Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 99 100 101

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 12:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Anyone want to calculate the odds?
First they have to find something that Trump did that was illegal in office, instead of making ***up before he is even sworn in....
I must assume that you didn't read the article.
I did, but you cannot impeach a president outside of office.

Remember, Clinton wasn't impeached because he had sexual relations with a woman other than his wife, he was impeached because he lied under oath and obstructed an investigation in such matter.

Like I said, he has to do something illegal in office, not make ***up as you go.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-11-11 12:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Prior to the election, I didn't care which of these fools won but now I'm glad Trump did for one reason.

It's forcing liberals to recognize that it's more than the fringe that disagree with them, which is what they were so sure of.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 12:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
You might also have more than enough "never Trumpers" in the Electoral College to swing their decision and land Hillary into the White House as Faithless Electors.

It's going to be funny when you move on from denial to acceptance. She lost dog.
Mosin, the only thing really stopping Faithless Electors from not voting at all or voting contrary to pledge are monetary fines. Who knows what their stance is on Trump? They could've really wanted Kasich. They could even prefer Hillary over Trump for all we know. They aren't allowed to broadcast or share what their thoughts are prior to their December 18th vote. All I'm saying is, there could be Never Trumpers in the EC who might turn Faithless and either withhold their vote or go to Hillary instead.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-11 12:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Prior to the election, I didn't care which of these fools won but now I'm glad Trump did for one reason.

It's forcing liberals to recognize that it's more than the fringe that disagree with them, which is what they were so sure of.
What? lol...

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 12:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Valefor.Omnys said: »

What? lol...
In other words (assuming you aren't trolling, of course), that it's not just a minority that disagree with them, but most of the nation.

Trump is not the candidate we wanted, but we got him, and he is better than the alternative. Better to elect him than it is to have more "PC crap" shoved down our throats.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-11-11 13:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You might also have more than enough "never Trumpers" in the Electoral College to swing their decision and land Hillary into the White House as Faithless Electors.

It's going to be funny when you move on from denial to acceptance. She lost dog.
Mosin, the only thing really stopping Faithless Electors from not voting at all or voting contrary to pledge are monetary fines. Who knows what their stance is on Trump? They could've really wanted Kasich. They could even prefer Hillary over Trump for all we know. They aren't allowed to broadcast or share what their thoughts are prior to their December 18th vote. All I'm saying is, there could be Never Trumpers in the EC who might turn Faithless and either withhold their vote or go to Hillary instead.

Yeah cause you think riots are bad now? 63million people 3/4 of which own guns. That would be a mistake we would never recover from.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-11-11 13:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

First they have to find something that Trump did that was illegal in office, instead of making ***up before he is even sworn in....

Remember, Clinton wasn't impeached because he had sexual relations with a woman other than his wife, he was impeached because he lied under oath and obstructed an investigation in such matter.

Like I said, he has to do something illegal in office, not make ***up as you go.

Making ***up is precisely how liberals operate. If you dare to disagree they beat you over the head until you submit.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 13:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Making ***up is precisely how liberals operate. If you dare to disagree they beat you over the head until you submit.
And then beat you over the head some more just for the act of having a differing opinion (also to prevent ideas from other people watching).

You know, to send a message to the world.
By Viciouss 2016-11-11 13:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

How many victim cards are in the deck you guys are using? Or is it just a 52 card deck of victim cards? Pathetic.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 13:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should hide this complimentary sack of oranges that don't leave any marks or bruising.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 13:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
How many victim cards are in the deck you guys are using? Or is it just a 52 card deck of victim cards? Pathetic.
Have you figured out why the liberals/democrats are losing so badly since 2010, or are you going to continue down your smug way?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 13:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
I guess I should hide this complimentary sack of oranges that don't leave any marks or bruising.
Real men use soap.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-11 13:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Long Time Mass Surveillance Defenders Freak Out Now That Trump Will Have Control

Quote:
The Lawfare blog, run by the Brookings Institution, has long reliably been a good source to go to for reading what defenders of mass surveillance and the surveillance state are thinking -- in a non-hysterical way. While I disagree with much of what's posted on there, it tends to be thoughtful and interesting reading. Its founder and Editor-in-Chief is Ben Wittes, who's always good for an impassioned defense of the NSA's surveillance on Americans, and was all in on forcing tech companies to break encryption. He wasn't worried, you see, because he was quite sure the NSA would never spy on him. Because, you know, he's a good guy.

