Ebisu Fishing Rod = Accomplishment?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Ebisu Fishing Rod = Accomplishment?
Ebisu Fishing Rod = Accomplishment?
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Prep
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Prep
By Bahamut.Prep 2008-03-27 12:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if it is already a part of the accomplishment formula, but i think it should be at least the value of a relic.
Just in the time factor of getting the fish and very very low % of getting the item makes this a very high accomplishment.

If you guys can some how track the equipment pieces to see people that have this particular Rod it would be a reliable soruce. If not, then meh not that big a deal. Just bringing this up because my friend got a Saber Shoot last nite making him 1/2 on getting his items.

What do you think?
[+]
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2008-03-27 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd totally agree, but this was somewhat already covered, there needs to be a independent way of verifying this stuff. It's not as well tracked as relics. You could know by the quest titles, but, they covered that too that it's hard to keep track of so many.

Is there a good source for who has these?
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-03-27 15:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebisu is being considered.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celphie
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celphie 2008-04-01 11:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem I see with Ebisu is that some players have obtained their key items after very few trades (like 20 Lik's that can be caught in 1 day), which hardly can be called an "Accomplishment", while others have to turn in hundreds of them before they see the key item. With Relics, Jobs, Missions and Crafts its alot different. Everyone have to turn in same amount of Currency for same Relic. Everyone have to get same amount of exp to get a Job to 75.

So is it really an Accomplishment that should be included in calculation of rank when for some players the hardest part of the quest was to wait till next tally?

I personally dont mind it being included, but the amount of work that must be put into it is just too random. It cant be used to compare players (which ranking is all about).
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2008-04-02 11:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there's the same amount of randomness with the relics though. Many players get their currency by sponsoring runs, and the amount of 100s that you get through those runs is random. I've seen runs go for less than 100 in currency, and others for over 1000. I don't doubt that some players have ended up doing far more runs than others to get their relics.

So although there is randomness on getting those fished/traded key items, even getting to the point where you can catch those fish in the first place takes a tremendous amount of work and patience. I'd argue it's well worth a place on the accomplishments list, while probably not quite as much as a full relic, perhaps 1/2 as much as one.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [253 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-12-11 08:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebisu took me longer to accomplish than getting the last 4 of my jobs to 75. In the same respect, fishing took me 3 years to get to 75 while cooking to 100 took me about 6 weeks but they are worth the same 'points' here.

I've seen a single person get 3 relics in the amount of time it took me to get fishing high enough to start the ebisu quest and two others complete a relic in the time it took me to get the two ebisu items after I got the quest. I have also seen people do nothing other than attend dynamis and complete a relic. Who says those players have accomplished more than someone else who has just attended dynamis and got a 'free' relic from their LS? I know there is no way to seperate who got a free relic from their LS and who paid for their own but the same goes with saying who only had to catch 5 fish for ebisu and who had to catch thousands.

I personally consider Maats cap a joke of an accomplishment nowadays but it is an accomplishment non the less no matter what I think about it. Level 66 on 15 jobs is not all that daunting of a task now; I've seen people finish it in a few months since level sync came out. Having only 2 75 jobs a few months ago to having the other 13 jobs 66+ in 3 months from spending every day at the qufim island pond camp with a PL account, level syncing to any lvl 19-22 that comes by. On the other hand, those who completed maats cap two years ago, most of which did not have a second or third account to PL themselves with, had to spend months per job to get 66+. There is no way to seperate those people as well.
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-12-11 09:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bekisa said:
I personally consider Maats cap a joke of an accomplishment nowadays but it is an accomplishment non the less no matter what I think about it. Level 66 on 15 jobs is not all that daunting of a task now; I've seen people finish it in a few months since level sync came out. Having only 2 75 jobs a few months ago to having the other 13 jobs 66+ in 3 months from spending every day at the qufim island pond camp with a PL account, level syncing to any lvl 19-22 that comes by. On the other hand, those who completed maats cap two years ago, most of which did not have a second or third account to PL themselves with, had to spend months per job to get 66+. There is no way to seperate those people as well.

