Let's Start A Riot?!?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Let's start a riot?!?!
Let's start a riot?!?!
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 117 118 119

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Commodus
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: abknight
By Valefor.Commodus 2020-06-02 10:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Prong said: »
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Right, we can't peek into his brain and know for sure. FWIW, I don't think he intended to kill the man. I think the cop had some unconscious cognitive bias that allowed him to hold the guy down with his knee (which is obviously wrong) and also held the victim in low regards, enough to keep him pinned down by the neck for 9 whole minutes. It would be these two things that manifested as a result of racial bias-- the end result was an accident on his part.

But this is why we CAN turn to statistics and see that black people are disproportionately fatally killed by cops. Whether or not Chauvin had racial bias is, in some sense, not the main issue here, because we know by looking at aggregate data that yes, the police institution AS A WHOLE certainly treats black men differently.

The repeated pattern of cops killing black people and then getting off scot-free is what's on trial here, and this recent murder is the final catalyst that set off this explosion. I hope this helps.

There we go! Civil discourse, I knew you had it in you!

I don't necessarily disagree with much of what you said though depending on how you interpret the data, some can make a good argument that more whites are proportionately killed by cops than blacks, but there are a s##t-ton more of us so that just kind of works out that way.

Bottom line, this cop did it, it's 9 mins of film proving it, he's not getting off. If he does, I'll drag my fat @$$ out of my chair, bad knees and back with me and join the protests myself.

I'm sorry for being abrasive, I think I've been talking about this too much lately

As far as the numbers go, more white people are killed by cops because there are ~4x more whites than blacks in this country. This is not an interesting statistic though, despite what Commodus would have you believe, because we haven't normalized these populations yet.

In terms of population proportions, blacks are 3x more represented in the group of police fatalities. Normally you would expect black deaths to be 1/4x the amount of white deaths, but instead we see 3.0x! Which indicates abnormal behavior en masse.

This is a piece of evidence that supports the notion of racial prejudice in the police system at a national level.

This is caused by blacks committing more violent crime than whites, which they do at a rate of 3-5x, depending on the crime (murder, rape, armed robbery, etc.). More violent crime, more interaction with police, more chances to be shot by police. You cannot prove "racism" in any of these encounters, but the violent crimes committed by the convicted are proved beyond a reasonable doubt in court.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-02 10:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
The radical left turns everything into a race / gender issue because that fits perfectly with their Social Justice beliefs.

While in reality this is a police accountability issue.

Both sides have points here.

Police accountability is the core issue. Qualified immunity getting expanded far beyond original intents, the increased militarization of police, astronomical budgets with no oversight, failure to properly screen/train applicants/recruits, these are all issues that have to be addressed.

None of those are mutually exclusive with the fact that the poor are disproportionally targeted by police. Non-whites are met with substantially more force than whites - Dylann Roof says hi - so people who are in both circles of that particular Venn diagram, namely poor non-whites, get it twice as hard.

Class IS the much bigger target on the back, but it takes an astonishing amount of bad faith to suggest we don't have deep problems with race in America. Can you say with a straight face that a poor black man isn't going to be treated worse by any random police officer than a poor white woman?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 10:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
Cops kill white people too but if you ignore the racial aspect then you are failing to address why we are in the streets. We have to address both general criminal justice reform and specific racial gap in policing and sentencing if we are serious about ending the awful culture around American law enforcement.
I'm not automatically jumping on the bandwagon on calling anyone a racist. I learned my lesson during the Covington issue last year. I will only call people a racist if I personally see them committing racist actions, which, frankly, in this case, I'm not going to research that officer's online history to determine if he is one or not.

I do, however, believe that he should have been fired a long time ago, not only based on the actions he did towards George Floyd, but also on the 17 previous incidences, one of which was a lawsuit against him and other officer based on harassment, that should have at the very least put him on an administrative role and taken him off the streets permanently.

I do believe that the issues surrounding his ability to continue to be on the streets should be addressed, or at least acknowledged, but so far, nobody wants to talk about it.

