Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Octave Club and BST96
Octave Club and BST96
By Shogunazzazzin 2013-02-07 19:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone done any test to see if this keeps up with a 99BST damage output? I currently keep my bst at 96 and I dont want to lose my OC if the damage output difference isnt huge. I have Ruinator 5/5 and good ws set, so I basically ws back to back most of the time. Whats your thoughts?
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-02-07 19:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The last three levels are not going to make a tremendous difference on most of the stuff you'd want to use a BST for, I'd think.

Missing out on some 99 gear but that's about it.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2013-02-07 20:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phorcys / Skadi +1 and some other random gear which not only benefits the master, but the pet as well (eg.sabong earring first comes to mind) will be missed imo (such as the lvl99 TOM Axes).

If you like to spam WSs, by all means stick to 96 and have fun with OC.

Personally I'd rather make sure I can equip whatever lvl 99 stuff is or may become available that affect master/pet performance.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-02-07 20:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt that it would be worth it.

Kraken Club isn't as amazing as people seem to think for most jobs (ie every jobs except whm offhand and kraken-rng). WS frequency will go up, but DPS will go way down, and DPS is the primary source of damage for dual-wielders.

You would be better off with real weapons at 99. (ie Str-magians, or stuff)
By Attaxia 2013-02-08 03:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That was true at 75 and maybe a bit beyond.

Howvever, with advent of Ruinator - an extremely powerful BST WS, the ability to hit 2-8 times in the offhand shoots Beastmaster's DPS through the roof so long as you can hit the target mobs fairly often (Works on DC Dyna mobs very effectively - you don't tend to fight much higher than that on BST).

I don't think Octave is a good idea for BST for a few reasons;

- Master's level effects pet's level, and a lower level pet can harshly effect damage output as well as tanking capability
- Plentiful Exp is handed to you in almost every event, you would have to regularly de-level yourself
- Club skill at 99 is low enough on BST, it would be even lower at 96 (16 acc difference between 96 and 99)
- Inaccessable gear 97+ that works well with a Kraken club build (acc and sTP)
- If you do end up fighting higher level targets for some reason, your damage output will be very poor, regardless of your Weapon choices.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-02-08 03:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I was curious, I decided to throw around some numbers in the spreadsheets.

Using Attaxia's tp/ws set 1 (because I was lazy, and don't know/care to build a Bst tp set).

Guttler 99/Str-magain: WS 3748 / DPS 212.819
Guttler 99/DA-magain: WS 3754 / DPS 218.582
Guttler 99/OA2-4: WS 3496 / DPS 207.083
Guttler 99/Kraken*: WS 3420 / DPS 245.375

*Note: I was not able to adjust for Kraken Club skill difference, so these numbers are artificially high.

I will concede that Kraken Club might be good for BST due to the high ws damage ratio, but I agree with the points Attaxia made on the Octave club.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-02-08 03:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Attaxia said: »
- Plentiful Exp is handed to you in almost every event, you would have to regularly de-level yourself

Nitpicking here, but can't you just go to Merit Points > Mode Switch > Limit Points?
 Siren.Zekyr
user: alekandr
By Siren.Zekyr 2013-02-08 03:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »

Nitpicking here, but can't you just go to Merit Points > Mode Switch > Limit Points?

Sure can, but it will only last till you hit 30-stored. Then spend those, and rinse and repeat - However there will come a point where you'll cap available categories to add points too and be stuck thereafter.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2013-02-08 03:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't focus the whole argument over exp loss on events such as Dynamis.
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2013-02-08 04:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Zekyr said: »
Bahamut.Cantontai said: »

Sure can, but it will only last till you hit 30-stored. Then spend those, and rinse and repeat - However there will come a point where you'll cap available categories to add points too and be stuck thereafter.
If you cap just demerit a 5/5 ws by 1 then reapply straight away.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-08 04:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

capped merits doesn't go back to exp
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2013-02-08 05:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That was true at 75 and maybe a bit beyond.

Howvever, with advent of Ruinator - an extremely powerful BST WS, the ability to hit 2-8 times in the offhand shoots Beastmaster's DPS through the roof so long as you can hit the target mobs fairly often (Works on DC Dyna mobs very effectively - you don't tend to fight much higher than that on BST).

I don't think Octave is a good idea for BST for a few reasons;

- Master's level effects pet's level, and a lower level pet can harshly effect damage output as well as tanking capability
- Club skill at 99 is low enough on BST, it would be even lower at 96 (16 acc difference between 96 and 99)
- Inaccessable gear 97+ that works well with a Kraken club build (acc and sTP)
- If you do end up fighting higher level targets for some reason, your damage output will be very poor, regardless of your Weapon choices.

pretty much what this guy said, except the parts about dmg output being very poor and not being able to hit the mobs, i've had a KC for my BST/DNC since the lvl 75 days and can speak first hand that my dmg output is very high and acc has never been an issue for me.
By Xilk 2013-02-08 12:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I always wanted kraken club for offhand for aymur when I play w/ the dps spreadsheets.

Unless the target level gets too high, the numbers are pretty awesome.