Maybe take the time to explore that strange feeling and you can start to understand why so many of us have been concerned about the entire apparatus that you've been cheering on for years, because, as you once said: "I have a great deal of confidence that the National Security Agency is not spying on me." There are an awful lot of people who haven't had that confidence for a while. And a great many more who won't have that confidence under the next administration. That strange feeling that Wittes has is finally a recognition that maybe he should be concerned about those people too.

This isn't a post to mock Ben, but to highlight why so many of us were so concerned all along, even as he mocked us. This is serious stuff and believing that unconstitutional warrantless mass surveillance is okay because you trust the guy in charge only works if you can always trust the guy in charge. And you can't... as Ben and others are suddenly discovering.

Original post from Lawfare
The Burden on Donald Trump
Quote:
Donald Trump, whether he understands it or not, has won the presidency with a unique burden: Most serious national security experts regard him not merely as weak and unprepared for the roles of Commander in Chief and the country’s leader in foreign policy, but as an affiirmative national security threat.

When we founded this site more than six years ago, I never in my wildest dreams imagined myself writing these words about a man who will take the oath of office as President of the United States. We began Lawfare on the assumption that the U.S. federal executive branch was a tool with which to confront national security threats. While I accepted that its manner of doing so might threaten other values—like civil liberties—or prove counterproductive in protecting national security goods, I never imagined I would confront the day when I ranked the President himself among the major threats to the security of the country.

I have spelled out my concerns on these points at great length (see also here and here), as have many others of both political parties. They are, in fact, not really my concerns so much as a broadly shared set of anxieties about the man whom the American people have chosen to the lead them. The Washington Post reports today that “A palpable sense of dread [has] settled on the intelligence community.” The Post is understating the matter.

My point here is not to reiterate the concerns about Trump. It is too late for that; the time for persuading our countrymen not to elect the man has passed. My point now is to emphasize that because of these concerns, this is no normal presidential transition, and to acknowledge that Trump’s victory fundamentally changes how I understand what I do as a national security legal writer and analyst.

But there’s a risk, in saying these things, of normalizing Trump’s ascendancy. His victory triggers certain path dependencies associated with the peaceful transition of power, and those path dependencies have a soothing feel to them. We will talk about presidential appointments and policy priorities. And with respect to many domestic and economic matters, I suppose that all makes sense.

The problem is that it also has a way of whitewashing the multiple reasons to fear a Trump presidency on national security grounds. And that’s dangerous. Because winning an election doesn’t make normal or okay the things Trump has promised to do: killing terrorists’ families, torture, banning Muslims from the country. It doesn’t make normal or okay the erratic personal behavior, late-night tweet-storms, or inability to restrain himself from taking the bait when taunted. It doesn’t make okay or less scary his rejection of the conventional American defense posture.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-11 14:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't ok when GWB did it, it's not ok under Obama, and it will still be unconstitutional when T-rump is president. The problem is most people don't have a clue about how far it goes, or they would be pissed.

#Pardonmoscoweddie
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-11 14:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How many victim cards are in the deck you guys are using?

it's a vegas style 6-Deck Blackjack Dealing Shoe...

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-11 14:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't ok when GWB did it, it's not ok under Obama, and it will still be unconstitutional when T-rump is president. The problem is most people don't have a clue about how far it goes, or they would be pissed.

#Pardonmoscoweddie
They also have no clue how far Trump will be willing to take it. You see how petty he can be on Twitter, right? Now, imagine him with the authority to send the Military Police to kick your door in at three in the morning just because you somehow pissed him off.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that you don't have a clue what the President of the United States actually does, don't have a clue who Donald Trump is, and don't see the irony in how you so closely mirror the views of the Republicans who literally thought Obama was going to declare martial law.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 14:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

