A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 99 100 101
 Sylph.Organic
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-27 07:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP Embrava

Gone, but not forgotten
By Miico 2013-03-27 07:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

T.T
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-03-31 08:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't actually logged on since the expansion. Very little stands out sch wise to me this update (bar of course, the embrava nerf). Fast cast pants apparently are same as fea's and i'm waiting to see how much mp/tic the new body is.

I've been thinking about it and I think scholar some ground with its slot at events. I'll need to revamp a lot of the original guide, but for the time being I'll mention the points the embrava nerf affects here as best as I see it. I also have no idea how GEO/RUN are at all so all of this is tentative opinion.

NNI: I'd still think bringing 1 scholar is good for regen/phalanx/enspells and at one point embrava. It will however not be necessary and I definitely do not think bringing 2 is worth the slot. Bring a rdm or whm instead if you want a 2nd healer to go w/ your brd.

Salvage/meebles: No change, embrava was already nerfed.

Odin v2: If your group zergs the last 50% (as I assume most do), I'd still bring at least 1 sch. Embrava still is a good way to get rid of kaustra, and is an undispelable form of haste. Regen V and adloq still are useful.

Legion: I think scholars are still worth bringing as embrava can buy you 7~ minutes of your brd giving the DDs extra nonmarch songs/fix an unlucky kaustra/effectively chainstun. I can not however conclusively say it is the best, and I would very likely argue that at least 1 of the scholars should switch to rdm/blm. I think that the "ideal" legion build will probably be looked at by many groups over the next few weeks depending on the att/defense changes and what not and may write out most if not all scholars rolls. I strongly doubt however that builds using schs as stunners will be unusable.

ADL: Scholar's use is probably dead. Lvl Whm brd, or (depending on group) MAYBE rdm if you don't have a melee.

New content: I promise I'll actually log in sometime and try it.
 Sylph.Organic
user: Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-04-01 18:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a new SCH G5 record on Sylph this week...

...get some!
 Siren.Aerolite
Server: Siren
user: Daily
By Siren.Aerolite 2013-04-13 16:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been more than 2 weeks since the expansion was released, and this guide still hasn't been updated. D: Considering how important the last update was for scholar, I kind of feel like we've been abandoned.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-13 19:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Aerolite said: »
It's been more than 2 weeks since the expansion was released, and this guide still hasn't been updated. D: Considering how important the last update was for scholar, I kind of feel like we've been abandoned.

I'll try my bestest to update it this weekend. Haven't played since the update so few questions incase I miss stuff skimming through BG:

1) Opinions on scholar in the expansion events? Good points, bad points, giant *** mobs that need to be stun locked?

2) Has anyone already mathed the 70mab+18int staff vs ToM staves for dmg already? I don't mind doing it but if its already done it would save me a few minutes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-04-13 19:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

In he reives, Sch/drk can fast cast absorb tp the roots every 12-16 seconds. While everyone beats them down. In doing so you get 100+ tp every round. Then spam Shattersoul. You will get good exp for this.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-14 01:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

bump for firsthand accounts of sch in skirmish? Seems like basic keep people alive stuff but want to make sure. Logged in today to talk to some people on my server that have been actually playing so I got some info about reives.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2013-04-14 02:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH in Skirmish is pretty much the same as Nyzul. Only issue to me seemed to be the absurd amount of debuffs you need to remove when fighting the Acuex and Umbril mobs in Cirdas.
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2013-04-14 02:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

***, I thought that was Mag that bumped this. c.c

Was like wat.
[+]
 Cerberus.Bikpik
Server: Cerberus
user: Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-04-14 18:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 296789

Shield - Cure Potency 5%, Cure Spellcasting Time -8%

What do you think of this cure set?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-15 11:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I updated the OPs mostly. still need to put up some stuff about update, but the gear should be good and event run downs should be less embrava focused.

As for your cure set; most of it is solid, but switching the club+shield to chatoyant staff would be a noticeable improvement.
[+]
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-04-15 12:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
I updated the OPs mostly. still need to put up some stuff about update, but the gear should be good and event run downs should be less embrava focused.

As for your cure set; most of it is solid, but switching the club+shield to chatoyant staff would be a noticeable improvement.

My bad I didn't take Iridescence into account, however, if you have double light and lightsday, you can cap weather bonus with twilight cape, making tefnut and genbu's better, which will probably only happen in Temenos anyways.

Plus I'm kinda of working on separating my gear sets into events, because it is getting really difficult to keep the space available for all these sets, I will post when I have it figured out.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-15 12:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, I have a good 120+ pieces for scholar that I always have to shuffle about. I had intended when I first made the guide to make "ideal inventories" that would be what I considered the best 80 things to bring to each event, but I kinda gave up on that project. If/when you finish I'd happily toss it into the OP.
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-04-16 03:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

In your standard nuke set, I'm not sure I agree with suggesting Nares Cuffs and stating Morrigan+1 only for if Macc is low. Swapping them to Morrigan Cuffs +1 would be a gain of +1MAB +11Macc in exchange for a loss of 2INT. That sounds like a solid trade off.
Furthermore, with Ebullience up you won't be using Nares head, so won't have the 2INT set bonus, so swapping to Morrigan Cuffs +1 will be a direct increase of 1MAB and 11Macc with no drawbacks.

