Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 08:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
When I was 7, I walked down to the convenience store all the time by myself (without my 6 year old sister) and there was never a problem (mind you, this was about 25 years ago).

There's a mob mentality going on that we must all be helicopter parents, and apparently these officers agree....

I remember once -- I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8, so pretty much exactly the same time frame as KN -- my friend and I walked what I would conjecture was about a mile and a half round trip to the corner store with a forged note from his sister -- pretending to be his mother -- and a fiver to buy her cigarettes, and we were allowed to keep the change and buy whatever candy or comics we wanted.

I don't know that it's more astounding we were able to buy cigarettes with a note from a "parent" or that there was enough money left over from a $5.00 bill to buy anything else.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 08:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

They use a buddy system: Check

Parents know where they are going: Check

Children have proven to be responsible and safe: Check

The world is only as dangerous as you make it out to be: Check

And they are being charged for child neglect, amongst the millions of kids in the US that are actually being neglected and abused?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 08:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
When I was 7, I walked down to the convenience store all the time by myself (without my 6 year old sister) and there was never a problem (mind you, this was about 25 years ago).

There's a mob mentality going on that we must all be helicopter parents, and apparently these officers agree....

I remember once -- I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8, so pretty much exactly the same time frame as KN -- my friend and I walked what I would conjecture was about a mile and a half round trip to the corner store with a forged note from his sister -- pretending to be his mother -- and a fiver to buy her cigarettes, and we were allowed to keep the change and buy whatever candy or comics we wanted.

I don't know that it's more astounding we were able to buy cigarettes with a note from a "parent" or that there was enough money left over from a $5.00 bill to buy anything else.

Oddly enough, I remember days like that.

But the owner of the corner store lived only like 4 blocks down from where I lived, and the store was a block from where I lived.

Five dollars got you a pack of smokes, and a handful of 5 cent gummy sours.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 08:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I mean, the corner store owner knew my friend's mom, and his sister specifically bought the same kind of cigarettes that she smoked to sell the story, but...

...come to think of it, given that they did know each other, that was a hell of a gapping oversight on his sister's part. She could have easily been caught the next time her mom went to that store.

WAY TO GO FRIEND'S SISTER WHO I BARELY REMEMBER. I HOPE YOU GOT GROUNDED FOR YOUR POOR PLANNING.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 09:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that's just silly. But you can't do that here in Texas today (at least). The fines/penalties for selling to minors are very harsh, and you will lose your ability to sell those items if caught.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 09:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that's just silly. But you can't do that here in Texas today (at least). The fines/penalties for selling to minors are very harsh, and you will lose your ability to sell those items if caught.

Oh, yeah, for sure. It's the same here.

But again. 25 years ago or so...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 09:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, to go back to simpler times.....

Ramyrez, we are old!

You younguns get off my lawn!

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 09:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 09:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care for this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 09:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Must be a slow news day.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 09:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

beats another attempt to bash stupid Obama for the trillionth time.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 09:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

O ramy already posted it, my bad.

I never back-read this thread.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 09:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
But, you would miss out on the potatoes!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 09:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

But, you would miss out on the potatoes!

And we Irish heritage folks -- even half-bloods like me -- never pass up a potato.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 09:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

to atone, here's a story no one's seen yet.

Family fails their hero-dog.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 10:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

to atone, here's a story no one's seen yet.

Family fails their hero-dog.

FIVE children? In this day and age?

It's not like you were going to lose little Andrew to the Rubella. Trade one of them for the dog, ffs.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 10:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I assume it was a farm house. it's pretty typical to crank out children specifically to help with farm work.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-01-15 10:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

5 is nothing... My brothers father in law has 17 brothers and sisters.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 10:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

what's that Lassie? a fire?!?!?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 10:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

I assume it was a farm house. it's pretty typical to crank out children specifically to help with farm work.

Yeah but even a generation ago losing 1-2 of them to disease, or the cotton gin, or Ed Gein was a liklihood...these days having more than 2-3 is seriously just being ostentatiously arrogant about your genetic material.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 10:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not always true.

My father had 13 brothers and sisters, and my grandfather wasn't a farmer, he was an engineer at Phillips 66.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 10:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think, of our generation, the biggest I know personally is nine children, and I know of two instances of that. Both Catholic families (which probably goes without saying). The one may have had a few more, but sadly their mother got cancer and passed away.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-15 10:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I said it was pretty typical, I didn't say it was a law of nature. your grandma must've been hot.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 10:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think, of our generation, the biggest I know personally is nine children, and I know of two instances of that. Both Catholic families (which probably goes without saying).
Yeah, my father's family was heavily Catholic too.

My father isn't though.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 10:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I said it was pretty typical, I didn't say it was a law of nature. your grandma must've been hot.
I never knew either of my grandmothers.

My mom's mother died when my mom was 5. My mom's father never remarried.

