Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 188 189 190
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-08 14:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
It would seem that the Appetant Umbrils take extra damage from Lux and Ignis than any other Rune Lunge - Since the last Umbril i took on only took 2100 from a Flabrax3 Lunge.

Before i even engage one though, i tend to have 3 runes up, then gambit from the get go, stock 3 more runes, and then lunge.

Do we know exactly how much magic def- we get from 3x gambit?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-08 15:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
It would seem that the Appetant Umbrils take extra damage from Lux and Ignis than any other Rune Lunge - Since the last Umbril i took on only took 2100 from a Flabrax3 Lunge.

Before i even engage one though, i tend to have 3 runes up, then gambit from the get go, stock 3 more runes, and then lunge.

I don't have a solid number, but it's quite significant if you use it on one of the knotted roots. Without Gambit i can hit around 11-1200 Lunge, with Gambit it varies from 1500-1800, so anywhere between a 25-50% magic damage resistance decrease is my guess.

I also wanted to mention a different TP head piece for RUN (if acc isn't and issue) Sigyn's Visor.
By VioDjango 2013-04-08 15:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

I don't have a solid number, but it's quite significant if you use it on one of the knotted roots. Without Gambit i can hit around 11-1200 Lunge, with Gambit it varies from 1500-1800, so anywhere between a 25-50% magic damage resistance decrease is my guess.

I also wanted to mention a different TP head piece for RUN (if acc isn't and issue) Sigyn's Visor.

I'd agree with this. I see a 20%+ Increase on en-damage as well, I'd say.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-08 16:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Blood I thought gambit was -magic def not magic resi.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-08 16:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It reduces an opponent's Magic Damage resistance (which is the magic damage taken) of a certain element(s) based on the number and types of runes active.

When i type magic damage resistance, i pretty much mean -Magic Defence (of a specified element)
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-08 16:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic def and resistance are two totally different stats though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-08 17:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

key word i'm using is magic *damage* resistance, not simply magic resistance. It's basically giving the foe +"element" damage taken, which is described as "Element damage resistance", not "elemental resistance"
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-08 17:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Either I'm confused by your ambiguous wording or you might be confused on this.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-08 17:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming he's correct, what he means is that it works more like, say, Tomahawk (except for magic and without the requirement of needing prior damage resistance to an element, like water on pugils), and not like Enervation.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-08 18:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone try tanking Tiamat on run yet? >_> <_< >_> <_<

I just think this would be the most genius way to get more Herald's gaiters into the market.
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2013-04-08 18:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

dont know if someone mentioned this but lunge can magic burst.
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2013-04-08 18:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone who's interested in RUN knows. :P
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2013-04-08 19:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just playing around with RUN I've been trying things out, earlier an LS mate said she wanted to go after Nahn for BLU accessory, I looked it up and figured it'd be a good, and easy as hell, test subject because it casts AoE Flood and other Water spells....plus just about anything swinging at me has a chance to raise my Parrying skill.

ItemSet 295965
This is the crap equipment I tanked in.

I was able to keep hate against a THF SAing Nahn and Eviserating him, and the BLU spamming Lores (Yes, I want to call them lores.) RUN/SAM, no Voke, just Flash and my JAs. I don't think I ever fell beneath 75%, and with 3x Sulpor + Valiance up, his Floodga did 0 to all 3 of us. It was a zerg battle, for the most part and I think at the moment, that's how I'd have to tank, just the way I am geared, which isn't well.

I realize Nahn is pretty much...nothing, but he's slightly harder than normal mobs, so it's a start. I'd like to get better gear and try something harder, working my way up. I'd kinda like to try Carabosse.

I'm guessing most of you have already tanked harder stuff than Nahn, so anyone else got anything to share?
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-08 20:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I remembered seeing it written somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me. What were the enmity values of the JA's? I want to say they are really really big. Was doing meebles the other night with my static, and we were doing the one in batallia where you have to force the bombs and djinns to explode. I went drk/run to take advantage of the same magic as day tp bonus on djinns, was me and a nin and a whm at djinns, I finished off mine, then got onto the one the nin was fighting. The nin had already taken the djinn to 25%, I put on my 1 damage club, and timers were up so I did Lux > Lux > Valation > Pflug. Suddenly I had hate that did not want to go away.

