Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 99 100 101
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-18 12:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a Norwegian woman a few years ago as well
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-18 12:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Or politicians who go on news shows, who are on the science committee, or the technology committee, and who speak as if they are on an expert on a subject that they know nothing about (e.g. cybersecurity, encryption, coding, etc).

Quote:
Without censorship this is a self-correcting cycle.

You say that but...
Free press. >.>

Not even touching the dumb politicians who can't be bothered to educate themselves.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
There was a Norwegian woman a few years ago as well

Does that make three publicized cases of this then, or am I confusing the last time it was international news? I would have sworn it was a British woman last time I heard about it.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-18 12:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Gali
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecution_of_Marte_Dalelv
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-11-18 12:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Sessions pick hits the wire and instantly the reaction is

Normally, I'm on board with this general sentiment

But when his own party thought he was too racist to be a judge - in the 80s! - maybe the correct response really is "whoa, maybe this guy shouldn't be the Attorney General of the United States, ya think?"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
But when his own party thought he was too racist to be a judge

Stop being so cravenly PC, Rooks.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well ***. Clearly I conflated one with the other, but that does make 3.

***'s sake, Dubai.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

But when his own party thought he was too racist to be a judge - in the 80s! - maybe the correct response really is "whoa, maybe this guy shouldn't be the Attorney General of the United States, ya think?"

YOU EDITED THAT; I SAW YOU USE THE WRONG FORM OF "TO"!!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 12:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you saying this in you admin character or another of your personalities?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

...rainbow tag doesn't like quotation marks, huh?
By eliroo 2016-11-18 12:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Just going to leave this here:

http://www.issues2000.org/Domestic/Jeff_Sessions_Civil_Rights.htm
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-11-18 12:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

...rainbow tag doesn't like quotation marks, huh?

No, it's super finicky. It's kind of an obnoxious thing to deal with, really.

Are you saying this in you admin character or another of your personalities?

If I show up as "Rooks", it's admin-mode. Any other ID you see in here is me just partaking in the discussion.

YOU EDITED THAT; I SAW YOU USE THE WRONG FORM OF TO

I'm on the record as saying I'll fix typos if asked, so I can fix my own too. What always happens though, is people start shaking their fist in the air or talking about angels getting their wings or what not, so I just leave their typos as is
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-18 12:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

***'s sake, Dubai.

Probably tons of cases that don't get picked up by the media and then the cases that aren't reported because it's such a shithole to assaulted women
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

***'s sake, Dubai.

Probably tons of cases that don't get picked up by the media and then the cases that aren't reported because it's such a shithole to assaulted women

Yeah. That's sort of the implication. You know for every time it happens to one international traveler with the clout to get the world out it's happening far, far more frequently to people without the ability to fight back.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on the record as saying I'll fix typos if asked, so I can fix my own too. What always happens though, is people start shaking their fist in the air or talking about angels getting their wings or what not, so I just leave their typos as is

Yes, but really when we're being reasonable, clearly you have to see that...

Quote:
"1. Thou sayeth we hath nothing between us,
Our lives hath cometh between us,
And we art falling apart.
2. I sayeth what about breakfast at Tiffany's?
Then the voice of God did spake from above,
3. 'Breakfast with a woman not thine wife
Is adultery, a most grievous sin!
Repent, else Mine words striketh ye down!'
4. Trembling, now, she sayeth,
I think I doth remember that film line!"
-One Hit Wonders 13:1-4
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 13:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

He sounds like a very open-minded, thoughtful individual!

Said absolutely no one.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 13:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Reagan's picks for SCOTUS back then, as Ramy pointed out

Rooks pointed it out.

I suggested maybe Rooks was being too politically correct.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-18 13:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't understand this attitude.
Just cause some generic person or entity used it incorrectly it's not like racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc stopped existing. Don't get so hung up on something episodic when you're dealing with a problem that should not be condoned by anyone.

We just can't simply dismiss their arguments because we find that they are racist, xenophobic or homophobic. If you really want to stop those things then you need to stop calling them bigots and start understand where they are coming from. Someone who you think is racist, may not actually be racist but may have just said or implied things that you think are racists.

Even then understanding their racism in this case will do much to alleviate it. If you just call them a bigot and shut them out you will do nothing but solidify their opinion if not make it worse.

