U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 44 45 46
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-12 14:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Great, now I'm moderately aroused.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-05-12 14:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

:D
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-12 15:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

But then again, for you, hypothesis = fact.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Arousal of this nature can only be explained with magic underwear.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 15:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I can see Pleebo carrying all of us stoopids on his shoulders, like atlas... except not in a tidy spherical mass but just a huge pile of writhing idiotic bodies trying to wrestle themselves free so they can fall into a pit of lava...

You'll never save me alive!!!!

<kersploonk... sizzle!!!!>
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-12 15:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I did not realize that there was such controversy over hypothesis testing.

Do they not teach the scientific method in schools anymore?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Science? SCIENCE?! You mean that devil's tool to figure out the way things work with magic?! BLASHPEMER!

You'd honestly be surprised what's been stricken from science classes these days.

I think scientific method is the least of your worries.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Science? SCIENCE?! You mean that devil's tool to figure out the way things work with magic?! BLASHPEMER!

You'd honestly be surprised what's been stricken from science classes these days.

If the method is stricken, it's a pretty huge worry.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

If the method is stricken, it's a pretty huge worry.
There are plenty of science classes that teach Creationist Science to counter science, scientific method, and that Evolution is unnatural, despite the clear signs of it in society.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 15:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

The controversy is over presenting arguably biased hypothesis testing as cold hard fact.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still waiting for the "and God shat out the transistor and said lo, let there be semiconductors and processors in bountiful supply, and may your logic gates multiply, amen"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 15:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Science: Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey liberal indoctrination tool.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 15:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

US science teaching has been on the decline for longer than most of us have been alive. If anyone happens to know why this would be, given we're allegedly one of the most technologically advanced societies in history, please mention it.

I would allege some silly religious conspiracy or something, but all of our teaching standards have been falling at rather shocking rates.

And, for the record, I was introduced to the basics of the scientific method (and skepticism) in first grade. I was also taught how to write and publish narrative, how to sing, how to join wood, and a host of other skills that I still use all the time. I seriously wonder if that makes my education increasingly unique.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 15:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I always told undergrads that science is a verb, not a noun.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

The controversy is over presenting arguably biased hypothesis testing as cold hard fact.
Have you actually read the IPCC reports? Everything is essentially phrased as probabilities, e.g. highly correlates, low probability, etc.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 15:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see Pleebo carrying all of us stoopids on his shoulders, like atlas... except not in a tidy spherical mass but just a huge pile of writhing idiotic bodies trying to wrestle themselves free so they can fall into a pit of lava...

Except the one thing I've really not seen him doing is addressing the question I always ask: can humans fix this? Debating whether current trends are anthropogenic or not has some merit (best to know where the disease comes from in order to treat it, after all), but if we're ultimately impotent to meaningfully alter it, then debating about it is just another puff of methane wafting into the upper atmosphere.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

US science teaching has been on the decline for longer than most of us have been alive. If anyone happens to know why this would be, given we're allegedly one of the most technologically advanced societies in history, please mention it.

I would allege some silly religious conspiracy or something, but all of our teaching standards have been falling at rather shocking rates.

And, for the record, I was introduced to the basics of the scientific method (and skepticism) in first grade. I was also taught how to write and publish narrative, how to sing, how to join wood, and a host of other skills that I still use all the time. I seriously wonder if that makes my education increasingly unique.
Because it is "cheaper" to encourage educated immigrants than educate children.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It kind of does make your education increasingly unique.

Kids are being passed through grades regardless of total and final marks, simply because the system has become far too overloaded to handle the individualized attention some students require.

Being skipped ahead grades, but given coursework for previous grades still doesn't alleviate the forceful rush of pushing them through.

A lot of the pressure is speculatively said to come from parents - particularly those who feel their child can do no wrong, or those who feel their child is entitled to a higher education, regardless of what they may or may not actually learn.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 15:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Elitist.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-12 15:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in America, there's a huge push to put creationism and evolution on the same intellectual and academic level.

Does that put the situation in context?

Derp.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-12 15:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm wondering how god made it's way into this discussion... no one has said anything resembling "there is no global warming or there is global warming because god not humans"

I may not be recalling correctly but I don't ever recall the mention of god in the debate on climate change...

so yeah...
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 15:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 15:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
I always told undergrads that science is a verb, not a noun.
And I hate you for it. The near-fetishization of science, to the point of treating it as a verb, by current youth culture, especially on the internet, is almost certainly at the heart of the problem. It might not be the cause, but it is a symptom. People have always seen science as some kind of magic (c.f., Arthur C. Clarke's famous quotation), but it has gotten so much worse that we now refer to "sciencing" or "doing science" instead of saying something more appropriate.

It's a sort of anti-mysticism: make it seem so mundane as to be beneath even the dumbest puddle of diarrhea listing through a gutter. At least when you write delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, you give the appearance of knowing what the hell you're saying and intrigue interest in finding out what was just said.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-05-12 15:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I'm wondering how god made it's way into this discussion... no one has said anything resembling "there is no global warming or there is global warming because god not humans"

I may not be recalling correctly but I don't ever recall the mention of god in the debate on climate change...

so yeah...
It's my fault. I did it with this:

Lye said: »

***Secretly I'm waiting for some nut to say: "God intends for things to get warmer." ***
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Except the one thing I've really not seen him doing is addressing the question I always ask: can humans fix this? Debating whether current trends are anthropogenic or not has some merit (best to know where the disease comes from in order to treat it, after all), but if we're ultimately impotent to meaningfully alter it, then debating about it is just another puff of methane wafting into the upper atmosphere.
Fix is a tricky term. Humans can do quite a few things to modify climate now; the truth is that we are historically poor at comprehending potential ramifications beforehand.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 15:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.
Engineering bases a lot of it's final productions on hypothesis testing as well. "If I do this... this should do that" kind of thing.

My god, stick to milk.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 15:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

so yeah...

Look, keep your beak out of this inevitable clash between the forces of gay liberals trying to summon their primals with climate change science and the righteous forces of machine gun christ armed with bibles, feelings and more oil money than a saudi oil sheikh.

All we need to do is distract these fools just a bit longer and we'll summon Al Gore even more powerful than our last encounter. All will bow before the Lord of the Internet.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-12 15:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What the hell do you think engineering is if it is not science?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 15:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy hell, science is the underpinnings and foundation of engineering. You don't have engineers slap ***together and say meh, all scientific principles say the bridge will collapse, but we'll build it like that anyway.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-12 15:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There is enough evidence to reasonably assume that climate change is being expedited by human activity. That being said, it's really, really stupid to assume that the methods used to study it are above critique. The study that Pleebo posted has flaws. Frick, my field of study more or less revolves around finding flaws in studies where scientists tried as hard as possible to follow correct procedures but blow it due to false assumptions and methods. Pretending that any study is above critique is as stupid as outright denying everything it says.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 44 45 46