Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 517 518 519 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Wait, are we seriously using the "my people were once oppressed!" schtick as a means of debasing the reality that blacks are oppressed/discriminated upon?

Ah yes, the 'my Irish ancestors were treated WORSE than blacks' card. How long ago was that sir? Oh, 150 years ago. BUT IT FEELS LIKE YESTERDAY.

The reality is today if you're Irish you're safely under the amorphous 'white' umbrella.

No one said "worse". Arguing which is worse of chattel slavery vs. forced and twisted indentured servitude is basically having a "who's more miserable" contest that no one likes.

The point was, we need to fight the present-day effects. Not squabble about some form of remuneration for offenses comitted against those long-dead.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter what the greater crime is. There is no free pass for crime everytime something worse happens to somebody who falls into the same economic/racial group as you.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It doesn't matter what the greater crime is. There is no free pass for crime everytime something worse happens to somebody who falls into the same economic/racial group as you.

I'm pretty sure MLK jr said "Whoever is blackest cast the first stone" !

"The stone of truth shall break the oppressors of my brothers"
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-04-30 10:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been assured that modern-day oppression is impossible because people are being treated a lot worse in other countries.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-30 10:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

just have the balls to say you're racists. ***.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The plight of black people today has virtually nothing to do with the notion that 200+ years ago blacks were slaves.

Yes, it does. But the point is we all need to move past that, and part of that is acknowledging there are still repercussions of those events and do our best to correct them.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I've been assured that modern-day oppression is impossible because people are being treated a lot worse in other countries.

Eat your vegetables! There are kids starving in Ethiopia!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
You first.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Eat your vegetables! There are kids starving in Ethiopia!

The funny thing is if the people in Ethiopia knew how to farm they wouldn't be starving !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
is vandalism a greater crime than 200 years of systematic oppression death while in police custody?
Even while it was self-inflicted?

I think the idea that this was self inflicted is a long shot. Someone could offer me 10 million to sever my own spine and there's no way in hell I'm doing it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL.

Let me add "Does not justify riots" to my list of things that now make someone a racist.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You're so obsessed with the romanticism of racism, that you'll see it everywhere.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm definitely racist.

I don't try to be.

But I am. Not malignantly. Not consciously.

But the fact of the matter is, if a large black man approaches me at night in a hoodie and oversized jeans, I'm going to -- instinctively -- be slightly more on guard than a same-size white guy in a suit. Why? Because he's different.

Which is racist as hell, as both of them are equally as likely to kill me as to ask me for a light or the time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

is vandalism a greater crime than 200 years of systematic oppression death while in police custody?

I think the idea that this was self inflicted is a long shot. Someone could offer me 10 million to sever my own spine and there's no way in hell I'm doing it.
Nope

The second prisoner in the van with Gray stated that Gray was thrashing around in the van, with the possibility of intent to injure himself.
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You're so obsessed with the romanticism of racism, that you'll see it everywhere.

Takes me back to my plantation days...those were the days !

Sure I wasn't alive 200 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 10:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It is truly amazing what people will cite as evidence when they want to believe their narrative lol...

So let me get this straight... you're taking the word of another person the police arrested that he heard him hurting himself when he could not see or actually be sure what exactly was happening and now playing that off as the fact of the matter now?

I also liked how they didn't properly secure the man and then cited ploice officers ignoring new procedures on the basis that well they didn't read em because they figured nothing really changed anyways lol...

In any case... Baltimore better get ready to bend over and take it in the *** because they'll be paynig out millions eventually to the family of this man.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope

The second prisoner in the van with Gray stated that Gray was thrashing around in the van, with the possibility of intent to injure himself.
I am aware of the counterpoint, I just think it's a long shot.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Resorting to violence against other innocent people, because you don't like the violence, or perceived violence, oppression, what have you, just breeds more of the same.

This has been proven repeatedly numerous times throughout history. Modern history quite recently. Telling the rioters and looters that robbing and beating other innocents who happen to be "white", isn't racist.

