Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 99 100 101

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-22 15:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Obama never said fox was a failing business. So, how are your quotes relevant then to the original post?

They weren't. They were a snarky response to Zero's claim that Obama was joking and clever when talking about Fox News. You covered your point better in subsequent posts, and while I'm in agreement that Trump's anti-media rants are perhaps not in good taste, I don't agree that it's a big deal. I don't see a point in arguing it any further, either.

Yea and I +d you for it.

Now I know you said you don't to argue further on the matter.

However I'm really curious as to why you don't agree that a President/President-Elect ranting and threatening the free press is not a big deal.

For me it's potentially a big deal with respect to the first amendment.

I think it only becomes a threat to the first amendment if he uses his executive powers to silence them. Being critical on them, no matter how misguided it may be, is not a breach of the first amendment.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-22 15:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
... nobody is above the law...
Please come back from your wonderful fantasy.
He has actively tried to destroy this site on two separate occasions and yet we let him rejoin the community; The only other person that tried to shut the site down was Vigoor by threatening Scragg.

That says a lot about his attitude.
Lol... how did he actively try to destroy the site?

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-22 15:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
He has actively tried to destroy this site on two separate occasions and yet we let him rejoin the community; The only other person that tried to shut the site down was Vigoor by threatening Scragg.

Should ask Rooks, but he doesn't have the right answers for this particular problem.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-22 15:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

the first time was using texan law to find a loophole with the site's administration.

the second time was trying to get google to shut down our ad support for our content repeatedly breaking their guidelines. He would know the details involved better than I would though, as this is just glimpses of info from him and scragg
That's hilarious... and a little sad... way to go kingnooby!
By eliroo 2016-11-22 15:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

the first time was using texan law to find a loophole with the site's administration.

the second time was trying to get google to shut down our ad support for our content repeatedly breaking their guidelines. He would know the details involved better than I would though, as this is just glimpses of info from him and scragg

A Texas law to find a loophole with the site's administration? This is interesting, can we discuss this law... does it fall under random politics?

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2016-11-22 16:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I knew the previous Lt. Governor of Texas for a bit of time, maybe I can get us directly dialed into Austin.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-22 16:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Obama never said fox was a failing business. So, how are your quotes relevant then to the original post?

They weren't. They were a snarky response to Zero's claim that Obama was joking and clever when talking about Fox News. You covered your point better in subsequent posts, and while I'm in agreement that Trump's anti-media rants are perhaps not in good taste, I don't agree that it's a big deal. I don't see a point in arguing it any further, either.

Yea and I +d you for it.

Now I know you said you don't to argue further on the matter.

However I'm really curious as to why you don't agree that a President/President-Elect ranting and threatening the free press is not a big deal.

For me it's potentially a big deal with respect to the first amendment.

I think it only becomes a threat to the first amendment if he uses his executive powers to silence them. Being critical on them, no matter how misguided it may be, is not a breach of the first amendment.
Chilling effect
Quote:
In a legal context, a chilling effect is the inhibition or discouragement of the legitimate exercise of natural and legal rights by the threat of legal sanction.[1] The right that is most often described as being suppressed by a chilling effect is the US constitutional right to free speech. A chilling effect may be caused by legal actions such as the passing of a law, the decision of a court, or the threat of a lawsuit; any legal action that would cause people to hesitate to exercise a legitimate right (freedom of speech or otherwise) for fear of legal repercussions. When that fear is brought about by the threat of a libel lawsuit, it is called libel chill.[2] A lawsuit initiated specifically for the purpose of creating a chilling effect may be called a Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation, or more commonly, a "SLAPP suit".

Trump has used SLAPP lawsuits before. The lawsuit against Timothy L. O’Brien is a good example. Here is a brief overview of many lawsuits he has threatened or filed
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-22 16:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

>.> Shouldn't this have been nuked into oblivion so we could start on Random PnR #15 like a week ago?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-22 16:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
>.> Shouldn't this have been nuked into oblivion so we could start on Random PnR #15 like a week ago?

Nah it's just starting to get good.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2016-11-22 16:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Election is over, we are all civil again... right?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-22 16:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
as President he is blocking all oil imports from Saudi Arabia.
Finally something I can agree with! These guys could use a nice embargo.
And then out oil companies will get permission to export American crude and we will be back to $4 / gallon oil again!

Free market capalism! Gotta love it!!

P. S. Trump wasn't a bit "self funded" after he won the primaries.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-22 17:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »

A Texas law to find a loophole with the site's administration? This is interesting, can we discuss this law... does it fall under random politics?
First case, I never pursued. I mentioned this to another person via PM, otherwise known as Private Messaging and she decided to broadcast it all over the website, not knowing what the word Private means. Why else do you think that rule regarding how both parties of the PM must give consent to publish it publicly?