I would have disagreed with that until today (for one you're right about the qufim thing) I saw a joke of a player wearing it. from 3 75 jobs to Maat's Cap in a few months. It is a joke now :/ and to think I wanted one .. I don't now :/

As far as everything else you said I agree also, some people do have relic's almost handed to them (not in saying they did nothing but I have seen alot of players pay way more due's than some others as far as getting them) so it's equal exchange I believe the fishing rod deserves the points ^^ there is my two gil worth :D
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2008-12-11 09:33:07
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not against adding Ebisu to the relic list, but the question is if we add Ebisu, what else do we then have to add? There are a ton of other hard to get items out there:

Ninurta's Sash
Black Belt
Novio Earring
Dorje (Whenever we learn how to get it)

If we add Ebisu, I think we outta add some or all of the above items. They are as equally hard, or even harder then Ebisu.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2008-12-11 09:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding Rare items that can be traded to the accomplishments list would be extremely foolish whereas Rare/Ex like Ebisu understandable.
 Lakshmi.Badkarma
Server: Lakshmi
user: BK
By Lakshmi.Badkarma 2008-12-11 11:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebisu should definetly be on there IMO, it is one of the harder items to obtain in this game
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-11 11:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Luignata said:
I'm not against adding Ebisu to the relic list, but the question is if we add Ebisu, what else do we then have to add? There are a ton of other hard to get items out there:

Ninurta's Sash
Black Belt
Novio Earring

If we add Ebisu, I think we outta add some or all of the above items. They are as equally hard, or even harder then Ebisu.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it takes to get an Ebisu. Getting Fishing 100 is one hell of an accomplishment by itself. Only 27 people registered on FFXIAH currently have an Ebisu equipped. 255+ have Black Belts. 255+ have Novios. 14 registered members have Ninurta's sash. Starting to understand yet?
 Fairy.Conchita
Server: Fairy
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2008-12-11 11:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and those Ninurta sashes were prob all gotten without any Footprint glitch or DRK zerg which was fix'ed 3 days after. I honestly don't know what it takes to get Ebisu, but Ninurta's sash is nothing to blow off that easily as something "not as hard" to obtain >.>
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2008-12-11 12:05:47
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Spoken like someone who has no idea what it takes to get an Ebisu.

I know what it takes to get an Ebisu, thanks very much. Before you go and judge others knowledge of the game, why don’t you go ahead and learn a little bit about the person first, k?

Two fish you need, Lik and Gugrusaurus. Those two fish can only be fished up by obtaining the EX bait caught from two other fish, that you need to gut and hope to get the bait. Then turn around and try to gut the Lik and Gug and hope to get your RARE/EX Saber and Opal.

I know fully well how hard it is to get Ebisu, and the millions of gil it takes in wasted fish profit with no result to show from it. And the same time, some people turn in a simple ten fish and get their RARE/EX item. Now tell me, which is harder to get, Ebisu when you turn in 10 fish to get 1/2 RARE/EX’s, or Ninurta's Sash? Sure you’d have to be extremely lucky to turn in a measly 10 fish and get your RARE/EX, but bottom line, it wasn’t very hard was it?

I stand by my statement, if Ebisu gets added I would like to see atleast the Sash added, or even the Novio. Black Belt was just thrown out there, it’s not as hard to get as compared to the others.

Edit: And FYI, I use http://www.titanictus.com/ for my Ebisu testimonials. I have researched Ebisu a lot, and have come to the conclusion that it's too hard for me. I'm not that lucky/patient.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-11 12:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Luignata said:

Ninurta's Sash
Black Belt
Novio Earring

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it takes to get an Ebisu. Getting Fishing 100 is one hell of an accomplishment by itself. Only 27 people registered on FFXIAH currently have an Ebisu equipped. 255+ have Black Belts. 255+ have Novios. 14 registered members have Ninurta's sash. Starting to understand yet?

I have to agree here. Ebisu is harder to get, I wouldn't go so far as to say as hard as a relic though. BB although hard for someone w/o a HMNLS (like myself) is hard to get but really it's a joke for those in one so not even close. Novio can be bought so no way. Ninurta's sash at one time I would have agreed but now that AV has been made possible to kill no. The Ebisu population will hardly move in numbers over time, yet with AV actually dying now more and more will be around over time.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-11 12:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Conchita said:
Oh and those Ninurta sashes were prob all gotten without any Footprint glitch or DRK zerg which was fix'ed 3 days after. I honestly don't know what it takes to get Ebisu, but Ninurta's sash is nothing to blow off that easily as something "not as hard" to obtain >.>

During the time AV was farmable those with the resources to deserve a Ninurta's sash got their sashes relatively easily. There were LSes killing AV multiple times a week.

Really not getting how you can put Novio anywhere near an Ebisu. Any serious sea LS should have no problem getting them.
 Bahamut.Prep
Server: Bahamut
user: Prep
By Bahamut.Prep 2008-12-11 14:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lol while i am glad this was necro bumped from 9 months ago b/c it is something i think should be a part of the achievement, the mods have probably already passed this up.

The reason I thought it would be a viable achievement is because it is rare/ex and it is extremely long time to get. as for all of those other items.

Black belts are part of a regular HNM drop list

Novio (seriously?) Not only are these part of a HNM drop list but these are sold pretty regularly.