It's also the easiest, laziest, and absolutely dumbest, if not the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing to do in these kinds of situations, because they halt, hinder, prevent, and in some cases like this one in particular, cancel out the progress that has been made and revert things back to the dark ages.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
It is truly amazing what people will cite as evidence when they want to believe their narrative lol...

So let me get this straight... you're taking the word of another person the police arrested that he heard him hurting himself when he could not see or actually be sure what exactly was happening and now playing that off as the fact of the matter now?

I also liked how they didn't properly secure the man and then cited ploice officers ignoring new procedures on the basis that well they didn't read em because they figured nothing really changed anyways lol...

In any case... Baltimore better get ready to bend over and take it in the *** because they'll be paynig out millions eventually to the family of this man.
Dude, you're just as guilty for jumping to your own conclusions. Congrats though, I guess you get points for not rioting.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter if you're really oppressed or not, only if you feel like you are.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 10:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what the fk is going on here:

1. Most people protested peacefully, as always with these events. Church groups, outside civil rights groups, career activists etc.

Reality is chaos sells. Not people singing 'we shall overcome' for the 30x time in a row. Depending on your media outlet, it also paints a narrative that nothings really going on here, just blax looking for any excuse to riot, burn and be vicious.

So I dunno why we keep strawmanning riots. No ***riots are destructive and pointless. People have rioted for less, like soccer games and child molesters being imprisoned. Sup Joe Paterno. Every race riots. Canadians riot. Think about that.
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter if you're really oppressed or not, only if you feel like you are.

As a white man I feel oppressed on a daily basis. Mostly by women !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The report by the other prisoner happened well before the death of Gray. The report itself stated that the other prisoner did not know who was in the other container with him.

But I like how you will twist anything around to fit your viewpoint though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 10:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys can argue over whether or not people should use one excuse or another to justify actions or explain them but the reality is that its happening. Saying "oh that's a *** reason" and trying to mock it as such does nothing to help a situation either... It's inflammatory and just ignores the actual problem at hand.

What we need to do is find a way to fix the problem. I see a lot of people quoting the whole "feed a man and he eats for a day but teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time" but it doesn't seem like those people realize that no one is out there doing anything like that to make it a reality and more seem to want it to just be the way it is lol...
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what the fk is going on here:

1. Most people protested peacefully, as always with these events. Church groups, outside civil rights groups, career activists etc.

Reality is chaos sells. Not people singing 'we shall overcome' for the 30x time in a row. Depending on your media outlet, it also paints a narrative that nothings really going on here, just blax looking for any excuse to riot, burn and be vicious.

So I dunno why we keep strawmanning riots. No ***riots are destructive and pointless. People have rioted for less, like soccer games and child molesters being imprisoned. Every race riots. Canadians riot. Think about that.

Suo Joe Paterno.

In defense of Canada (can't believe I'm saying this) I assume they only riot over hockey !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys can argue over whether or not people should use one excuse or another to justify actions or explain them but the reality is that its happening. Saying "oh that's a *** reason" and trying to mock it as such does nothing to help a situation either... It's inflammatory and just ignores the actual problem at hand.

What we need to do is find a way to fix the problem. I see a lot of people quoting the whole "feed a man and he eats for a day but teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time" but it doesn't seem like those people realize that no one is out there doing anything like that to make it a reality and more seem to want it to just be the way it is lol...

Economic prosperity is the answer. Obama is the problem.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So I dunno why we keep strawmanning riots. No ***riots are destructive and pointless. People have rioted for less, like soccer games and child molesters being imprisoned. Every race riots. Canadians riot. Think about that.

I already talked smack on the sports rioters!

I did see a very good interview with a group of peaceful protesters where a girl was giving ***to the news reporter saying (paraphrased) "We've been here for days peacefully and you never cared until other people started rioting; why do you care now?"

It was a very salient point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
In defense of Canada (can't believe I'm saying this) I assume they only riot over hockey !

Yeah, but the Mounties diffuse the riots quickly with their politeness.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll riot over Tim Horton's by playing hockey.
By fonewear 2015-04-30 10:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sports riots are the best. My team lost/won...let's burn this city down damn it !
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 517 518 519 ... 1375 1376 1377