Second case, well, I was told not to discuss it. So, let your imagination run wild.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2016-11-22 17:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Long video but it's absolutely amazing. Keep an eye on Blyth's future publications.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-22 17:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Donald Trump’s Foundation Engaged in Self-Dealing, IRS Filing Shows
Foundation’s 2015 tax return reports payments to foundation insiders

Wall Street Journal

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s charitable foundation engaged in self-dealing in 2015 and prior years, the foundation said in an Internal Revenue Service filing.

That self-dealing, which typically triggers additional taxes for anyone who got improper benefits, resulted from payments to “disqualified persons,” or foundation insiders, according to the document. The document, which was the foundation’s tax return for 2015, doesn’t provide more details. Representatives for Mr. Trump didn’t respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The tax form asks if any income or assets were transferred to a disqualified person, and the foundation checked “yes.” The signed, undated form was posted on Guidestar, a website that compiles nonprofits’ tax forms. Guidestar said it was submitted by the law firm representing the foundation and that it might not be the exact final version that gets submitted to the government.

“They admit at this point that there are problems with their prior returns,” said Phil Hackney, a Louisiana State University law professor who has been examining the returns.

The tax code requires nonprofits to release their tax returns publicly. As a result, the foundation’s filings give voters one of the few peeks they have had into Mr. Trump’s dealings with the IRS. He was the first major-party presidential candidate in 40 years to refuse to release his tax returns....
And lots more, mostly background.
By fonewear 2016-11-22 18:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Donald Trump’s Foundation Engaged in Self-Dealing, IRS Filing Shows
Foundation’s 2015 tax return reports payments to foundation insiders

Wall Street Journal

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s charitable foundation engaged in self-dealing in 2015 and prior years, the foundation said in an Internal Revenue Service filing.

That self-dealing, which typically triggers additional taxes for anyone who got improper benefits, resulted from payments to “disqualified persons,” or foundation insiders, according to the document. The document, which was the foundation’s tax return for 2015, doesn’t provide more details. Representatives for Mr. Trump didn’t respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The tax form asks if any income or assets were transferred to a disqualified person, and the foundation checked “yes.” The signed, undated form was posted on Guidestar, a website that compiles nonprofits’ tax forms. Guidestar said it was submitted by the law firm representing the foundation and that it might not be the exact final version that gets submitted to the government.

“They admit at this point that there are problems with their prior returns,” said Phil Hackney, a Louisiana State University law professor who has been examining the returns.

The tax code requires nonprofits to release their tax returns publicly. As a result, the foundation’s filings give voters one of the few peeks they have had into Mr. Trump’s dealings with the IRS. He was the first major-party presidential candidate in 40 years to refuse to release his tax returns....
And lots more, mostly background.

You mean lots more that we won't read !
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-22 18:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving you crazy ones ! Don't fill up on stuffing save room for turkey. That bird died for your pleasure.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-22 19:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want trump impeached... I think most of you forget that pence takes over if trump is out and he's far worse...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-22 19:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
You will read it, however, as self-dealing is a felony charge and, if found guilty, Trump must be impeached, because then he'd be a convicted felon ineligible to hold public office.

Welcome to the Candlejack drinking game. Over the next few months, take a drink anytime he says "faithless elector", "Hitler", "KKK", or a form of the word "impeach". Any survivors can set the new rules after that.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2016-11-22 20:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Happy (almost) Thanksgiving you crazy ones ! Don't fill up on stuffing save room for turkey. That bird died for your pleasure.
When is your country's thanksgiving? I forgot you dorks are coming up soon

Thursday this week.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 20:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You will read it, however, as self-dealing is a felony charge and, if found guilty, Trump must be impeached, because then he'd be a convicted felon ineligible to hold public office.

Welcome to the Candlejack drinking game. Over the next few months, take a drink anytime he says "faithless elector", "Hitler", "KKK", or a form of the word "impeach". Any survivors can set the new rules after that.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-11-22 20:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I've said it going back to his very first entering the primary.

The man uses his lawyers to bully everyone. It's a disgusting abuse of our legal system pitting his money against people hoping he can use it to scare them away.

And I really doubt he's going to try to "shore up" those loopholes so people can't abuse them the way he claims he wants to with taxes.

He's a carpetbagger and it's going to bite him in the *** when his mass of down trodden and angry supporters realize he took advantage of them and their emotions.

I've been saying this for a while and no joke it's like yelling into the wind with some folks and relatives.

I could say this exact same thing about Clinton and be 100% correct.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-11-22 20:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want trump impeached... I think most of you forget that pence takes over if trump is out and he's far worse...
Ah, yet glories of glory, if Pence acts on his bigoted impulses, he can also be impeached. Federal hate crimes laws apply to the president as well.

The strategy of calling everyone a bigot worked out so well for Dems this election. Keep it up. Trump needs a supermajority in the midterms.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 99 100 101