Dorje Same as the Novio, but not yet at common because its new

Now the Sash: While yes this is the end all be all piece of equipment for pretty much everyone that can wear it, It also can be sold traded and or stolen (yes sashes have been stolen). This leaves to the effect that someone could equip it leave it on for a day just to get the achievement points associated with it and then traded to someone else. Not only this, there is the fact that this is not something you could get by yourself and therefore the achievement be completely yours and yours alone.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-12-11 15:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as achievements or ownership recognition is concerned for this site, anything that is NOT rare/ex needs to just be ruled out. (i.e. Sash, Novio) Black Belts are a bit abundant, even considering it's only for one job. Mythics are going to be the next items added to the list and probably will just be worth as much as rotz relics.

Ebisu might be added soon, but I don't think it'll be worth (in achievement points) as much as a relic. I realize there are probably less Ebisu than Aegis and many others. You can try to convince me on how much it's worth or not, but I won't promise anything. :p I'm also considering letting Ebisu just fall into a special checklist of rare/ex gear like AF/AF2.

Personally, I hope a storage solution will be figured out beyond special designated key item storage (AF/AF2/Eventstuff). I'm finding myself tossing Rare/Ex items that I don't really want to because I spent some time acquiring them (i.e. Loxley Bow, Arondight) It's been traditional for FF games to allow you to hold every item in the game, I just wish it were possible for this one. =(
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-11 17:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Scragg said:
It's been traditional for FF games to allow you to hold every item in the game, I just wish it were possible for this one. =(

So true, where is the love SE!
 Garuda.Jackyl
Server: Garuda
user: Jackyl
By Garuda.Jackyl 2008-12-11 17:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Scragg said:
Mythics are going to be the next items added to the list and probably will just be worth as much as rotz relics.

The requirements/quest line for a mythic is pretty steep even when compared to a relic. You don't think they should be higher in terms of points?
 Odin.Tsana
Server: Odin
user: Tsana
By Odin.Tsana 2008-12-11 20:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it'd be wise to also take the following things into account
To simply flag the quest you need Serpent Rumours, which cost 95k gp (adept only) so 78+ fishing is a must
Also to fish the fish Lu Shang's is a must, and even then the fish break them like crackers, also chances are you won't be able to pull them up without Mooching, which is 115k GP (Veteran only) so that's 88+ or an Albatross ring (Pirate's chart,which is a pain)

So it's not just the rod, and the skills but also the key items.
 Ragnarok.Albender
Server: Ragnarok
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2008-12-12 02:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebisu should get recognized under a special category than can include other stuff if possible to "extract/monitorize" the data.

cheers
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-12-12 07:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah personally I wouldn't say it should be worth more points than a relic but then again, it took me longer to obtain (and more work) than most people I know who got relics (see people who had it given to them). With dynamis at 500k entry and a good LS is able to farm 400+ currency a run in every city zone not counting 100's dropping. Between that and the now wootz market from Bastok, people are start to finish relics in under a year. The hardest part is getting the attestation to drop if you have a picky Hydra NM to face off against. Damn Gobleflop or however it's spelt and his 1/21 drop rate we had for an aegis test ...

You should leave it up to the mods to decide what will and won't be worth 'points'. It is their site after all and anything added means more work for them. Someone could say their shiny new SCH relic body+1 should be worth points while someone else may say a Ridill is worth points. We could do this forever with all the hard to get items in this game and everyone has a different opinion of what is 'hard to get'.

The quest lines for a mythic are all that bad. People are already close to have enough alex for them and I'm sure some already have enough. Check the eGaming auction sight, people are paying insane amounts of money / gil for server transfering large numbers of alex. Even a few people high on the achievement list here are paying cash for alex from any server. The assaults and NM needed are pretty much cake for anyone with a decent group of friend and/or LS. I'd say if there isn't one completed already there will be one here shortly. A few people on our server had 15-20k alex already. Our LS has 8-10k and we haven't bought any, its just from our normal runs.

And yeah ... give me some storage slots for single EX items! I got so many items I don't want to toss just incase but have begun doing it. Tossed my Tasi hat just the other day ._.
 Phoenix.Darwinion
user: DBrown67
By Phoenix.Darwinion 2009-01-01 03:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebisu should definitely be added. It's the hardest quest in the entire game outside Mythics. You only have to check that the character has the rod as it's rare/ex. No need to check any Title.

Trouble is it's fishing. Most people in endgame HNM linkshells don't give a damn about fishing. To them it's seriously LOL. So the people at the top end of a server leaderboard wouldn't give a rats *** if it was implemented or not.