#Pardonmoscoweddie
They also have no clue how far Trump will be willing to take it. You see how petty he can be on Twitter, right? Now, imagine him with the authority to send the Military Police to kick your door in at three in the morning just because you somehow pissed him off.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that you don't have a clue what the President of the United States actually does, don't have a clue who Donald Trump is, and don't see the irony in how you so closely mirror the views of the Republicans who literally thought Obama was going to declare martial law.
I think he's 5 more uses of the word "treason" away from being our next resident 2020er.
[+]
By Viciouss 2016-11-11 14:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think many people are confused about how shitty of a person Trump is, but it does appear that a vast majority of people don't know how limited a President's power is, even with control of Congress.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-11 14:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanksgiving with be along shortly, we'll all eat some turkey and get shitplastered, and promptly begin to *** about something else. people have the attention span of a stoned goldfish.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-11 14:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

will*
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 14:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Have you figured out why the liberals/democrats are losing so badly since 2010, or are you going to continue down your smug way?
The office alternates back and forth with must elections being very close; I would not be using hyperbole accurately here.

The time for sensationalism is taking a break.
Wait, are you saying that the democrats losing House/Senate seats, the PotUS, governorships, and state legislation are just flukes determined by a pendulum swing of viewpoints swinging between left and right ideologies?

Hate to break it to you, but these things happen for a reason. It's up to us to figure out what that reason is and either capitalize on it or fix the problem if it needs fixing.

Liberals have a major problem on their hands, and by the looks of the media, and even some of our own liberal posters here, they haven't even addressed that a problem exists. It's just that the mass is ignorant still, and they must double down on their rhetoric to help "educate" us all.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 14:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanksgiving with be along shortly, we'll all eat some turkey and get shitplastered, and promptly begin to *** about something else. people have the attention span of a stoned goldfish.
*** turkey, steak is where it's at.

By Bloodrose 2016-11-11 14:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
The office alternates back and forth with must elections being very close; I would not be using hyperbole accurately here.

The time for sensationalism is taking a break.
Wait, are you saying that the democrats losing House/Senate seats, the PotUS, governorships, and state legislation are just flukes determined by a pendulum swing of viewpoints swinging between left and right ideologies?

Hate to break it to you, but these things happen for a reason. It's up to us to figure out what that reason is and either capitalize on it or fix the problem if it needs fixing.

Liberals have a major problem on their hands, and by the looks of the media, and even some of our own liberal posters here, they haven't even addressed that a problem exists. It's just that the mass is ignorant still, and they must double down on their rhetoric to help "educate" us all.
Quite a few of the more liberal posters here have identified the problems - in a nut shell, Hillary managed to sabotage her own campaign.

This election cycle was less about voting for something, even the lesser of two evils. It was voting AGAINST something. Which is a huge problem in and of itself.

There were more people being vocal about their election choices this cycle, but neither side really knew ***about their own candidate.

Same reason as above - more people were being vocal about the election and politics, but somehow even less people managed to vote.

This is really an establishment issue on both sides - while the candidates exercised the careful language of "Get out and vote", some were more adamant and specific with towing the party lines i.e. if you were a repub, vote repub, regardless of what that means, if you were a dem, you are expected to vote dem.

People are seeing politics more than they are seeing fellow Americans - throwing any and all forms of compromise or teamwork out the window because it's been ingrained to stop people from the other side of the aisle.

And that's just a small sample of issues that should have been highlighted, but weren't, and are never really addressed.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-11 14:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't think there was ever a Clinton cult, unless Katy Perry alone is defined as one.
If there are anti cults the entire GOP has been an anti-Clinton cult since '92.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 14:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Quite a few of the more liberal posters here have identified the problems - in a nut shell, Hillary managed to sabotage her own campaign.
That's a problem. That's not the problem.

What it boils down to is that it wasn't really Trump vs. Clinton that won Trump the election, it was Political Correctness and Establishment vs. the rest of the nation. It was that people were tired of being looked down upon and called "deplorable" for not agreeing and falling in step with the liberal message.

It's been building for years. The "elites" of the political class snubbing their noses towards the rest of the community and nation as a whole, telling us that we are no good for having a different viewpoint that they do.

In FFXI terms, it's the very few people who can knock out 5% more damage on parsers snubbing those who are trying to enjoy the game as it is.

It's really that simple. And people are saying it, but they aren't being listened to while the liberals/media are licking their wounds from a horrendous defeat at the hands of the public.

It wasn't Trump who won this election, it was the voice of the people who won.
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 99 100 101