U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 44 45 46
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 14:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Let's pretend for a minute that human made co2 is the #1 cause of climate change. What's a tangible solution?

The same solution the left has had forever. Over-tax, over-regulate, and everything will magically work out.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 14:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
No, how can one argue that moar co2 = more warming then over 18 years when moar co2 doesn't = moar warming, still conclude that co2 is the doomsday compound we were all told it was?
CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas, but it accounts for 20% of the overall effect and it's one we would ALL benefit from producing less.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Let's pretend for a minute that human made co2 is the #1 cause of climate change. What's a tangible solution?

The same solution the left has had forever. Over-tax, over-regulate, and everything will magically work out.
Let's hear it from the other side. Surely that have a better solution that will produce real results.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 14:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Incoming laundry list of utopian ideas, I hope you're ready.

That's the other half of it. Even if we follow all the liberal initiatives the predicted temp (and we know how accurate those have been) impact is what, a tenth of a degree over a century? How would anyone ever quantify that? Why isn't that part of the conversation, or does it just not matter because communism/liberalism can do no wrong.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope you're ready.
I'm ready as long as it isn't the usual better we something than nothing argument.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 14:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
No, dumping record amounts of co2 is suppose to make the world hotter, thats what all the models have said (and failed to validate) since I've been alive.

Unless you were born in 1997, you're wrong.
No, how can one argue that moar co2 = more warming then over 18 years when moar co2 doesn't = moar warming, still conclude that co2 is the doomsday compound we were all told it was?

I'm not a chemist or climatologist. I just look at the data and agree the planet has changed rapidly and for the worse. I defer further judgments to people with expertise like an adult, instead of slamming doors and stomping my feet like a child.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 14:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Then your just a water carrier.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 14:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Living in reality makes me a water carrier...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 14:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Living in reality makes me a water carrier...

How would you even know you just look at the data and agree.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So that's really the issue here. What's a better source of energy that has a less negative impact on the environment than what we have now?

Until then it's better to tax and over regulate current industries and pass on the costs to average citizen while the alarmists profit from their doomsday propaganda. Let's also make sure oil/coal/fracking companies make huge profits too to balance it out.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-08-13 14:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

WW3! gotta thin their numbers.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 14:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I defer further judgments to people with expertise like an adult, instead of slamming doors and stomping my feet like a child.

I wish I could defer judgments to people with expertise while at work. But then I wouldn't notice how wrong they often are.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

That's the most practical solution yet...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 14:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How about more white guilt and down looking if you want to shower every day and stay cool in the summer?

Oh wait I know, moar bloated public transit systems!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 14:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

How about more white guilt and down looking if you want to shower every day and stay cool in the summer?

Nah, public transit systems just increase white guilt even more, because I know I can more easily get a taxi.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, public transit systems just increase white guilt even more, because I know I can easily get a taxi.
Uber, bro.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
Server: Asura
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-08-13 14:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing i never hear about in climate change and its the biggy, the sun. The sun has more to do with our climate change than any other cause. People never discuss the fact that the sun works in cycles at present solar activity has peaked and is starting to produce less energy now and that will cause. A cooling effect. Also what is never mentioned is the orbit around our sun, people think the orbit is static but it isn't, it is dynamic. Distance change of less than a million miles plus or minus will cause the earth to either cool or heat up. These are just many of the things that cause climate change.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
One thing i never hear about in climate change and its the biggy, the sun. The sun has more to do with our climate change than any other cause. People never discuss the fact that the sun works in cycles at present solar activity has peaked and is starting to produce less energy now and that will cause. A cooling effect. Also what is never mentioned is the orbit around our sun, people think the orbit is static but it isn't, it is dynamic. Distance change of less than a million miles plus or minus will cause the earth to either cool or heat up. These are just many of the things that cause climate change.
I tried.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43080/us-climate-has-already-changed-study-finds/35/#2945661
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 14:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I defer further judgments to people with expertise like an adult, instead of slamming doors and stomping my feet like a child.

I wish I could defer judgments to people with expertise while at work. But then I wouldn't notice how wrong they often are.

If you're trying to pose that climate scientists are less competent than career managers, you've got a hard sell.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 14:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're trying to pose that climate scientists are less competent than career managers, you've got a hard sell.

All of my coworkers (and most of my superiors) are scientists. To be fair, though, none of them have to go through the horrors of having to publish things.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 14:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

All of my coworkers (and most of my superiors) are scientists. To be fair, though, none of them have to go through the horrors of having to publish things.

Climate science DOES have to be published, and peer reviewed, and tested, and refined, and retested, etc. Someone doesn't just assume it's all there and ring a bell to inform everyone like you guys are portraying it does.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 14:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Um, ok, you're a statistician? Really? Because you're acting Nausi-level ignorant here. The models have managed to stay accurate within their described limits. I've linked several times to evidence supporting this. You and the other denier-- oh, skeptics, have not linked a single thing to refute this. Hell, you haven't even linked a single anything.

You know how this works. Well, in theory you should. Models are incomplete descriptions of natural phenomenon. Always incomplete and never 100% accurate because it's near impossible to account for literally everything. When new information is obtained, a model is updated. Only people looking to justify their ignorant talking points would see this as nefarious plotting instead of what it is - the typical scientific process.

I've asked you several times for complete data sets so that I could analyze them myself, and every time you've sent me on wild goose chases into websites that didn't give me squat. I basically implied that the models needed work, you agreed, and you still manage to try and insult my intelligence with arguments that have little to do with what I've actually said. I'm glad your peanut gallery thinks you're scoring points, though.
So your sticking point is a near unattainable standard. Convenient. Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on. You know very well I do not have access to raw data nor is it widely available. Hell, I still have no idea what data you would actually want. The closest you could come would be emailing corresponding authors. Still, I've linked several more in-depth pieces compared to the one in the OP and have received zero feedback on the actual science. Saying that models need work is like saying water is wet. Top shelf observation.

The fact of the matter is that no one on the other side of the argument actually wants to discuss science. If they did, we'd see more than posts whose content amounts to little more than "nuh-uh". It's fine, of course, since not everyone has the desire to do so, but the annoyance sets in when the notably ignorant bat their "facts" around as if there's any understanding behind them at all.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-08-13 14:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the big problem with climate changers is that they have been believing it for so long and followed the leaders they dont want to see the truth that they may have been misled by the al gores of tbe world who have become extremely wealthy because of it. Better to live a lie than except the truth.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 14:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on.
Isn't that what you are doing though?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 14:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
People don't discuss it because solar radiation is being constantly monitored and the minute changes in solar output can't account for the excess energy accumulated in our atmosphere. It's one of the few climate variables that's easily accounted for.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on.
It would have been quicker to type NO U
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 14:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see that being argued. That's probably why you don't get it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 14:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I don't see that being argued. That's probably why you don't get it.
Say that again.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 14:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said:
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
It would have been quicker to type NO U
That the best you got?

Sorry that I don't play by your rules or use your own rebuttals.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So your sticking point is a near unattainable standard. Convenient. Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on. You know very well I do not have access to raw data nor is it widely available. The closest you could come would be emailing corresponding authors. Still, I've linked several more in-depth pieces compared to the one in the OP and have received zero feedback on the actual science. Saying that models need work is like saying water is wet. Top shelf observation.

Is there a good reason why the data isn't widely available? Maybe I'm in an unusual position, but typically when I ask for data, I get it. You can sit there and tell me all day long about your procedures and processes and techniques and tell me how accurate it all is, but the actual evidence is found in analyzing collected data. Everything else may look good on paper, but it's superficial.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So, again, you only came here to provoke Pleebo?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 44 45 46