As-good-as-equal damage with Ebullience down, better damage with Ebullience up, as well as higher accuracy in both cases - I believe that's a solid argument for suggesting Morrigan+1 over Nares as your "standard" piece.
[+]
 Siren.Aerolite
By Siren.Aerolite 2013-04-16 13:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, aren't Orvail Cuffs better than AF3+2 for helices?
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-16 18:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You two are right on both accounts. I swore I remember the set bonus being 2 mab. updating it now!
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2013-04-27 01:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I was curious about a good stun set. As somebody who has a 99% chance of never creating a -recast time staff, how good can I actually get the recast? Would it still be worth it without the staff, or is that legitimately the piece that holds the set together?

I have terrible VW luck, so some pieces are out of my reach at this moment,but are there any suggestions for either purchasable or easily attained pieces that I should add to this?

ItemSet 298645

Also, I suck at math, so is goading really better than the haste and FC from witful?

EDIT: Forgot Zelus. Still need to get that damn thing though.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-27 01:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Goliard body is probably the easiest haste body. I'd really try to get the recast staff though. Without embrava being a key factor anymore, maximizing your stun set is going to one of the biggest factors keeping your scholar relevant. rest of the set looks like a pretty solid starting set. Goading>witful at high haste values. I think it was most of the low values also, but I forgot the cut off number if there was one.
[+]
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-05-01 09:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The new items that can Sch can use

New Helix head

Not as good as Morrigan's +1, if using other pieces of Morrigan's +1, but will probably be augmented in the future
bokwus-robe

Best nuking hands

New curing hands

Best nuking neck

New set of earrings for enfeebling

New enfeebling ring

New nuking ring (if magic bursting comes back)

New Helix back(Taubran I think is still better though)

New enfeebling grip

New nuking staff (not sure of the math, but probably better than Chatoyant Staff at least)
[+]
By Baniak 2013-05-04 10:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad most of the best equip from above is probably direct drop from Naakuals inside Delve so most likely out of reach for LSless players.
 Siren.Aerolite
By Siren.Aerolite 2013-05-07 22:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So it seems that a fully upgraded Soothsayer Staff on the MAB path will look something like:

DMG:145 Delay:366 MP+50 INT+20 MND+10 Magic Accuracy+15 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+65

That means that if Lehbrailg really can get a MAB+30, INT+18 augment (which I have yet to see), it would still win.

DMG:96 Delay:366 INT+18 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+70

You'd basically be trading 49 base DMG(!), 2 INT, 10 MND(lol), and 15 M.ACC for 5 MAB.

One thing I'm currently wondering is at what point would either staff become stronger than the 99 Magians against Delve-type mobs?
 Ragnarok.Bepe
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2013-05-11 23:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to make a small addition here.

The bokwus robe and legs are the ebst nuking body and legs when lvl 15 augmented.

The head is the best nuking head with ebullience and the feet are the best nuking feet without klimaform. This is with all lvl 15 augments. I think the legs pull ahead of akasha at rank10 augment? The body blows everything away even without augments.

For cure sets, Heka body + bokwus hands + nares legs + phalaine neck + chatoyant = 49% cure potency. Don't even really need the iaso head piece anymore. The new 20 mind headpiece will probably do more for cures than iaso without rapture right?
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-05-12 07:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bepe said: »
The body blows everything away even without augments.
No. Without augments, the increase over Morri+1 is 1MaB. The increase over AF3+2 is 2MaB and 1INT which, like morri+1, wont be worth the 11Macc trade off against anything important.

So no, without augments, the nody doesn't blow away anything. It's only worthwhile (apart from as an idle refresh piece) when you start augmenting it.
 Ragnarok.Bepe
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2013-05-12 08:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

FINE! If you got to be picky! Augment 1 = 6 MAB for 30 RP... sooooooooo Augment 1 = blow everything away. However for sheer damage not counting Magic acc, bokwus robe still beats everything even when unaugmented, this is what I was going for with that statement. Besides even on important things, If you are nuking with weather, klimaform, obi and twilight you should barely have any magic acc issues. My resist rate in delve without adding any of my elemental set is probably 20% from eyeballing. Have your bard toss a threnody and that basically covers all resists. The delve bosses will probably need a resist set though if they really are that much stronger than delve t1-5. When in doubt 5/5 focalization!. I don't care what everyone else says, focalization is my baby and I'm never changing it :P
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-12 11:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: nvm.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-05-12 17:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
I'm looking for 1-2 people that would be interested in keeping this guide up to date. I feel bad leaving it unattended, but have basically no motivation to do much with it given I haven't played in over a month now. I've converted it to a node(still working on the kinks) so it will be easy for you to takeover and edit it. PM if interested!

Why quit ffxi? Move on to FF14?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-12 18:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: gonna mess around on game cause schools over. Updates to come!
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-15 12:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated gear post. Have more to post later in other sections and to round out gear section.
[+]
By Dantedmc 2013-05-15 15:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all your hard work, its really appreciated!
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 99 100 101