Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 99 100 101
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The Republicans have a very rare opportunity to do some real good for this nation....
But they won't.

They will do wonderful things for the wealthy. But for the rest of us? Look at Kansas.
Or you could look at Texas. Republicans have been holding office for almost 20 years now. And we are one of the most economically and socially sound states in the nation.

We aren't perfect, but we are a damn sight better than most states in the nation.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 16:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
The hardcore partyliners who are apparently too good to take the gracious leanings of seeing what he does with an open mind, wishing to come to Canada, are doing the same thing that the hardcore partyliners of the republicans threatened to do with Obama was elected. Only I think some of them are trying to go through with it.
Reason why it never happened to Obama outside the legal limits of Congress is because 1) it would be political suicide and 2) it could be easily overturned.

But for a party who has played legal obstruction many times before (see: Wyoming democrats suing and using "lawfare" tactics on conservative opponents), it will more than likely happen. Except this time, it will be brought out onto the spotlight and a lot more democrats/liberals will be ousted because of it.

As far as PPACA goes, I don't think it needs to be wiped away entirely, because let's face it - America needed to overhaul it's entire healthcare system. I just think placing it on the go federally all at once was a bad move. it should have been a gradual testing ground, with participation of each state having a say and discussion. And I really doubt it will be removed, too many people who didn't have even basic insurance, and now have it, need it, love it, and are using it as intended.
Those that get it for free love it you mean.

Those who get subsidies, even 2/3rds subsidies, are still paying nearly 100 bucks a month just to be covered. And those who don't get subsidies at all? A lot of them can't even afford it.

And companies who are just barely making it without the very expensive health insurance bill each month? They are going out of business, which leads to more unemployment and compounding the real economic problem. You don't try to solve one problem by making another worse....
And people going into generational crippling family debt because someone got hurt at work, or can't work due to piling medical bills, then being tossed out onto the street was the solution that didn't work. Ever.

Most of the people, even those who are paying the full amount, are happy having insurance when they'd otherwise be denied coverage. It left them uninsured - in a state of unease that they'd be the next statistic of a growing homeless problem.

But I've already recognized a lot of the problems that the PPACA had, and still has. There are those, like Altima, who's clearly voiced his disdain for paying for insurance quite clearly, that end up becoming dependent on welfare and charity instead of using the insurance to pay their medical bills, to get them back to work, or to find ways to keep them working, or with some kind of constructive income. $100 bucks a month to be covered is nothing to sneeze at when basic medication for common illnesses without insurance can inflate to as much as 5x what you'd pay for vaccinations, much less hospital bills.

It also works on keeping people employed in the medical field (and has been a great lure on bringing in Doctors from Canada to the US) to help alleviate waiting times for patients, reduces hospital stays, and has a ripple effect on other areas of every day life.

It's one of those overhauls where the benefits are seen gradually over time. There is no instant fix for either problem, but they can alleviate each other when there is a successful compromise, and clear cut plan, instead of "Make it constitutional", or "I don't like this, go fix it, and bring me a shrubbery"

But if it's really the whole cost issue for the lower and middle class, or less successful businesses, I thought the old credence of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps was the go to response to not being poor?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-11 16:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The Health Insurance lobby is pretty powerful with "YUGE" coffers.

Politicians say they want to touch it because their base, who doesn't understand what's really going on with it nor understands who profits from it, likes hearing it.

However politicians won't be doing anything that negatively impacts the profits of the a lobbying health insurance industry.

To really fix the problem of health care in our country you need to address the price gouging of pharmaceuticals and the health care industry in general. That would require *gasp* regulations.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 16:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The Republicans have a very rare opportunity to do some real good for this nation....
But they won't.

They will do wonderful things for the wealthy. But for the rest of us? Look at Kansas.
Or you could look at Texas. Republicans have been holding office for almost 20 years now. And we are one of the most economically and socially sound states in the nation.

We aren't perfect, but we are a damn sight better than most states in the nation.
One of the reasons why Alberta is often compared to Texas.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-11 16:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
I wonder if KN realizes that under federal law, a convicted felon cannot hold public office of any kind?