So, to late for long story short, how huge is the enmity on these moves?
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-04-08 21:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Calamity said: »
I thought I remembered seeing it written somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me. What were the enmity values of the JA's? I want to say they are really really big. Was doing meebles the other night with my static, and we were doing the one in batallia where you have to force the bombs and djinns to explode. I went drk/run to take advantage of the same magic as day tp bonus on djinns, was me and a nin and a whm at djinns, I finished off mine, then got onto the one the nin was fighting. The nin had already taken the djinn to 25%, I put on my 1 damage club, and timers were up so I did Lux > Lux > Valation > Pflug. Suddenly I had hate that did not want to go away.

So, to late for long story short, how huge is the enmity on these moves?
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/37086/rune-fencer-findings-equipment-etc/13/#2283613
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
A few things that have been tested from what I saw on bg:

- MDB VII at 99.
- Elemental Sforzo: 1800 CE, 7200 VE
- Gambit: 640 CE, 1280 VE
- Lunge: Normal dmg enmity
- All wards: 450 CE, 900 VE (Valiance like most AOEs is per target hit)
- Swordplay: 160 CE, 320 VE.
- Foil: 80 CE, 240 VE
- Runes: 80 CE, 320 VE
- Embolden, One for All: 160 CE, 320 VE (OfA is per target hit)

Think all was tested from Dasva.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-08 21:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said: »
Just playing around with RUN I've been trying things out, earlier an LS mate said she wanted to go after Nahn for BLU accessory, I looked it up and figured it'd be a good, and easy as hell, test subject because it casts AoE Flood and other Water spells....plus just about anything swinging at me has a chance to raise my Parrying skill.

ItemSet 295965
This is the crap equipment I tanked in.

I was able to keep hate against a THF SAing Nahn and Eviserating him, and the BLU spamming Lores (Yes, I want to call them lores.) RUN/SAM, no Voke, just Flash and my JAs. I don't think I ever fell beneath 75%, and with 3x Sulpor + Valiance up, his Floodga did 0 to all 3 of us. It was a zerg battle, for the most part and I think at the moment, that's how I'd have to tank, just the way I am geared, which isn't well.

I realize Nahn is pretty much...nothing, but he's slightly harder than normal mobs, so it's a start. I'd like to get better gear and try something harder, working my way up. I'd kinda like to try Carabosse.

I'm guessing most of you have already tanked harder stuff than Nahn, so anyone else got anything to share?
done carabosse and glavoid, back a few pages
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-08 21:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So the combination of the two abilities together is only as much VE as provoke, but also 900 CE. God it just felt like more than that >.>
By darthmaull 2013-04-08 21:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What I have noticed is that RUN does not need lots of damage to tank. This job is different in that sense. It is pretty easy to hold a mobs attention with flash and JA's. Im still on the road to leveling all my skills before I test RUN against some really hard NM's but from the mobs I have tested stuff on, RUN is promising. Timers need to be adjusted but as far as hate control goes, this job is definitely a tank.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-08 21:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also since we're on the subject of mass casting nm's, and I didn't see a response when it was asked a few pages back. But I have soloed Suzaku. It's fairly easy. Just used tp build with the exception of adding in twlight torque, mollusca and double dark rings. Was easy. Went /nin. Between shadows, capped agi and capped parrying, he never hit me, other than maybe 1 lucky shot during CS when I didn't bother reapplying shadows. Embolden Shell V, Barfire, Unda runes, and all the other tools, dropped his nukes to the point where Regen IV had no trouble keeping up. You will still want to counter his 1hr with your own, as CS can still overwhelm your defenses, especially considering it will likely be used right around the time your wards start dropping. All in all, not difficult.
[+]
 Asura.Loneshadow
By Asura.Loneshadow 2013-04-09 06:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Would Justiciar's beat EleGorget for Reso on RUN because of low ATK? Or is fTP boost from gorget just too good?
 Sylph.Dasanuffadat
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Dasanuffadat 2013-04-09 07:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

On the Umbril comment, I know all variations I've fought are weak to fire.