This isn't an issue on the ability for police officers to do their job, this is an issue on the ability to remove bad cops from these situations. Unions shouldn't protect bad officers, because when they do, they place all officers as bad.
By Jetackuu 2020-06-02 10:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to need a chart to keep track of all the socks.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-06-02 10:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Commodus said: »
This is caused by blacks committing more violent crime than whites, which they do at a rate of 3-5x

I thought maybe you just didn't understand statistics, but looking over your posts in this thread, you're just arguing in insanely bad faith. You've been topic banned.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-02 10:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
This shouldn't be a racial issue. Yes, it's being portrayed as one, but in all honesty, it's not. This is a bad officer who was shielded from discipline for far too long, and this needs to change. That would do more for the nation than any heated discussion on race relations would.

The radical left turns everything into a race / gender issue because that fits perfectly with their Social Justice beliefs.

Which is why I suggested a completely independent national IA agency that investigates police departments, FBI, and by extension, the MP. Something that is tied to the DOJ, but only investigates matters involving city police departments, county sheriff departments, FBI, and military police.

Off-topic Edit: I'm no longer responding to Directx, because of the obvious ploy to get this thread locked/deleted by his constant attacks. I suggest other people, Kireek and others, to do the same.

Once I figured out who it was I just added the new account to my filter list. It's not worth it to deal with a bad faith actor.

I had the same belief regarding a federal agency who audit's police misdeads. I wouldn't put them with the DoJ, too much cross contamination and undue political influence. Instead put them under the IRS, Treasury or even DHS. Police have spent too long covering for bad actors in their attempts to "protect the image of police officers everywhere".

Then the "War on Drugs" just transformed the police to a poorly trained paramilitary force.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-02 10:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead put them under the IRS, Treasury

IRS is definitely the right answer here. I can't even imagine the bellowing from police unions if this went into place, despite the fact that restoring public trust is in their best interest.

They always talk about "a few bad apples" while ignoring that the rest of the saying is "spoils the bunch".
[+]
Administrator
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-02 10:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

kreek said: »
Now certain people will cry that rooks is a biased leftist again because he doesn't allow racists to use statistics out of context.

Facts don't care about feelings.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-02 10:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Unexpected Ben Shapiro

Edit: damn it even the avatar bares a resemblance.
Administrator
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-02 10:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Unexpected Ben Shapiro

***, please. I am way taller
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 10:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't put them with the DoJ, too much cross contamination and undue political influence. Instead put them under the IRS, Treasury or even DHS.
That's a very fair point.

I wouldn't put them in the Treasury, same issue with cross contamination.

Idiot Boy said: »
Instead put them under the IRS, Treasury

IRS is definitely the right answer here. I can't even imagine the bellowing from police unions if this went into place, despite the fact that restoring public trust is in their best interest.

They always talk about "a few bad apples" while ignoring that the rest of the saying is "spoils the bunch".
As a person who used to frequently deal with the IRS, especially those in Ogden, I would say that maybe not the IRS.

A subsection of the GAO maybe? Since it's principles are the same: accountability. Or maybe just take it out of the Executive Branch and place it directly in the Legislative Branch? Might give too much power to the Legislative Branch in that case, maybe?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 10:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Unexpected Ben Shapiro

***, please. I am way taller
I figured you to be a Guy Benson sort of person myself.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-02 10:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Both sides have points here.

Police accountability is the core issue. Qualified immunity getting expanded far beyond original intents, the increased militarization of police, astronomical budgets with no oversight, failure to properly screen/train applicants/recruits, these are all issues that have to be addressed.

None of those are mutually exclusive with the fact that the poor are disproportionally targeted by police. Non-whites are met with substantially more force than whites - Dylann Roof says hi - so people who are in both circles of that particular Venn diagram, namely poor non-whites, get it twice as hard.

Class IS the much bigger target on the back, but it takes an astonishing amount of bad faith to suggest we don't have deep problems with race in America. Can you say with a straight face that a poor black man isn't going to be treated worse by any random police officer than a poor white woman?