I wonder if KN realizes that the crime of rape warrants a felony charge, and there are still rape cases pending against Trump?

Essentially, even if Trump is sworn in before the verdicts in any of those cases come down, if there is a single guilty verdict he is instantly impeachable. Proceedings can, and should, start if that happens.
I wonder if CJ realizes that all of those "rape" charges are well past the limitations statue, and cannot actually go to trial.

Also, I wonder if CJ realizes that these "rape" charges were never brought up until after Trump became nominee.

Makes you wonder if these charges are real or not.....
Not saying they are or not but take a look at Cosby... they all came out pretty late against him but yeah...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

And people going into generational crippling family debt because someone got hurt at work, or can't work due to piling medical bills, then being tossed out onto the street was the solution that didn't work. Ever.
And how often did that happen? I mean, seriously.

You do know that one of the reasons why healthcare was so expensive in the first place was because people were treating emergency rooms like the doctor's office, and when it came time to pay, they didn't.

After a while, that bill get's paid for by the taxpayers, or written off. If it's written off, that makes it harder for that hospital to stay open, or give quality care.

But to get back to the point, with the ability to not pay hospital bills and not get punished for it, how often did what you say actually happen?

Generally speaking, most people, when faced with a large bill like that, would seek financial assistance or come to an agreement with the hospital to pay over time. And now, with super-high deductibles, they still have to do that, on top of having a high insurance premium to pay. How is that any solution?

Most of the people, even those who are paying the full amount, are happy having insurance when they'd otherwise be denied coverage.
Look, I will give credit when credit is due. One of the very few ideas that came out of PPACA that was good was the non-denial of existing conditions clause. That should stay regardless on how Obamacare is handled in the near future.

$100 bucks a month to be covered is nothing to sneeze at when basic medication for common illnesses without insurance can inflate to as much as 5x what you'd pay for vaccinations, much less hospital bills.
It also relied heavily on people buying insurance and not using it. Which didn't happen, as healthy, young people would rather pay a small penalty than to get insurance they will more than likely not use.

Even at full force, the penalty is cheaper than insurance is today.

And it will always be cheaper, because the government will never have the guts to charge a penalty worth charging to get people on insurance. But that point is moot, because that part of Obamacare is going away on day 1.

It also works on keeping people employed in the medical field (and has been a great lure on bringing in Doctors from Canada to the US) to help alleviate waiting times for patients, reduces hospital stays, and has a ripple effect on other areas of every day life.

Except we aren't seeing an influx of doctors in the field. It's actually the opposite, in reality.

More doctors are going cash-only instead of taking insurance, or outright retiring, than coming into the field. That's not exactly helping the situation either.

There is no incentive to stay in the field, and a lot of disincentive to retire early....

But if it's really the whole cost issue for the lower and middle class, or less successful businesses, I thought the old credence of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps was the go to response to not being poor?
That's what liberal pundits say the conservative argument is.

It's better to grow the economy so people can afford insurance by their choice, without assistance from the government than it is to enforce laws requiring insurance that the government dictates people have, at the expense of the economy. I hate to break it to the liberals, but Obamacare is a perfect example of government mandate will never grow the economy, ever.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I wonder if KN realizes that under federal law, a convicted felon cannot hold public office of any kind?

I wonder if KN realizes that the crime of rape warrants a felony charge, and there are still rape cases pending against Trump?

Essentially, even if Trump is sworn in before the verdicts in any of those cases come down, if there is a single guilty verdict he is instantly impeachable. Proceedings can, and should, start if that happens.
I wonder if CJ realizes that all of those "rape" charges are well past the limitations statue, and cannot actually go to trial.

Also, I wonder if CJ realizes that these "rape" charges were never brought up until after Trump became nominee.

Not saying they are or not but take a look at Cosby... they all came out pretty late against him but yeah...
Which would be interesting to see if it holds, as federal law on statue of limitations is pretty clear on this. If they rule against him, the appeals will just be because of this law.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-11 16:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The assault cases against Trump were civil cases, which means statute of limitations doesn't apply. I recall hearing the case involving the 13 yo was dropped, but I'm not completely sure on that one. Either way, a civil case wouldn't have any of the same legal ramifications as a criminal conviction would.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

But they won't.

