Should There Be A Library Named After Obama?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Should There be a Library Named After Obama?
Should There be a Library Named After Obama?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 20:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting story, considering he is still in office:

Quote:
Illinois Democrats are backing off a plan to give $100 million toward landing President Obama’s presidential library and museum -- following accusations of voting “shenanigans” and nasty Chicago-style politics, not to mention the state’s dire financial situation.

A Democrat-led House committee approved the money last week at an out-of-town hearing in Chicago with no Republicans in attendance. They instead relied on a procedural move that allowed them to use votes from a previous meeting.
Source

If that wasn't bad enough, then take note that previous presidential libraries were funded privately.
Quote:
“It’s ironic that Democrats, who have been threatening drastic cuts in education and other state services if the ‘temporary’ income tax is allowed to expire, now want to spend $100 million in public funds on the Obama presidential library. Where is this money going to come from?” Minority Leader Jim Durkin said in a statement. “At this point in time, Democrats should be rounding up private financial support for the project – not promising public funds we can’t afford.”

An editorial in the Chicago Tribune blasted the proposal this week, calling it an exercise in “doubling down on things it can't afford.”

State money for the Obama library would be unprecedented because presidential libraries are always endowed by private fundraising efforts, says Curt Smith, a former speechwriter for President George H.W. Bush and author of “Windows on the White House: The Story of Presidential Libraries.” Besides, Mr. Smith says, Obama likely doesn’t need the help.
Source

Not only does this raise a myriad of question on what really happened, but does there really need to be a library for each president?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-26 20:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. There will be a library for Obama, and it will be in Chicago.
/thread.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-26 20:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Why on earth not? There has not been a single President whose name wasn't attached to something. I'm sure there's even a William Henry Harrison library somewhere out there.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 20:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Yes. There will be a library for Obama, and it will be in Chicago.
/thread.
So the dirty dealing to pay for it with tax payer while in office is fine?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-26 20:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no chance of it happening, it will be privately funded like the rest of them, 3 years from now. Literally nothing to see here.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 20:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
There is no chance of it happening, it will be privately funded like the rest of them, 3 years from now. Literally nothing to see here.
Certainly there is something to see here. The democrats in Chicago got caught do something bad again.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-26 20:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

And thats news? They didn't even do anything this time. I look forward to visiting the library when it opens.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 20:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Should not politicians always be held to a higher standard than the average schmoe?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-26 20:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Our last two governors are in jail, we just sent a House Rep to jail as well. Its Chicago. The Bulls saved their season last night, and the sun was out today, life is good.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-26 20:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like Republican 'no' votes were carried over from previous meetings yet Republicans are pissed their votes weren't counted even though they were going to vote no anyway and they had no way of defeating the proposal in the first place?

This is an outrage!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-26 21:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

People still use libraries I thought books were obsolete.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2014-04-26 21:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Should there be?
Sure why not. Theres a crap ton of Kennedy named things in NY and they are from Boston.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 21:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You'd figure in this day and age it would be something like the Obama museum of technology or something.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-26 22:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
fonewear said: »
You'd figure in this day and age it would be something like the Obama museum of technology or something.

For a place who's business model is literally The Honor System, I'd wager obsolescence is the least of the threats they've faced.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-26 22:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go visit the 'Obama Museum of Technology' though. I think it would bring much more visitors than a boring old library.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-26 23:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I dislike the man greatly. But if people want to use private funds to build a library in his honor, so be it. If they want to use public funds, they're idiots, but that's their problem. Life's too short to get outraged every time someone names a building after someone I don't like in a state I'll never live in.
[+]
By Voren 2014-04-27 00:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If they want to honor a black man that's done good works they should name it the Morgan Freeman Library and every time a person enters there should be a snip of a monologue from the Shawshank Redemption.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-27 07:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Get busy building a library or get busy dying.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-27 07:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of a library I'd like a stone saying I wasted 50 million dollars on this stone.

Actually if I raised 100 million I'd build a hospital. Who wants to go to a Presidential library ?

Unless there is free booze count me out.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-27 08:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

With his ego it would only be filled with a million copies of Dreams from My Father.
By fonewear 2014-04-27 08:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
With his ego it would only be filled with a million copies of Dreams from my Father.

What about an Oprah's book club section ?
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-04-27 08:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
...following accusations of voting “shenanigans”...

Wait, this is the first I heard of this. Is this referring to the 2012 Presidential Election or something else?
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-04-27 08:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell to the **** no!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-27 08:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Why on earth not? There has not been a single President whose name wasn't attached to something. I'm sure there's even a William Henry Harrison library somewhere out there.
William H. Harrison Museum, Grouseland, Vincennes, Indiana

Not really a library, but it is the only presidential building honoring him.

It's basically a house
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-27 08:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Quote:

Wait, this is the first I heard of this. Is this referring to the 2012 Presidential Election or something else?
2000 presidential elections.

Get your shenanigans organized. Only a Republican can be accused of voter fraud.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-27 08:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I believe it's a generalization of voting amongst democrats with little to no input and or voting from the republican party.

More specifically they're implying things like the recent change to presidential recess appointments. Trying to think of some other examples here. I'll have to look to see what other things the GOP is griping about.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-27 08:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:

Get your shenanigans organized. Only a Republican can be accused of voter fraud.
The democrats reasoning is that it is holding up the process. While if the GOP does it, it's bad.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-27 08:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:

The democrats reasoning is that it is holding up the process. While if the GOP does it, it's bad.
Personally, I don't see why anyone should celebrate a person who's greatest achievement is having a certain color on his skin....
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-27 08:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't say that! Unless you're cherishing it...
By fonewear 2014-04-27 08:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My greatest achievement is not knowing how to celebrate black history month.

I think I should drink heavily and feel guilty. Which is how I celebrate every month.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5