My dad's mother died just before my sister was born, and I wasn't even 1 yet. I have one picture of her holding me.

Illness took both of them.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 11:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think your friend was taken in by the Doomsday Boogeyman.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 11:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
A friend of mine today explained how humanity is *** and we'll never be able to repair the earth; and when fossil fuels run out it'll be the end of our way of life completely.

I said no, the minute fossil fuels are gone (and likely decades before) all that money and energy will be focused on finding the next exploitable fuel source we can renew or come up with to make it lucridly profitable. Humanity will adapt and nothing will really change behaviour wise on a large scale; On that precipice we'll come up with amazing things to replace necessity.

Do you guys agree with him?
Heck, I highly doubt we will deplete our entire fossil fuel resource.

With technology advancing more towards "greener" energy (solar, wind, water), we will be off of fossil fuels well before we spend our entire worldwide reserve.

Part of the price of gas dropping can be indirectly attributed towards the advancement of this technology. Indirectly, mind you.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 11:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

While it could be argued that we are, effectively 30-50 years behind production on energy efficient/alternative energy products, there are still leaps and bounds being made in viable, cost-efficient, cost reducing (at all levels, from manufacturing to general use) products available to the public.

Even in the face of lobbying against such products, because it hurts their bottom line.

The trick here is to create competition for the items being produced, and still turn a viable profit - many companies have already started competing with themselves to reduce outside competition.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 11:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohio man planned to bomb the US capitol and kill officials

Quote:
A 20-year-old Ohio man's Twitter posts sympathizing with Islamic terrorists led to an undercover FBI operation and the man's arrest on charges that he plotted to blow up the U.S. Capitol and kill government officials.

Christopher Lee Cornell, also known as Raheel Mahrus Ubaydah, told an FBI informant they should "wage jihad," and showed his plans for bombing the Capitol and shooting people, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Ohio Wednesday. The FBI said Cornell expressed his support for the Islamic State.

Cornell's arrest came only days after a grand jury indictment charged another Cincinnati-area resident with threatening to murder House Speaker John Boehner.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said in a statement Wednesday: "Once again, the entire Congress owes a debt of gratitude to the FBI and all those who keep us safe."

The complaint against Cornell charges him with attempting to kill officers and employees of the United States.

Cornell was arrested Wednesday after buying two semi-automatic rifles and about 600 rounds of ammunition, authorities said.

The public was never in danger, said John Barrios, acting special agent in charge of the FBI's Cincinnati division.

Messages were left Thursday for attorney Karen Savir, a federal public defender listed in court records as Cornell's attorney. A working phone number could not be found for Cornell's family.

His father, John Cornell, told The Cincinnati Enquirer in a story for Thursday's editions that his son was a "momma's boy who never left the house." He said his son endured frequent incidents of abuse as a practicing Muslim.

"Everything you're hearing in the media right now, they've already painted him as some kind of terrorist," John Cornell told the newspaper. ... "They've painted him as some kind of jihadist. ... (Christopher) is one of the most peace-loving people I know."

In a statement Thursday from Oak Hills High School, which Cornell attended, Principal John Stoddard said teachers were shocked at the 2012 graduate's alleged involvement in the plot. Stoddard said Cornell was a typical student, and teachers remember him as quiet but not overly reserved.

The complaint alleges that an FBI informant began supplying agents with information about Cornell last year. The informant and Cornell, who lives in Green Township, first began communicating through Twitter in August 2014 and then through an instant messaging platform separate from Twitter, according to the complaint.

"I believe we should meet up and make our own group in alliance with the Islamic State here and plan operations ourselves," Cornell wrote in an instant message, according to the court document.

The two met in October in Cincinnati and again in November, the complaint states. Cornell told the informant at the November meeting that he considered the members of Congress as enemies and that he intended to conduct an attack on the Capitol, according to the complaint. The document says Cornell discussed his plan for them to travel to Washington and conduct reconnaissance of the security of government buildings including the Capitol before executing "a plan of attack."

Cornell planned for the two to detonate pipe bombs at and near the Capitol and then shoot and kill employees and officials, and Cornell had saved money to fund the attack, according to the complaint.

On Tuesday, authorities had disclosed that Cincinnati-area bartender Michael R. Hoyt, who has a history of mental illness, had been charged with threatening to kill Boehner at a country club near his home with a gun or a poisoned drink. A grand jury indictment against Hoyt was filed in U.S. District Court in Ohio on Jan. 7.

Hoyt, 44, is being held for mental evaluation and treatment at a federal medical center in Massachusetts.

What's really scary is how the propaganda issued by ISIS is turning supposed "peaceful people" into murderous lunatics.....

Islam may have been a peaceful religion at one point in time, but when it is influencing people to turn into murderous nutjobs, maybe people should question the validity of the religion....
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 1375 1376 1377