One of the reasons why Alberta is often compared to Texas.
One can also look at Kansas to see how fiscally and socially destructive Republicans can be.
Yes, because one example tells everything, even though multiple examples of the opposite of your point should be ignored for the sake of your point.

I mean, seriously. I understand that you are very bitter that your candidate lost, and your hero and savior's legacy will be destroyed for the betterment of society, but you should really learn from this lesson and do better next time. Otherwise, you are going to get somebody worse than Clinton in 2020. Like Lordgrim.

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 16:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Which would be interesting to see if it holds, as federal law on statue of limitations is pretty clear on this. If they rule against him, the appeals will just be because of this law.
Bill's rape allegations in at least one case were done within the statute of limitations, and some states have multiple laws for the statute of limitations, based on the scenario.

In Pennsylvania that statute of limitations was 12 years. The allegations were brought against him 2 weeks before the limit was up.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The assault cases against Trump were civil cases, which means statute of limitations doesn't apply. I recall hearing the case involving the 13 yo was dropped, but I'm not completely sure on that one. Either way, a civil case wouldn't have any of the same legal ramifications as a criminal conviction would.
Which means that, when brought to court, they will have civil penalties only and are not considered criminal in nature.

I will be honest, I didn't pay attention to these charges because honestly, the timing of them being brought up smelled fishy.

Thanks for bringing up the fact that these are civil in nature, not criminal.

There will be no felony conviction.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-11 16:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

And like I said, the damage can still be done. If found guilty on even one of the charges, the dems will push for him to be impeached because it definitively means he broke the law and it caught up with him.
It's not a question of guilt in a civil case. OJ was found not guilty in criminal court but held liable in a civil case. Different legal definitions.

And I'm not super clear on impeachments but doesn't the action need to occur in office?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And like I said, the damage can still be done. If found guilty on even one of the charges, the dems will push for him to be impeached because it definitively means he broke the law and it caught up with him.
You forgot to add treason charges too.

But keep grasping for those straws.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 16:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That bit of information pleebo provided should be worthy of a +, KN.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-11 16:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But they won't.

That's possible, but even if it happens it's not like it would be any different with a Clinton presidency. She wasn't getting all of those Wall St. and hedge fund donations because they wanted her to help the poor.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 17:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

He got my yearly ration of Pleebo pluses already. He got it yesterday.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 17:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

He got my yearly ration of Pleebo pluses already. He got it yesterday.
Well fine then, give him one you normally reserve for me.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 17:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]s are non transferable!

You should have read the FFXIAH guidelines!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-11 17:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pushing Rooks to implement a 30 day money back guarantee.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 17:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading is for suckers and scholars, and I'm a ringpop.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-11 17:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
But they won't.

That's possible, but even if it happens it's not like it would be any different with a Clinton presidency. She wasn't getting all of those Wall St. and hedge fund donations because they wanted her to help the poor.

The question remains can either one of you cite where that economic policy was successful? Plenty of data to suggest it doesn't work, especially for the average joe.

To say "Well your guy/gal policy wasn't going to help poor either", isn't a convincing counter point.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 17:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There are no guidelines for FFXIAH!
How do you think we let fonewear post in here?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 17:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There are no guidelines for FFXIAH!
How do you think we let fonewear post in here?
By sheer irony?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-11 17:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
But they won't.

The question remains can either one of you cite where that economic policy was successful? Plenty of data to suggest it doesn't work, especially for the average joe.

To say "Well your guy/gal policy wasn't going to help poor either", isn't a convincing counter point.

There wasn't an economic policy stated in the quote thread, but I'm assuming you're referring to trickle-down? If Trump can successfully bring jobs back from overseas through clever tax initiatives (I'm not holding my breath), then it would help both the rich and poor. It's not a mutually exclusive thing, it just hasn't been done right. Clearly whatever we've got going on now hasn't helped much, and "More of the Same" version 2.0 with the limited edition Goldman Sachs plating isn't exactly ideal either.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 17:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know they sold anything sheer at Huffpost, much less grasped the concept of irony.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 17:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There also isn't a Simpson's clip about sheer or irony either.
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 99 100 101