due to their higher HP pool while BLU constantly needs to reapply buffs and debuffs in order to sustain his survivability and damage output, but casting costs time which again hurts DPS.

generaly if you want more WS dmg you need to look up WSDMG pieces from upgraded artifact, relic and empyrean pieces or, if it's within your reach, augmented Nyame pieces.
White DMG on BLU is imho neglectable.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-07-02 16:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
malignance doesn't do much in terms of direct damage increase. It's good TP phase set cause it provides a lot of safety due to defense stats like -DT, eva and meva combined with a lot of ACC and STP that still enable decent TP phase. I don't think malignance is more damage/faster TP than a combination of Adhemar+1 and well augmented herculean but that's a glass canon set.

Afaik it takes more effort to get a BLU in a position to deal decent damage than it is with a MNK and I believe MNK is more safe by default due to their higher HP pool while BLU constantly needs to reapply buffs and debuffs in order to sustain his survivability and damage output, but casting costs time which again hurts DPS.

generaly if you want more WS dmg you need to look up WSDMG pieces from upgraded artifact, relic and empyrean pieces or, if it's within your reach, augmented Nyame pieces.
White DMG on BLU is imho neglectable.

Malignance is blues best am3 tp set and you'll be shooting out ws every few seconds with am3 and a solid tp set ontop of being very defensive
First Page 2 3 ... 447 448 449 450 451