Bigot has been used terrible and has been very dismissive in the past year, it is nothing but an excuse to gain leverage in an argument that you can't feasibly win. Its context has been nothing but bigotry itself by writing off another opinion without plausible merit.
We've had these discussions before. There are no logical arguments for, say, a Muslim ban or marriage inequality. That's where this call for understanding ultimately breaks down since it's hard to trace some lines of thinking back to an attitude that doesn't stem from a fundamental belief that certain groups are inferior to others and don't deserve the same treatment.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 14:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
There are no logical arguments for, say, a Muslim ban or marriage inequality

Which is where everything falls apart, because the people who want them see them as perfectly logical and reasonable. Muslim terrorists are too big a danger to our freedom and Muslim communities, intentionally or otherwise, clearly represent a place where these terrorists can hide out and plot against America.

As for gay marriage, there's no question. Men and women were made to be together, men and men were not. It's right in the Bible. Marriage came from God in the very beginning. Not man. You can't pervert that!

...you see why this is all very difficult.
By fonewear 2016-11-18 14:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The only inferior group is us deplorables on FFXIAH !
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 14:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The only inferior group is us deplorables on FFXIAH !

I'll sign that legislation.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-11-18 14:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

When people say that Math and numbers are racist, it really loses its effect. Great job on calling everything and everyone you don't like racist. It means absolutely nothing now.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 14:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
When people say that Math and numbers are racist, it really loses its effect. Great job on calling everything and everyone you don't like racist. It means absolutely nothing now.

I don't know I've ever heard that math and numbers are racist, but I've certainly heard that objective weights and measurements are fatphobic, so some fat activist psycho made this.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-11-18 14:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act
- Agreed to this. The courts should care about violence against PEOPLE, not just Women. Men get *** in court, and family court is essentially a shake down these days. If a woman so much as breaks a nail or bruises her hand while beating her husband with a hammer in most cases the male will still get the book thrown at him.

Voted YES on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration
- Disagreed to this. Burning the flag is a ***thing to do, but should be an upheld right nonetheless.

Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage
- Disagreed to this. While I think marriage shouldn't be anything the government even gets involved with, it should be open to homosexuals, transexuals, dragonkin, spriggankin, whatever.

Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes
- Agreed to this for mostly the reason 'hate crime' is a silly construct anyway. If it's a crime regardless of what the perpetrator felt, then it's a crime.

Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping
- Disagreed, government and law enforcement should go through rigorous efforts to get this type of privilege.

Voted NO on setting aside 10% of highway funds for minorities & women
Voted YES on ending special funding for minority & women-owned business
- Agreed, make it equal for all, what's with propping up people based on race or gender? That's just as racist as beating down other based on race or gender.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 14:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In the SJW world, to acknowledge differences is to pick sides. It's only allowed when the result soils the majority.

It's not very tolerant or open minded to be incapable of seeing anything but your own predujices in the genesis of people's beliefs. Just sayin.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 14:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
There are no logical arguments for, say, a Muslim ban or marriage inequality

Which is where everything falls apart, because the people who want them see them as perfectly logical and reasonable. Muslim terrorists are too big a danger to our freedom and Muslim communities, intentionally or otherwise, clearly represent a place where these terrorists can hide out and plot against America.

As for gay marriage, there's no question. Men and women were made to be together, men and men were not. It's right in the Bible. Marriage came from God in the very beginning. Not man. You can't pervert that!

...you see why this is all very difficult.

I will legit challenge you on he notion that you have to shill the Bible if you insist on observing the differences between heterosexual and homosexual unions.

Do you even see that your prejudice is in full display?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 14:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Agreed, make it equal for all, what's with propping up people based on race or gender?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

I am going to explain that the theory here is that by giving them additional funding that's what makes it fair, otherwise they're starting from a position of weakness.

Again. I'm not supporting. Just explaining the theory.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 14:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I heard a little earlier on the radio a caller who was concerned about Trump's promise to create jobs. Why? Because more jobs means more businesses and more businesses means MORE POLLUTION.

McLol.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 14:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I will legit challenge you on he notion that you have to shill the Bible if you insist on observing the differences between heterosexual and homosexual unions.

Without religion there is no basis on outrage for the topic. The physical differences are obvious, but from a legal and societal standpoint there is no valid basis for denying two people in love the right to equal rights under the law.

Do you even see that your prejudice is in full display?

You have never seen my prejudice on full display Nausi, and you never will. I would never get myself that satisfaction, let alone you.
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 99 100 101