U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 44 45 46
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-12 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a large difference between constructive critque and wilfull ignorance.

All scientific papers should be critiqued.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-12 15:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

But then again, for you, hypothesis = fact.

Da derp dee derp da teetley derpee derpee dumb

Fix'd. People putting far too much effort into this guy.

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Peer review is one of the cornerstones of the scientific process. Science isn't biased, but Scientists can be.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They should be viewed with careful and tactful skepticism and critique.

Or you know, denying all science because. Magic underwear.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-12 15:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

How is fix a tricky term?
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 15:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Lye said: »
I always told undergrads that science is a verb, not a noun.
And I hate you for it. The near-fetishization of science, to the point of treating it as a verb, by current youth culture, especially on the internet, is almost certainly at the heart of the problem. It might not be the cause, but it is a symptom. People have always seen science as some kind of magic (c.f., Arthur C. Clarke's famous quotation), but it has gotten so much worse that we now refer to "sciencing" or "doing science" instead of saying something more appropriate.

It's a sort of anti-mysticism: make it seem so mundane as to be beneath even the dumbest puddle of diarrhea listing through a gutter. At least when you write delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, you give the appearance of knowing what the hell you're saying and intrigue interest in finding out what was just said.

I disagree. Allow me to illustrate using a simple substitution in your quote:

And I hate you for it. The near-fetishization of knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation, to the point of treating it as a verb, by current youth culture, especially on the internet, is almost certainly at the heart of the problem. It might not be the cause, but it is a symptom. People have always seen knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation as some kind of magic (c.f., Arthur C. Clarke's famous quotation), but it has gotten so much worse that we now refer to knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentationing or "doing knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation" instead of saying something more appropriate.

It's a sort of anti-mysticism: make it seem so mundane as to be beneath even the dumbest puddle of diarrhea listing through a gutter. At least when you write delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, you give the appearance of knowing what the hell you're saying and intrigue interest in finding out what was just said.

I understand you don't like the "wow science is rad" stuff.

But the scientific process doesn't belong to the intellectual elite. Your second paragraph leads me to believe you are more interested in how others think of you than the search for truth.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 15:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.
Engineering bases a lot of it's final productions on hypothesis testing as well. "If I do this... this should do that" kind of thing.

My god, stick to milk.

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.

What the hell do you think engineering is if it is not science?

The entire debate has been over hypothesis testing a simple little scientific tool. While of coarse engineering has that tool, its not the only one that was used to build the machines capable of sending stuff to other planets and smashing atoms together.

Yet you guys wanna use one simple little tool to present biased data as fact and then compare it to building modern marvels.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 15:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I always told undergrads that science is a verb, not a noun.
And I hate you for it. The near-fetishization of science, to the point of treating it as a verb, by current youth culture, especially on the internet, is almost certainly at the heart of the problem. It might not be the cause, but it is a symptom. People have always seen science as some kind of magic (c.f., Arthur C. Clarke's famous quotation), but it has gotten so much worse that we now refer to "sciencing" or "doing science" instead of saying something more appropriate.

I disagree. Allow me to illustrate using a simple substitution in your quote:

And I hate you for it. The near-fetishization of knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation, to the point of treating it as a verb, by current youth culture, especially on the internet, is almost certainly at the heart of the problem. It might not be the cause, but it is a symptom. People have always seen knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation as some kind of magic (c.f., Arthur C. Clarke's famous quotation), but it has gotten so much worse that we now refer to knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentationing or "doing knowledge gained by systematic study and experimentation" instead of saying something more appropriate.

I understand you don't like the "wow science is rad" stuff.

But the scientific process doesn't belong to the intellectual elite. Your second paragraph leads me to believe you are more interested in how others think of you than the search for truth.
I'm a student of words. I was referring to the word "science," not the concept it represents. I'm thoroughly interested in scientific endeavor, but my personal specialty is language and its utilization. In socio-political and linguistic terms, the way the word "science" has been co-opted seems symptomatic of the disease of ignorance that feigns interest in scientific inquiry while having none of the required substance.

Basically, people who use the word "science" as a verb are essentially poseurs. Am I being clear enough?
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
There is enough evidence to reasonably assume that climate change is being expedited by human activity. That being said, it's really, really stupid to assume that the methods used to study it are above critique. The study that Pleebo posted has flaws. Frick, my field of study more or less revolves around finding flaws in studies where scientists tried as hard as possible to follow correct procedures but blow it due to false assumptions and methods. Pretending that any study is above critique is as stupid as outright denying everything it says.
I don't think anyone argues that they should not be critiqued. But there is a big distance from critique, which understands the terms and subject matter, and people who claim stupid or physically impossible things because they either:
- Don't have the fundamental knowledge/terminology/experience to understand the subject matter
- Blindly repeat what someone else has declared to be true, without due diligence

That isn't to say that a layperson can't understand, or educate themselves. But the simple matter is that most do not or will not.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-12 15:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys hear that? Data is biased now. Because numbers care what you think of them.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 15:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
You guys hear that, Data is biased now. Because numbers care what you think of them.
Interpretation of data is biased. Hell, go talk to a mathematician and ask him/her if 2 + 2 equals 4. If s/he is feeling honest, the answer is "Not always."
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-12 16:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What is it with you and magic underwear?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-12 16:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Interpretation of data is biased. Hell, go talk to a mathematician and ask him/her if 2 + 2 equals 4. If s/he is feeling honest, the answer is "Not always."