Change your statement to "poor white male" and I would say they are treated the same.

What you're missing is population density vs demographics heavily influences those numbers. Where are most poor blacks located? What is the population density in that location? What is the officer per sq mile ratio of that location? Now ask the same questions for poor white males.

Red necks or trailer trash cooking meth or growing weed is less likely to have a police encounter then inner city gang members. These guys get brutalized the same, only difference is less officers outside the cities.

Now for the cultural angle. A white dude becoming a law enforcement office isn't a big deal. A black male doing the same is considered a race traitor in black culture. That has an immense effect on perceptions and the number of black people in the police force.

Plus wasn't one of those dudes asian? Or are we ignoring them again.

:edit:
I'm saying this as a member of the trailer trash segment of the population. I knew people who cooked ***, robed homes and generally bad stuff. Spent an inordinate amount of effort to ensure I would never have to live in those places again.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 10:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I think police perception on the public depends on the crime factor of said area.

Places where less crime occurs generally have police presence who are more open to the community, and a community more open towards the police. The inverse is true also, in my opinion.

Plus, we are talking about a group of people in a very high-stress job.
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-02 10:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

kreek said: »
A black male doing the same is considered a race traitor in black culture.
Your county is literally on fire and you still think making racist generalisations like this are appropriate...

'black culture', my God

Not only that, it’s highly inaccurate and ignorant at best.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-02 10:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

why do people keep mentioning issues that have no bearing on this?

"He had an Asian Wife". So what- just like every dude without a non-white wife isn't racist, every dude WITH one isn't automatically a card carrying member of Black Lives Matter.

"Wasn't one of the officers Asian?" Again so what- abuse of power is abuse of power, the color of those in power isn't important at all in the discussion. Its the clash between those in control, and those not.

You can't have just one multicultural thing in your life and have that make you the moral advocate for all of America. One of the oldest mockeries of racial equality is the white guy saying "well I have one black friend"- if you can isolate all your cross racial connections down to one friend or just a spouse, or my kid's friend....then you're missing the point of NOT SEEING COLOR.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-02 10:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a color problem. But its not black that's the problem. It's blue. (that's not democrat blue, it's thin blue line *** blue)

And honestly, green. (money)
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-02 10:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I think police perception on the public depends on the crime factor of said area.

Places where less crime occurs generally have police presence who are more open to the community, and a community more open towards the police. The inverse is true also, in my opinion.

Yes, but who is the onus on? The civilian, or the trained professional? I expect more of a police officer than I do a civilian- they have the training and the responsibility in all situations they are involved in regarding conflict.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-02 10:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bunch of white people arguing about racism, on behalf of others.

The absolute state of it.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-02 10:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Yes, but who is the onus on? The civilian, or the trained professional? I expect more of a police officer than I do a civilian- they have the training and the responsibility in all situations they are involved in regarding conflict.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-02 10:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

why do people keep mentioning issues that have no bearing on this?

"He had an Asian Wife". So what- just like every dude without a non-white wife isn't racist, every dude WITH one isn't automatically a card carrying member of Black Lives Matter.

"Wasn't one of the officers Asian?" Again so what- abuse of power is abuse of power, the color of those in power isn't important at all in the discussion. Its the clash between those in control, and those not.

You can't have just one multicultural thing in your life and have that make you the moral advocate for all of America. One of the oldest mockeries of racial equality is the white guy saying "well I have one black friend"- if you can isolate all your cross racial connections down to one friend or just a spouse, or my kid's friend....then you're missing the point of NOT SEEING COLOR.

Apparently its now racist to not see color.

I'm color blind, I only see green.
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-02 10:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What I’m surprised about more than anything else is in the video of George Floyd’s murder, the EMT that arrive at the scene aren’t EMT but Sheriffs.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 10:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, you can't have cooperation without both sides.

Police do have more responsibility, and therefor should have more accountability, but communities should also have the responsibility towards each other...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 117 118 119