Question: Would an Ignis Gambit inflict the mob with Ice or Fire elemental defense - ?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-09 07:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Gambit gives weakness to the same element used.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-09 07:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN's JA's have too long a recast to be useful for generating hate. 5 and 10min is entirely too long. SE mentioned doing something to foil so that might be a decent source.
By darthmaull 2013-04-09 07:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
RUN's JA's have too long a recast to be useful for generating hate. 5 and 10min is entirely too long. SE mentioned doing something to foil so that might be a decent source.

Are you even playing the job at 99? I KNOW I'm not dealing the most damage but I am able to pull and maintain hate. You keep posting about damage being the only way to tank but that is not the case with 99 RUN.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-09 08:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate generation is decent from run, but it still remain very tough to hold it against any dd who's putting effort into dealing the highest amount of damage.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2013-04-09 08:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Not hard to hold hate low-manning, but I'd like to see RUN try to tank some new, end game mob. I doubt it'd go well, but it may be a learning experience.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-09 08:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue it seems is many keep playing RUN like its a wannabe drk and not a tank. Keep rotating your runes and other JA (Runes 3x ->Valiance then Gambit then Runes 3x then lunge are sweet) seems very effective along with flash. The key is constant work not just whack it with a GS your sub helps I am testing with different subs never /sam on a caster seems meh at best again not trying to be a dd, now /pld(auto-refresh, sentinel), /blu (cocoon) for damage mitigation and /war for voke and defender every little bit helps lol.

Quote:
By darthmaull 2013-04-09 08:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

kenshynofshiva said: »
The issue it seems is many keep playing RUN like its a wannabe drk and not a tank. Keep rotating your runes and other JA (Runes 3x ->Valiance then Gambit then Runes 3x then lunge are sweet) seems very effective along with flash. The key is constant work not just whack it with a GS your sub helps I am testing with different subs never /sam on a caster seems meh at best again not trying to be a dd, now /pld(auto-refresh, sentinel), /blu (cocoon) for damage mitigation and /war for voke and defender every little bit helps lol.

Quote:

I agree. Seems like alot of people are trying to play it as some new damage dealer. I haven't tried /Sam and I probably won't because I'm trying to use RUN as a tank. I have tried /war, /sch, /dnc and /blu. Presently I like /dnc for tanking. I don't see a real need to WS seeing that all the GS WS are meh. It is also holding the best hate and I like that I can erase myself if I miss a chance to resist a status ailment. I'm also getting about 360-370 a heal when needed from myself which also helps with generating hate. I have only done low man parties but once I have parry fully skilled and enhancing ill try some NM's.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2013-04-09 08:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

darthmaull said: »
kenshynofshiva said: »

Quote:

I agree. Seems like alot of people are trying to play it as some new damage dealer. I haven't tried /Sam and I probably won't because I'm trying to use RUN as a tank. I have tried /war, /sch, /dnc and /blu. Presently I like /dnc for tanking. I don't see a real need to WS seeing that all the GS WS are meh. It is also holding the best hate and I like that I can erase myself if I miss a chance to resist a status ailment. I'm also getting about 360-370 a heal when needed from myself which also helps with generating hate. I have only done low man parties but once I have parry fully skilled and enhancing ill try some NM's.

Resolution says "Hello."

I use /SAM, not to DD, but because I feel that if you're throwing more WSs at the mob, it's easier to keep hate, but I think your Seigan/Third Eye macro should be you "Oh, s*it!" button. Atleast I prefer not to use Seigan or Hasso, /SAM, I mainly use for Medidtate and Store TP.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-09 08:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally find using run as a full blown tank as wrong as trying to make it a drk v2. Run is a hybrid job, it deals decent damage while supporting the group with things like One for all and Valiance, while making some synergy with nukers through gambit - and possibly the neverending attempt from SE to revive elemental weapon skills...

I'd love to try my Fire Shot Wildfire after a triple Ingis gambit! :3
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 188 189 190