That's absolutely true [Science isn't biased, Scientists can be]. But Altimaomega didn't say "interpretation of data" now did he?
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 16:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically, people who use the word "science" as a verb are essentially poseurs. Am I being clear enough?

Again, I disagree.

Those that acknowledge that "science" means the active process of experimentation that CAN yield insight into how or why something occurs are in no way "poseurs."

Furthermore, I'm inclined to think that anyone that uses the term "poseur" needs to get a grip on reality.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 16:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Engineering bases a lot of it's final productions on hypothesis testing as well. "If I do this... this should do that" kind of thing.

My god, stick to milk.

The entire debate has been over hypothesis testing a simple little scientific tool. While of coarse engineering has that tool, its not the only one that was used to build the machines capable of sending stuff to other planets and smashing atoms together.

Yet you guys wanna use one simple little tool to present biased data as fact and then compare it to building modern marvels.
Was it the only tool? No.
Was it the tool, upon which every other tool was built? *** yes.

To use an analogy, you are trying to get milk by killing a cow. You might get a litle milk by accident, but you probably wouldn't run your dairy farm that way.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-12 16:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
To use an analogy
Analogies aren't accepted here.

If you don't believe me, ask Lye.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

That's absolutely true [Science isn't biased, Scientists can be]. But Altimaomega didn't say "interpretation of data" now did he?

I forgot that your totally ignorant and I need to write out an essay for you to even try and understand the basic's of skepticism.

To which you would reply with one word... Derp
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

My god, stick to milk.

Was it the only tool? No.
Was it the tool, upon which every other tool was built? *** yes.

To use an analogy, you are trying to get milk by killing a cow. You might get a litle milk by accident, but you probably wouldn't run your dairy farm that way.

I wouldn't run anything using only one tool, but it seems that this entire debate keep's getting drawn back to ONLY ONE TOOL!
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 16:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, I disagree.

Those that acknowledge that "science" means the active process of experimentation that CAN yield insight into how or why something occurs are in no way "poseurs."

They are scientists.
Though I'm sure you can point at some desperately-trying-to-be-hip person (probably you?) who'll be the exception, the majority of scientists I know refer to their field as "virology" or "mechanical engineering" or something similar. Generalization of terms promotes mundanity and things perceived as prosaic are easily dismissible by the frivolous public.

You seem to think I'm saying that science and scientists are bad. Far from.

I do appreciate, though, that you seem to hold my specialty in so little regard. You may consider drinking a bucket of your name as your reward.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 16:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, don't like magic underwear?

Meet my magic potato.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-12 16:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, don't like magic underwear?

Meet my magic potato.

Oh no! My only weakness!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-05-12 16:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Global warming nut jobs sound just as absurd as the religious people they frequently try and mock.

"We've angered the earth and we must atone for our sins."

Your 'scientists' are nothing more than big tent revival priests who tap into your own sense of guilt and offer you salvation from it for the right price.....
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 16:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, I disagree.

They are scientists.
Though I'm sure you can point at some desperately-trying-to-be-hip person (probably you?) who'll be the exception, the majority of scientists I know refer to their field as "virology" or "mechanical engineering" or something similar. Generalization of terms promotes mundanity and things perceived as prosaic are easily dismissible by the frivolous public.

You seem to think I'm saying that science and scientists are bad. Far from.

I do appreciate, though, that you seem to hold my specialty in so little regard. You may consider drinking a bucket of your name as your reward.

I'm a biochemist. I'm also a scientist. Go figure!

Seriously? "Poseur?" Your "specialty?"

I think you need to get over yourself.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 16:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Global warming nut jobs sound just as absurd as the religious people they frequently try and mock.

"We've poisoned the earth and damaged almost all of it's natural resources. We must atone for our sins."

FTFY
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-12 16:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Meet my magic potato.
GLaDOS?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 16:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Meet my magic potato.
GLaDOS?
His name is Spud.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It finally got warm out today, I guess this whole warming thing is true after all.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-12 16:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you think those modern marvels were built?

There was a large amount of testing (hypothesis testing) done before anyone built a physical object. Hell there is testing after an object is built.

There is a documentary of how the LHC was built, pretty interesting. A lot planning and testing went on before anything was built.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 16:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems that this analogy isn't sufficient.
You are complaining about someone only using female cows to produce milk at their dairy farm.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 16:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

"We've angered the earth and we must atone for our sins."

Your 'scientists' are nothing more than big tent revival priests who tap into your own sense of guilt and offer you salvation from it for the right price.....

YouTube Video Placeholder

I prefer to kick the earths *** on extreme mode.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 44 45 46