But of course you can buy Gil forever and a day and just buy the currencies for a relic weapon and BAM... you just got yourself 12K accomplishment points.
 Phoenix.Darwinion
user: DBrown67
By Phoenix.Darwinion 2009-01-01 03:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Luignata said:

I know what it takes to get an Ebisu, thanks very much. Before you go and judge others knowledge of the game, why don’t you go ahead and learn a little bit about the person first, k?

Reading your post it doesn't look at all like you fully know what it take to get an Ebisu.

First of all you need to level Fishing to at least level 78 just to unlock the quest. And it cost 95K guild points to do so. You can't even hook the fish without the quest activated. The game won't let you.

To catch Gugs you will need 100% an Albatross ring. This is gained from the level 20 NM fight on Valkurm Dunes beach. You can only pop this fight with a Pirate's Chart gained from gutting Bhefel Marlins in Selbina (~5% drop rate). I reiterate..... you need this ring 100% or you will never catch Gugs.
And to fish for Gugs on the ferry for any length of time you will need 2x these rings so you can alternate them. The effect/delay of the ring lasts 20 minutes but the ferry ride is only for 15 minutes. The effect wears off when you "zone" off the ferry but the delay on the ring will still have 5 minutes to cool down. So yeah get two of these rings before fishing Gugs. I needed 4x of these rings in the end.

You don't need the Penguin ring really. That's optional but nice to have. And you don't need rare/ex baits either. Just use regular meatballs for Gugs and Minnows for Liks. You don't need Mooching either as that only works with rare/ex baits.

Ready to start fishing Liks/Gugs? Nope... better get that Woodworking up to level 73 minimum to fix your Lu Shang rod (you have got one haven't you?) which is gonna snap on you time and time and time again. I fixed it pretty reliably at 73 skill even though it's an 80 cap synth. Below 73 I really struggled though.

I went 175 on the Liks and 254 on the Gugs for the "drops" (accepted to be ~0.5% drop rate each, so my catches seem very slightly above average). In the last couple of months with Gugs I refused to even fish unless it was full moon. I could catch around 18/20 Gugs a session on a full moon. At more crappy moon phases it could be around the 6/7 mark.

In all I reckon it took me just short of 2 years to get this rod. That was from scratch at level 1 Fishing. I did it because it was the hardest quest in the game to complete (at the time before Mythics). Much like a mountain... I climbed it because it was there.

How many Accomplishments should it be worth? Well a Mythic is worth 15K and a Relic is 12K. I'd say it takes just as long to get Ebisu as it takes to get a relic. Then again you can solo your way to Ebisu which you can't with Mythic/Relics. I think 10K is a fair number of points for this item. Just because it's not elite pwnerz endgame related is irrellevant in terms of FFXI.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [114 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-04-25 04:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump... Is Ebisu going to be considered as relic? Is this STILL being figured out? Considering Maat cap is relic worthy I think Ebisu is more than deserving. Ebisu Fisherman should be recognized for their impressive effort and hard work. People can obtain a Maat Cap rather easily anymore with the new additions to the game. Ebisu is just as hard if not harder than ever due to all the fishing adjustments.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-25 06:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No mentions how often you break your rod trying to get fish... and i think one person went 1k on each fish both of which sell for 20k each on my server. 20k*2k= 40mil... yeah thats only about 1/3 the cost of a relic however supplies are much more limited. I'm at 100 fishing advance support and both rings and still often break a rod for every 2-3 fish i catch. Currently 333 on gugrus... and my rings are almost used up /sigh
 Gilgamesh.Udasai
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Udasai
By Gilgamesh.Udasai 2009-04-25 09:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This quest is incredibly gay. I'm 1/130 on saber shoot and currently 0/169 on Lik, I'm really hoping I don't need like 500 or 1000 Lik to get the opal silk. and hell on my server Gug's were 30-35k and lik are 25-30k.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-04-25 10:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all should just not argue about it and let Scragg and Jaerik make their own decision. I don't know why people argue over an add-on feature on a website. Can't you learn to just take what's given to you and be happy sometimes?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-25 10:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
I think we all should just not argue about it and let Scragg and Jaerik make their own decision. I don't know why people argue over an add-on feature on a website. Can't you learn to just take what's given to you and be happy sometimes?

We're part of this website. They make the final call, but as near as I can tell we're allowed to share our opinions and I'd like to think they at least consider our opinions in matters. That's your opinion, and this is mine: I also think that 10k is a reasonable amount of points for an Ebisu. Maybe even 12k like a relic.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-25 10:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Really though i dont like the way all the crafts are the same. I cost me less time and money to lvl fishing cooking leather and alchemy to 60 or 100 for fishing then it took me to get from 80-94 on goldsmithing but really it doesnt matter
First Page 2